Respected Contributor

Just saw an article saying those who have used chemical hair straightener are at a much greater risk of uterine cancer...which is called a relatively rare cancer...I have never used these, but I know many women have. They still are on the market and are used mostly in salons, but some are for home use as well. Sorry I don't have the article to post, but it may be worth your while to google it if you are interested. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chemical hair straighteners

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Just saw an article saying those who have used chemical hair straightener are at a much greater risk of uterine cancer...which is called a relatively rare cancer...I have never used these, but I know many women have. They still are on the market and are used mostly in salons, but some are for home use as well. Sorry I don't have the article to post, but it may be worth your while to google it if you are interested. 

What a coinsident, before this article came out yesterday, I had watched a documentary on freevee with Chris Rock, titled, Good HAIR.  It was not a comedy, but so informative about what women of color go through from a very young age to relax their hair.  It burns their scalp and they lose hair, but it relaxes the hair to get smooth flowing hair and weaves.

It was such an eye opener and so informative.  Some mother started their girls at age 3, which was not a good thing. 

Then this article came out yesterday.  What I watched was recorded years ago.  Very informative documentary.  Good Hair on freevee.  The app is FV

Esteemed Contributor

When I saw the piece about the risks of hair straightening I immediately thought about the potential risk of permanents, if used over many years.  Although these chemicals aren't as strong as the lye used in straightening, they are strong and damaging.

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

When I saw the piece about the risks of hair straightening I immediately thought about the potential risk of permanents, if used over many years.  Although these chemicals aren't as strong as the lye used in straightening, they are strong and damaging.

@patbz   Oh, I remember when I was young my mother would give me a Tonette perm.  And she would do my grandmother's hair with either Toni brand or Lilt.  Reminiscing now......

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

I've been using relaxer for over 50 years.  Not about to change unless something happens to me physically.  

There have been articles like this before....every five or six years or so.  I'll just add this to my list of cancer causes.  Let's see....I'm 75 now.  Started at around 19 or 20 after my first child.  My mother died of cervical cancer at 80 but seldom had her hair relaxed.  

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

When I heard about this, I was curious about what chemicals In the perms/relaxers caused the problem. There are a lot of products out there. Just go to a beauty supply store! I do recall this story coming out a while ago and it's back again. I need more information.  Stay tuned!

Honored Contributor

They came out years ago about the hair straighteners being cancer causing for the beauticians using the chemicals and being around the chemicals all day..... all that stuff including hair color is BAD.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden, that's right I'd forgotten about hair coloring.  I gave in to my gray last year, lol.  Let Mother Nature have at me, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

If it's not one thing it's another thing which could cause cancer. Never ends. Take it with a grain of salt.

Trusted Contributor

My hairdresser gives me a stain every few months.  It's free of harsh chemicals.  It doesn't last as long as a color treatment, but it covers my grays and lasts about 10 weeks.   It's about $70 for my shoulder length hair.