Respected Contributor

Re: Chest pain from coughing...

@AKgirl2 wrote:

My SIL start d with bronchitis, it then went into pneumonia p.  she was having horrible chest pain with coughing.  Bottom line was that she had pleurisy.  She was quite ill for a couple of months.  I had bronchitis a very long time ago and experienced bad pain in the rib cage area while coughing.  I found out that with the constant and intense coughing, I had a cracked/fractured rib.

Thank you for the information.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@truffle wrote:

@sktchy wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I thought I might have fractured a rib but the xrays don't indicate that.  I still have pain on the right side behind my breast.  The doctor, family practise also told me that I could have lung disease from scarring and recommended a CT scan.  I feel I should go to a pulmonologist. 

My question is has anyone ever had a chest ultrasound for chest pain instead of a CT scan?  I don't want to be irradiated and if the chest ultrasound was not able to show anything then an MRI.  

Also, for pain did you take tylenol or ibuprofen?  

Thanx

Get that CT scan - right now.  As another poster indicated - the benefits far outweigh the possible harm you feel you may experience with a CT.  I don't understand why you feel anything could be found with an ultra sound.  That CT is intensive.  

Are you coughing up anything ?  Fever ?  Fatique ?  Weight-loss ?  

No, I'm not coughing anything up.  No fever and no fatique except when I'm not getting enough sleep from the pain.  No weight loss.  I'm sorry but I don't buy into it that cumulative inonizing radiation is okay for the body just because it's used in a diagnostic tool.   I am not having a CT scan.  

@truffle I'm with you on cumulative radiation. I don't buy it when they say oh it's such a small amount krap.

I would go to the pulmonologist like you said & go from there. If it does not clear up you probably do need some type of test done so they can see what's going on. MRI would be great but Insurance would not pay for it. Ins always has them use the cheaper more harmful route first. Hope you can find something to help with the pain.

Respected Contributor

I'm going to lay down now.  thank you one and all.  

Respected Contributor

you need a cat scan. I had no symptoms at all but a slight cough.  Wound up in the hospital with a chest tube.  Worse case of pneumonia they had seen in awhile.. I have to stress, I did not have any of the normal symptoms.  I felt fine

Esteemed Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@truffle  I've had many a bout with bronchitis, so I have a lot of experience with this.  One thing I'll mention is that you may have pulled a muscle or twisted the cartilage where your ribs meet on your side.  I've done this, and it's very painful.  It takes quite awhile to heal completely.  It would hurt so much than I could only take shallow breaths without pain.  Ibuprofen works best for any type of inflamatory pain.......just make sure you don't take it on an empty stomach.

Thanx @2blonde I'm hoping that's all it is.  

I pulled a muscle under my breast area also a couple years back.....quite painful for a while.....hurt breathing deep, twisting, etc....went away...but after some time....

good luck...hope you find cause....went to a orthopedist who advised me it was a pulled muscle...

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I thought I might have fractured a rib but the xrays don't indicate that.  I still have pain on the right side behind my breast.  The doctor, family practise also told me that I could have lung disease from scarring and recommended a CT scan.  I feel I should go to a pulmonologist. 

My question is has anyone ever had a chest ultrasound for chest pain instead of a CT scan?  I don't want to be irradiated and if the chest ultrasound was not able to show anything then an MRI.  

Also, for pain did you take tylenol or ibuprofen?  

Thanx

@truffle

What caused your lung scarring? Mine are scarred from having the regular type of pneumonia twice, and Aspiration Pneumonia with heart attack #1. I personally would see a Pulmonologist, which I do, and have since 2002 with my 1st battle with PE(lung blood clots).

Took me over a year of coughing/Nebulizer treatments 3 times a day(at home), and using my Motivator(Spirometer) at least once every waking hour. This was trying to recover from Aspiration Pneumonia.

My chest hurt most of the time as it was coughing for months, with fluid coming up. I have had 5 broken ribs with 3 different injuries. Coughing like I was was nowhere close to the pain level as my broken ribs.

I have had many Ultrasounds of my lungs. For over 5 years I had a nodule on 1 lung or the other. I had them every 3 months for a year, then every 6 months for 2 years. Now I have them every 2 years.

Also had both Contrasting CAT Scans and Non- contrasting over that same period of time. I unfortunately also had a nodule on my right kidney that required both of the above. Same deal as lungs pretty much, just not as often.

I have had so much radiation and nuclear scans in the last 15 years, I should be glowing in the dark. My concern is more on following the problem than on what tests they require. While I certainly understand your concern with a CAT Scan, I personally am way past even giving it a thought..

Hope things work out well for you as I certainly can relate to the long term coughing, and certainly with chest and rib pain.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I'm going to lay down now.  thank you one and all.  

@truffle I had very bad chest wall pain recently -- mostly problematic at night and excruciating when I would get out of bed.  My doc told me it was most likely costochronditis. It took 4-6 weeks to clear up.  

Super Contributor

I have had that also...very painfull .. could only take shallow breaths....had another

coughing fit and did crack a rib....that was more painfull ... but everything healed

in time...

Respected Contributor

@Big Joanie @tansy @hckynut thank you for your posts to me.  I have become depressed over this health issue and will pursue more information in the coming days, and weeks.  

In case I left anyone else out, thank you.  

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Big Joanie @tansy @hckynut thank you for your posts to me.  I have become depressed over this health issue and will pursue more information in the coming days, and weeks.  

In case I left anyone else out, thank you.  

@truffle

You're welcome. I understand long term pain and how it can mentally wear on a person if they allow it. For me I always looked at the injury/and life and death issues with optimism. 

There probably are no worse patients than athletically involved individuals. After time the physical pain becomes the secondary issue. Mental issues become one's primary adversary. Dealing with this is never easy and my best ally has and will always be optimism.

My best to you in dealing with this issue.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)