Honored Contributor

Re: Changing to a different doctor within the same practice

@Carmie   That's great....and thanks for the information.  I've been scheduling for a consultation and wondered about the answer to this question.  Good luck with your bone-on-bone, sounds so painful.  Let us know if you schedule surgery so we can send you our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Respected Contributor

@gellen   There should be no problem or awkwardness, simply because I know when I have an urgent need to see the doctor and my primary is booked solid, they give me one of the other ones without a second thought.  Plus it makes it easier since all your files and previous medical history is at the same office.  It's all good.  👩‍⚕

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Valued Contributor

When my gynecologist changed her hours I requested a new doctor within the practice (she was working another location over an hour away on my day off).

They told me no and that I had to go to the other location.   I explained that it was impossible and I switched practices altogether.   

It ended up being a positive thing, but I wasn't happy at the time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Carmie   That's great....and thanks for the information.  I've been scheduling for a consultation and wondered about the answer to this question.  Good luck with your bone-on-bone, sounds so painful.  Let us know if you schedule surgery so we can send you our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thank you.  I am scheduled for December 13.  All I have to do now is clear my pre op tests.  Today was my last physical therapy visit until after surgery.

I hope this surgery is a good idea.  I know I can not do anything.  I am tired of sitting with ice packs all day.

Honored Contributor

Yes, indeed. You can do that. I did it and so did my sister. We had a pcp who had zero bedside manner and was a lazy doctor. It was fine. Doctors have so many patients they don't notice when one has transferred to someone else.

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen 

Get the doctor you prefer. I doubt the one with the bedside manner you do not like, is going to ask you. Me, if he did? Tell him just what was said here. No beating around the cherry tree.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I changed to a physician's assistant in the same office as it was too difficult to get an appointment with the physician that I originally saw within the same practice.  

It might depend on whether your new choice is accepting new patients. 

Respected Contributor

most clinics want you to stay for whatever reason, change away.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

My brother is 4 weeks post op from knee replacement.  He has done amazingly well; his flex measurement was 123 today.  He is going back to work next week, driving a dump truck.

There have been several big changes since my surgeries 5 and 10 years ago, which have greatly benefitted him.  His surgery was robotically assisted, so he did not have as much bleeding.  Instead of Coumadin, he took a regular strength aspirin twice a day, and never had to do blood draws to check his INR.  4 days after his surgery he walked over here and came up my front steps with his walker.  He used the walker for a week.  The cane for a week, and now he just goes! 

I wish you the best possible outcome with your procedure!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried that once, and the practice wouldn't allow it.  The one doctor I saw dismissed me and my issue which later turned out to be a fracture.  So I asked to see his partner and was told "no."