Honored Contributor

Chemoprevention of Breast Cancer With Vitamins and Micronutrients: A Concise Review

[ Edited ]

A review of studies on this issue was made and and an analysis written here. Studies were animal and in vitro studies and epidemiological studies in humans. This review is not brand new, coming out in 2919, but I thought some here might be interested.

From the Results:

"We identified 4 vitamins: i) vitamin D3, ii) folate, iii) vitamin B6, and iv) beta carotene, 2 spices: i) curcumin and ii) piperine and 5 micronutrients: i) sulforaphane, ii) indole-3-carbinol, iii) quercetin, iv) epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) and v) omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) associated with lower risks of breast cancer risk and/or recurrence. 

Mokbel, K., & Mokbel, K. (2019). Chemoprevention of Breast Cancer With Vitamins and Micronutrients: A Concise Review. In vivo (Athens, Greece), 33(4), 983–997. https://doi.org/10.21873/invivo.11568

The full Review can be read here 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjoz4SvjKbvAhWHbs0KHfmhBnUQ...

Professor Kefah Mokbel FRCS is the lead consultant breast surgeon at the London Breast Institute of the Princess Grace Hospital, Professor (Honorary) of Breast Cancer Surgery at Brunel University London, an honorary consultant ...St George's Hospital.

Honored Contributor

Re: Chemoprevention of Breast Cancer With Vitamins and Micronutrients: A Concise Review

[ Edited ]

I have been taking preventative breast cancer supplements for well over 25 years every day. I worked in the natural food and supplement industy for many many years.  I take daily among many other things....

5000 IU of vitamin D

Indol carbonal 3,

mushrooms...

DIM

Calcium D Glucarate.

flax seed lignan.

My Mother had breast cancer so as a young woman I was always conscious of prevention therapies.

Regular Contributor

Re: Chemoprevention of Breast Cancer With Vitamins and Micronutrients: A Concise Review

Thank you for this, Mindy.

Seannie

Respected Contributor

That is kind of a misnomer and misleading name - "chemoprevention". (I know it's not your term, Mindy) No one knows that if you do get breast cancer, if you may need chemo or not, depending on many criteria.  My sister didn't need chemo, I did.

That's quite a regimen they have.  My breast cancer surgeon put me on extra Vit D and fish oil.  I also take Chaga and Reishi mushroom powders (Jing Herbs, great place to get them and others) and have been cancer free for 8 years now.

Aslo had a full dose of 2 different kinds of chemo for my very aggressive type of cancer - my diagnosis was nothing to fool around with.

Happy to be alive!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

That is kind of a misnomer and misleading name - "chemoprevention". (I know it's not your term, Mindy) No one knows that if you do get breast cancer, if you may need chemo or not, depending on many criteria.  My sister didn't need chemo, I did.

That's quite a regimen they have.  My breast cancer surgeon put me on extra Vit D and fish oil.  I also take Chaga and Reishi mushroom powders (Jing Herbs, great place to get them and others) and have been cancer free for 8 years now.

Aslo had a full dose of 2 different kinds of chemo for my very aggressive type of cancer - my diagnosis was nothing to fool around with.

Happy to be alive!

@HerRoyaLioness @You are correct. It's not my term. It is a term that is unrelated to the term chemotherapy. I'm sure the term will lead to misunderstandings. I'm not a fan of the term.

"Chemoprevention is the use of a medication, vitamin or supplement to stop cancer from happening. This is most often used for people who have a high risk of developing cancer. They may have a strong family history, carry an abnormal gene, or have a personal health history that makes their risk higher.Mar 6, 2020"

Quoted from : What is Chemoprevention? | OncoLink
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have been taking preventative breast cancer supplements for well over 25 years every day. I worked in the natural food and supplement industy for many many years.  I take daily among many other things....

5000 IU of vitamin D

Indol carbonal 3,

mushrooms...

DIM

Calcium D Glucarate.

flax seed lignan.

My Mother had breast cancer so as a young woman I was always conscious of prevention therapies.

Agree, with this question: I thought DIM was indol 3 carbonal ie not 2 separate things.

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

5000 IU of vitamin D

Indol carbonal 3,

mushrooms...

DIM

Calcium D Glucarate.

flax seed lignan.

Agree, with this question: I thought DIM was indol 3 carbonal ie not 2 separate things.

Two separate things.  My preventive PA has had me on DIM for many, many years, however, he pulled the indol 3 carbonal a few years back.  Supposedly the science wasn't backing up what was previously thought.  I have not had a mammogram in over 20 years, but have thermograms yearly.  They have many breast cancer survivors that come to their clinic for therms.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!