Honored Contributor

Re: Cholesterol Meds - Side Affects

[ Edited ]

I was perfectly healthy ... then ...

Back about 2006 or so, I took Lipitor for 8 months .... it got to the point I could barely lift my leg to go up stairs.  My legs felt like they were made of lead.

I got optical migraines and vertigo.   Developed tinnitus.   I happened to see one of those drug commercials on TV where they listed all the side effects and realized it was the pills ... I dumped them in the toilet and emailed the doctor and told her I wasn't taking them anymore.

I subsequently learned that it's not the cholesterol numbers but rather the ratio between the "good" and "bad" cholesterol numbers.  

One of my cousins had the same issues, and the wife of a former co-worker ended up in a wheel chair and needed PT to walk again.

Google some recent medical journal articles ... lots of recent into out there.

Those pills are killers.

Esteemed Contributor

Check
hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I take Lipitor as well. To avoid all of the muscle and joint pain, my doctor has me take one pill every OTHER day. It works beautifully for me.  I never experience any pain at all.

Trusted Contributor

I have been taking Crestor for about 25 years with, seemingly, no problems.  

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

My hubby takes Lipator and never had an issue, he did take another statin before that gave him issues

@I am still oxox 

Thank you!  I take the generic version of this.  Glad your DH has no problems! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I cannot take Lipitor because of the leg aches I experienced.  I now take Pravastatin.

@Krimpette 

Glad you found one that worked for you!  I hope you are pain free now.  Thanks for your post! 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Atorvastatin here. No problems. But....everyone is different. What will give one person pain will not give another pain. 

@proudlyfromNJ 

Thanks!  The dr. thought this would be a good one for me and it is low dose but not so good.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I was prescribed Lovastatin when my LDL was high. At first I had constipation then that went away but it caused my A1C to go up to a pre-diabetic range. I'm no longer taking that drug. I have successfully achieved normal levels of cholesterol and A1C through diet, exercise and taking the supplement berberine. It's the berberine that has really made a difference for me. I'm 63 and all of my numbers are normal. I am Rx-drug-free and I am very grateful for that.

NIH publication:  

"Berberine--a novel approach to cholesterol lowering"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15926873

@SilleeMee 

Thank you for replying.  I never heard of berberine.  I have been trying to watch my diet more and walking more so I am hoping this helps.  

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Yes, my DH had bad side effects from Statin drugs.  The solution came from our PCP, internal medicine doctor.  He highly recommended “Cholestoff Complete,” an over-the-counter medication.  It has to be the “Complete” version.

Our cardiologist had never heard of this and was skeptical, but was open to DH trying it, all the while checking on DH’s blood work with frequent testing.  Guess what?  It worked so well that our cardiologist was amazed.  If you can believe this, he has told DH he now recommends “Cholestoff Complete” to his patients.  

Should you you decide to go this route, you should not try anything without your doctor agreeing and monitoring your trial.  Side effects from statin meds are now well known.  Some people have no problems, but others suffer from side effects that they should not have to live with.

Best of luck to you.  I am sorry for the side effects you are experiencing.  

Pam

@PamfromCT 

Thanks for your post and for the suggested med!  I am going to see what my dr. thinks.  I am now fearful to try any of the other statins!!!!  

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@AngelPuppy1   I take the generic form of Zocor and have never had any side effects.      I don't know what drug my cousin took for his high cholesterol but it affected his muscles so much that he had to stop taking the medication...  Don't know what he took though...

@KatieB 

Thanks.  I am glad you have good results!