Honored Contributor

Like I need another reason to eat chocolate.....

Honored Contributor

@cherry I have found that chocolate calms a cough. Not sure if it is psychosomatic or it really does the trick! Don't care......love a reason to eat chocolate. Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: Chocolate calms coughs

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

LYNCHBURG, Va. (WSET) -- An upper respiratory infection has been circulating recently, leaving everyone with a dry and itchy throat.

For those of you battling the constant cough, British doctors recommend indulging in some milk chocolate rather than cough syrup.

University of Hull professor Alyn Morice told The Daily Record that chocolate can actually "calm coughs."

Professor Morice, the head of cardiovascular and respiratory studies and founding member of the International Society for the Study of Cough, wrote that researchers have gotten results of a recent study of over-the-counter cough medicine that contains cocoa.

A study of 163 people showed that patients saw improvements in two days with the cocoa medicine.

Researchers found that theobromine, an alkaloid in cocoa, is better at suppressing your urge to cough because it's sticky, which Morice said forms a coating on your throat's nerve endings.

"This demulcent effect explains why honey and lemon and other sugary syrups can help, but I think there is something more going on with chocolate," Morice added.

Perhaps it's MILK chocolate because the recommendation comes from British doctors.  It's my understanding that in Great Britain the favored chocolate is milk chocolate, while elsewhere it's dark.  So maybe it's not a dictate, but a kowtowing to and/or understanding of local preferences.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

If a child has a cough, I doubt they would eat dark choc. It is so bitter tasting. An older person might prefer it ,but ,when you are dealing with a young ill child, milk choc is what they would take  easily

As far as the extra sugar, cough med ,is full of sugar ,anyway

Honored Contributor

Saying candy is medicine is ludicrous.

Giving a child milk chocolate has so many levels of wrong.

Start the addiction at a young age...keep them hooked.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach Thank you for posting that information. Very interesting!

Late this afternoon at work, one of the bosses was coughing and hacking away. Actually, he has been doing that off and on for the past week or so. I decided to give him one of my dark chocolate (74%) pieces, just to see if it would work. Didn't say much, just: "This helps me when I start to cough." He thought it was some type of medication wrapped in chocolate! ha! Told him not to chew it, but let it melt slowly in his mouth.

He took it and nothing happened. He asked for another one because he liked the taste of it. Around 30 minutes later, he had stopped coughing. Walked by my desk and said, "Thanks! That did the trick!"  LOL!!!

Coincidence? Don't know, but it works for me, and at least once it worked for him. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't let other people tell me how to raise my childern, nor ,do I decide how other people ,should raise theirs. It has worked out wonderfully well for all of us..

Honored Contributor

Modern day diseases like heart disease, obesity and diabetes

don’t just happen overnight. Years of eating poorly with

lots of sugar, chemicals & fat is yielding record numbers of 

sick adults & unfortunately, children. People will feed their kids

chocolate as medicine & when that child is sick with

high cholesterol or T2 diabetes, the parent is always quick

to say ‘it’s genetic’ when it’s not. It’s a food borne disease

which can be easily reversed.  

Reports like this do more harm than good.

As the good doctor says,

“People like to hear good things about their bad habits.”

Honored Contributor

I never pay any attention to  unsolicited advice ,especially when people are shilling for someone . Follow the money

Honored Contributor

Reports coming out implying chocolate is medicine...follow the money.