Respected Contributor

Re: Chemo may not be needed by many w/breast cancer

@pitdakota Thanks. Unfortunately, when one has Breast Cancer, like soo many other cancers, you are never out of the woods. They found something last year and are testing me and watching me closely to see if it's related to my Breast Cancer. I have also had 2 Pancreatic surgeries to remove tumors.  I thank God every day. Again, wishing you and everyone, health and happiness! We never know what's around the corner! Look at every day as a gift. I do. Stay well and thank you again. You have a beautiful soul from where I'm standing!😘

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luvdoodles wrote:

Wish they had done this study 20 years ago. I had both chemo and radiation. Stage 1, no nodes involved, her2+.  This is wonderful for all those women that will be diagnosed this year. I alway donate to Breast Cancer fundraisers. They do wonderful work. 

@luvdoodles

According to this statement from the BreastCancer.org website, you would not have qualified because of your her2 positive status. So happy to hear that you're doing well!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

Thanks, @pitdakota.

I haven't shared my situation here before now. Your post encouraged me to post about it.  I don't think a lot of people realize how much cancer research has changed the landscape of breast cancer treatment.

@Ms tyrion2, I can only imagine how it is to share those details on a board such as this.  You are so right though, the treatment of breast cancer has come a long way due to research!  I remember when I first started in nursing, women signed an OR permit for a breast biopsy and possible mastectomy.  There was no option in this area.  A surgeon would not just do a breast biopsy.  No talking about options, plan of treatment, or much of anything.

The net result was women went to sleep not knowing if they would wake up with their breast removed & hear they have cancer. 

Thank goodness for the advances in research that have led to protocols such as you are on to give you a longer life and one with a good quality of life!  Heart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@Coquille wrote:

@pitdakota Thanks. Unfortunately, when one has Breast Cancer, like soo many other cancers, you are never out of the woods. They found something last year and are testing me and watching me closely to see if it's related to my Breast Cancer. I have also had 2 Pancreatic surgeries to remove tumors.  I thank God every day. Again, wishing you and everyone, health and happiness! We never know what's around the corner! Look at every day as a gift. I do. Stay well and thank you again. You have a beautiful soul from where I'm standing!😘

@Coquille, boy...you have been through the wringer!  And you make such a valid point, after a diagnosis of cancer....there are always concerns.  And I am sure there are many times of anxiety and uncertainy along the journey.

Thank you for your kind words, but I haven't done anything special.  Women such as yourself that have fought the battle and share your experience are an inspiration without a doubt!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

My mother had breast cancer and a mastectomy in 1994 and never had chemo or radiation.  The surgeon felt he got everything during the surgery.  She was on tamoxafin for 5 years though and had routine mammos to make sure it didn't return.