Trusted Contributor

Re: Choice between steroid shot for knee pain or Physical therapy?

My ortho doc sent me for physical therapy....including swim therapy.  Did wonders for my knees.......while I was going.  

At some point, I'd like to get back to swim therapy.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

I can't speak to knee pain or issues.  I have arthritis in my spine.  My doctor sent me to a PT at our local hospital Wellness Center. 

I was in constant pain and it was difficult to even move.  I started with a physical therapist in October and I am a new woman.  I go twice a week.  She started with traction, ultrasound with heat, and electric stimulation.  Then she had me start simple then more challenging floor exercises and now I am using several of the exercise machines at the center.  Physical therapy worked for me.  I am virtually pain free and able to move and walk without pain.  The exercises and trips to the Wellness Center are now part of my lifestyle. 

Based on my experience and my doctor's recommendation, physical therapy is better than any drug they could have given me. 

Be sure you check with your doctor.  I would recommend PT first then if that didn't help discuss other options with you doctor.  Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Which did/or would you do?

I'm checking on the shot. I may look into Tai Chi.  I can do that w/o a machine! Really want to hear what others have chosen.  Good/bad or ?

Thanks

@qualitygal

Question ....   Are you under the impression that both will produce the same outcome?

IMO, do both.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

wrote:

wrote:

I'm checking on the shot. I may look into Tai Chi.  I can do that w/o a machine! Really want to hear what others have chosen.  Good/bad or ?

Thanks

@qualitygal

Question ....   Are you under the impression that both will produce the same outcome?

IMO, do both.

Not under any impression, just no knowledge as to what to expect. But I'm going for the shot on Monday morning. 

Honored Contributor

It depends on what's causing the knee pain but like someone before me said, do both.  PT did nothing for my knee pain but my pain was caused by osteoarthritis and it was pretty bad.  I just had a left knee replacement a week ago.  I got excellent results from the steroid injections that were done in interventional radiology.  I would get 8-10 weeks of nice pain relief.  But I needed to actually do something about my knee so I opted for TKR surgery.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Thanks

@qualitygal

What would I do? I think you have read of my posts here to know my answer. For me, for any injury/pain or body issue, I would always choose Physical Therapy if it is an option. Shots are not usually a permanent solution, but Physical Therapy(when continued forever, not X number of weeks or months) can many times be a permanent solution.

My sister is a higher level Tai Chi Instructor and she could not do anything with it that would help her injured knee(caused by 1 of her horses). Her son and son-in-law are both Medical Doctors, and they agreed that Physical Therapy would help her the most.

Many choose "shots" because it is effortless for them, as opposed to actually having to physically do something to help themselves. It's a WHO ME? Exercise! 

I don't know your knee situation and I will leave that part up to you and your doctors. 

Just like my present recovery from my surgery a week ago, if my choice were a shot or what I am now doing to recover(yes, exercising) right now? I like my body to be able to move and right now my only 2 options to recovery are to sit on my beehind and do nothing, or keep my body moving. I am moving pretty well considering I am only a week out, and I am a very chronologically old man.

You asked and I am pretty sure you knew what my choice would be. Hope you get some relief if this knee is bothering you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

If it is arthritis has synvisc injections been suggested?

It is a gel made from the combs of roosters. I have been getting shots every 6 mos since 2005. Definitely helps,

without side effects, except soreness at injection site.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

If it is arthritis has synvisc injections been suggested?

It is a gel made from the combs of roosters. I have been getting shots every 6 mos since 2005. Definitely helps,

without side effects, except soreness at injection site.

We'll talk on Monday and may start with shots, he'll have to explain what the xray said on my xrays.  I trust him and I'll do whatever I need to, to get back what I can, if I can.  He said at last visit we'd try some of these steps first, before we got to any surgery. I say yes to that idea.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

Are you talking about a cortisone injection?  What is the diagnosis for your knee pain?  I had a knee replacement about 5 years ago and have continual pain.  No injections work for me.  I'm scheduled for a debridement (to remove scar tissue around the knee cap).

@henderson

I was curious about diagnosis as well.

Really sorry to hear about the pain you've been experiencing since your TKA 5 years ago.  Good luck with scar tissue debridement!  I never had pain prior to my left knee TKA, as my issue was the development of a "valgus knee."  My left knee was slowly bending inward, which was causing that knee to collapse as I was walking.  Not good!  So, I really needed to have the replacement surgery to keep me from falling.  Makes sense, right?  Now I wish I would have chosen to wear a brace for the rest of my life, because my surgeon nearly severed 2 nerves causing great damage and horribly injured the insertion of the iliotibial band.  This last wakes me up every night around 4 a.m. and I struggle to get more sleep.  It's simply horrible.  2 different orthos have mis-diagnosed me, indicating I have ITB syndrome, which I don't, because I can stretch that puppy and have no issue with it.  It's the insertion point near the knee that's so very painful and was mangled during surgery.  Heck, my operating surgeon admitted that was the issue.  (Plus, per me and MRI, my left knee is swollen to twice its size, with apparently nothing to be done about it.)  Enough said.  Again, all the best of luck to you regarding your surgery.  Hope it does the trick for you. 

Esteemed Contributor

My vote and experience is Physical Therapy first.