Respected Contributor

Chemo may not be needed by many w/breast cancer

According to a large clinical trial.  Many oncologists are saying this may be a game changer in the treatment of breast cancer.  I sure hope so!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elaineschattner/2018/06/03/many-breast-cancer-patients-can-safely-skip-...

A large study confirms that many patients with early-stage breast cancer don’t need chemotherapy after surgery. The TAILORx trial evaluated a pathology test called OncotypeDx (Genomics Health), which predicts risk of recurrence, and found the test to be reliable.

The TAILORx trial involves over 10,000 women with the most common form of breast cancer. All had hormone receptor (HR) positive (+), Her2 negative disease, with tumors not involving lymph nodes. All had Oncotype testing of their tumors. Now with 8 years of follow-up, the main finding is that for patients with low or intermediate Oncotype results, taking chemotherapy in addition to hormone-blocking endocrine treatment does not affect survival or lower the likelihood of cancer’s recurrence.

As a former practicing oncologist and survivor of early-stage breast cancer, I think the TAILORx findings are among the most important reported since I entered the field. These results have the potential to reduce overtreatment of breast cancer—stopping patients’ unnecessary exposure to chemotherapy—in a large fraction of cases.

Today in Chicago, Dr. Joseph Sparano is presenting the TAILORx findings in a plenary session at the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (of which I am a member). Sparano is a professor at the Albert Einstein School of Medicine in New York. The full paper is now published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

According to the NCI, in 2018 over 260,000 Americans will receive a new diagnosis of invasive breast cancer. Around half of all U.S. breast cancers are hormone sensitive and axillary lymph node negative; the study cites these published NCI data on the prevalence of breast cancer subtypes. “Our study shows that chemotherapy may be avoided in about 70% of these women when its use is guided by the test,” Sparano said in a press statement.

According to Dr. Steven Shak, an oncologist, co-founder and chief medical officer of Genomics Health, only around 1 in 6 Oncotype scores indicate a high risk of recurrence. Approximately two thirds of all Oncotype results fall in intermediate range (11 – 25); the other third splits almost evenly between low-risk (0 – 10) and high-risk (26 - 100) of recurrence. I spoke with Shak by phone about the TAILORx trial and its implications.

The takeaway is that most patients with lymph node-negative, hormone-sensitive, Her2 negative breast cancer don’t benefit from chemo, Shak told me. “I see this as part of the end of an era,” he said. “In the past, the majority of women with breast cancer got chemotherapy, and now it’s only the minority who need chemotherapy.” The public health implications are huge, he continued: “If we give chemotherapy only to early-stage patients at high risk, we can avoid overtreating and exposing many women to chemotherapy who don’t need it.”

I haven't posted the entire article since it is relatively long.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Super Contributor

Re: Chemo may not be needed by many w/breast cancer

Thank goodness!  This is definitely a game changer.

Super Contributor

Yes, I heard about that at a nursing conference 2 years ago.....

Honored Contributor

My Plant Based doctors have been saying this for years/decades.

No radiation

No chemotherapy

No estrogen lowering drugs

Remove the affected area & change diet.

Prevention: low fat whole foods plant based diet

Honored Contributor

Like many women my age, I know quite a few breast cancer patients.  All were found while the growths were small and contained.  Just in my book club we have had 4; while I can't tell you exactly why any of their treatments were chosen, none had to undergo chemo and each of those women were diagnosed at least 4 years ago. 

When I think what a breast cancer diagnosis foretold years ago when I was young, I applaud the doctors and researchers who strive every day to simplify and improve the treatment

Contributor

I am very proud to say I was a participant in this study through UNC Chapel Hill NC under the direction of Dr Lisa Carey. My recurrence score was 14 and I was randomized to take Tamoxifen. Completed the 5 years of the Tamoxifen and so far no problems.  This is major news for women with breast cancer. 

Respected Contributor

@IslanderGirl62 wrote:

Yes, I heard about that at a nursing conference 2 years ago.....

Hi @IslanderGirl62!  The data they probably presented a couple of years ago may have related to do with breast cancer patients that had an Oncotype recurrence score of under 10.  They have known for a while that for those with a score under 10 had positive outcomes without chemo when compared to those that did take chemo.

This study also looked at women that had mid-range Oncotype scores (11-25).  They radomized these women into 2 groups.  One group received both chemo & endocrine therapy (standard protocol) & the other group received just the endocrine therapy.  

Overall survival was basically equal between the 2 groups, there was no statistical difference between the groups in probability of survival without metastases.  

Of course the clinical trial has been going for some time, but now that they have completed the stasticial analysis on their very large sample, the results are encouraging!

Respected Contributor

@OR Director wrote:

I am very proud to say I was a participant in this study through UNC Chapel Hill NC under the direction of Dr Lisa Carey. My recurrence score was 14 and I was randomized to take Tamoxifen. Completed the 5 years of the Tamoxifen and so far no problems.  This is major news for women with breast cancer. 

@OR Director, Wow!  Congratulations and how wonderful you were a part of this study.  And how thrilling that at 5 years you are doing great!  Wonderful news!   

Honored Contributor

I was diagnosed with early stage BC at age 34 (1983)and because I did not have any positive lymph nodes I was allowed to choose if I wanted chemo or just radiation. I was afraid and so decided to go for the chemo & radiation. Well, here I am 35 years later, so I'll always feel I made the right choice. I have a + Brac 2 gene and except for my Mom who died fairly young in a car accident, every woman in my Mom's family has died from breast or ovarian cancer.

Respected Contributor

Wish they had done this study 20 years ago. I had both chemo and radiation. Stage 1, no nodes involved, her2+.  This is wonderful for all those women that will be diagnosed this year. I alway donate to Breast Cancer fundraisers. They do wonderful work.