Honored Contributor

Re: Chinese manufacture of our pharmaceuticals is a national security issue

@Mindy D wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's very worrisome but there isn't a darn thing we can do about it if we must take prescription medication.  You can make yourself ill worrying about this sort of thing.  Heaven knows, you've given us more than enough to worry about @Mindy D .

We, as a country, and our government, need to fork over as much money as it takes to get these medicines made over here. This is a huge risk for all of us and in this case, it is a matter of money. If we can spend money for military defense we can spend money for defense of our lives. 

Oklahoma just had a big court case about opioid makers and got a huge settlement.  In my mind it should go to encourage companies to manufacture drugs we need and do it in this country under close supervision.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's very worrisome but there isn't a darn thing we can do about it if we must take prescription medication.  You can make yourself ill worrying about this sort of thing.  Heaven knows, you've given us more than enough to worry about @Mindy D .

Kachina, the issue is;  what if you don’t have anymore of your prescription medication to take because it is no longer available?

Respected Contributor

I am on Losartan and get bombarded constantly with updates from my insurance company and drug store.  At least every other month I am at the drug store having them verify that my batch isn't contaminated.  I can't begin to tell you what I think of our pharmaceutical companies.  We are at their mercy.  

Honored Contributor

We are allowing ourselves to become vulnerable. China has a monopoly on antibiotics. It also leads in manufacture of blood pressure medicines we use here. China dominates the generic drug market worldwide. Approximately 90% of the drugs Americans take are generics. The FDA has said that approximately 80% of the manufacturers of active ingredients in drugs are outside the US.  Even though India is a close second in this, India gets 80% of their ingredients from China! We are putting all of our lives in jeopardy. This is a major national security issue.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

Remember years ago - all the dogs dying from eating dogfood made in China. Remember years ago how many people got sick and died from the wallboard installed in their new homes? Never buy toothpaste made in China. Their standards are very low!!!!

they have to meet our quality standards, and my guess is that anything that is imported by a company has to meet the FDA requirements for certain goods.

So when these things come into the US they are tested. I worked for a big manufacturing company and we literally tested everything that we received for quality. 

Actually there are some countries that refuse our products because they are worried that our goods don’t meet their standards.  There is a lot of concern about our genetically modified foods, and some countries will not accept them. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

yes, this is a problem, especially if heaven forbid there is a war.

this country has outsourced itself almost to death.

the fda is not what it use to be. money talks and you know what walks.

hopefully, this country still keeps a multi year stock pile of some meds, for emergencies.

pharmaceutical companies are doing this because it saves them money, even though the prices just keep going up. it allows for the top executives to get bigger salaries and bonuses. as some would say (not me), this is nothing more than capitalism at its finest. and lets not forget about the shareholders, who often dictate how to cut back and make more money.

companies have the money to make more meds here. they just want the easy out. they want fewer people on the payroll, less benefits, etc etc. they don't need or deserve a government handout for that.

not sure what we, the people can do about it, other then sit on the neck of all those running for prez and insist that they require at least a certain amount of meds to be made here, without any ingredients from china.

what good is affordable health care, when the meds can make you sick or worse?

if andrew lessman can do it on his own, surely pharmaceutical conglomerates can source safe products and/or make them here.

what we the people can do on own own, is to eat much better, lose weight, eat veggies, stop buying processed foods, exercise, strengthen our immune system, etc etc, to prevent from getting sick in the first place.

not to be mean, but a lot of this countries medical problems are self inflicted. just because fast food is everywhere, doesn't mean people need to eat it, especially not several times a week.

didn't jeff bezos buy a pharmaceutical company a few years ago? who knows, maybe he will step up to the plate and have some meds made here.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

I am on Losartan and get bombarded constantly with updates from my insurance company and drug store.  At least every other month I am at the drug store having them verify that my batch isn't contaminated.  I can't begin to tell you what I think of our pharmaceutical companies.  We are at their mercy.  

Me too & it's scary!

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Kachina, the issue is;  what if you don’t have anymore of your prescription medication to take because it is no longer available?

@Mindy D. The problem with all these gloom and doom posts is that many people read them, including less educated, naive, elderly people.  It's scary for us but could be terrifying for them, so much so that they might quit taking their much-needed medication..   When you post something like that, you assume the responsibility for the condequences, although you may never know about the outcome.

I'd like to say what I think, but can't as it would be political so I'll just rest my case. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Also, most of our food is made in China or some of the ingredients that go into American manufactured food as well. You won’t hear leaders on either side addressing the biggest problems in our country, toxic subtances in our drugs, food supply and local water. They are too concerned with worrying about small petty problems in our society to deal with the big ones. The things that are really killing people now you won’t hear any of them talk about. Mainly our mostly toxic pharmaceuticals, our toxic food chain, and what our local water companies are treating our water supplies with. (Aluminum...etc) I do what I can to be healthy and like to stay informed, but really it’s gone so far now that it’s in God’s hands. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mindy D. The problem with all these gloom and doom posts is that many people read them, including less educated, naive, elderly people.  It's scary for us but could be terrifying for them, so much so that they might quit taking their much-needed medication..   When you post something like that, you assume the responsibility for the condequences, although you may never know about the outcome.

I'd like to say what I think, but can't as it would be political so I'll just rest my case. 

@Kachina624  If posting the truth here is somehow intimidating because current facts and reality are too scary for people to know, then certain people should not read this forum. Many of us like to stay informed and don’t want to put our head in the sand. We like informational as well as uplifting forums. Others can read the uplifting and entertaining forums if they find current day issues too disturbing. People read what their interested in, and no one is forcing them to do anything. We call that freedom to choose. Thank God it still exists.