Super Contributor

Changing to a different doctor within the same practice

I would like to change my doctor whose bedside manner leaves something to be desired. Do most medical offices agree to do this upon request. I do realize that as the patient you have an important day in the matter but I am
Hoping there won’t be any unpleasantness
Honored Contributor

Re: Changing to a different doctor within the same practice

I'm sure patients come and go all the time and nobody thinks anything about it.  The problem might be finding a new one as so many doctors aren't taking new patients.  There's a shortage of good doctors just about everywhere.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you want to change, I would go right ahead with the change. I would simply schedule an appointment with the new doctor and make the change. I think their offices are so busy it will most likely happen without anyone calling attention. If they ask, tell them you believe the new doctor will be a better fit. 

A couple of weeks ago I made a similar move. This one was within the corporate system and not the same office, but my old doctor's staff may see the change. That's OK. It is my health and my concern.

Esteemed Contributor

I did it because my old doctor seemed to have a bit of an attitude that just irked me. Never could put a finger on why I didn't like her but I just didn't  so I switched to another doctors that is much better.

Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:
I would like to change my doctor whose bedside manner leaves something to be desired. Do most medical offices agree to do this upon request. I do realize that as the patient you have an important day in the matter but I am
Hoping there won’t be any unpleasantness

I had a cardiologist who was outright rude, condescending and actually yelled at me because I was having difficulty controlling my hypertension. I continued to see him until one day, I had enough. I called the office manager and  head of cardiology, explained the situation and he found me a wonderful, new physician in the same practice. The rude doctor is not there on Thursday's so I make my appointment for that day. I think it avoids conflict and I never want any encounter ever again with him. 

It has been four years since I switched and happy to report since my new doctor is so nice, my blood pressure is always low. 

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

When I make my next Doctor's appointment the receptionist always asks which Doctor I want to make the new appointment with. If I wanted to change I would just say the new Doctor's name. 

And @Kachina624 is so right about Doctor's being busy. My husband had a procedure done in October. The Doctor's office called and said they wanted a follow up visit. So my husband called the Doctor for a follow up appointment. The first available appointment is April, 2023.

Honored Contributor

I changed doctors in the ortho practice I visit two times.  I am now seeing doctor #3.

Number 1 was just okay.

Number  2 was not a good match for me, and I told him so. I only saw him once.

Number 3 is just right.  I scheduled surgery with him in a few weeks.

The receptionist didn't bat an eye when I  asked for an appointment with a different doctor in the practice.

Esteemed Contributor

I changed doctors....when I called to make an appointment, I asked for the new doctor. She asked why and I said "I just don't like him"....she said that she understood totally. She got it! So go ahead and change.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Carmie   Glad you found a doctor that you liked.  I'm curious if insurance will pay for changing doctors when you are visiting regarding the same symptoms/illness.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd   There is no problem with insurance.  I am going because my right knee is bone on bone.  It has been so bad for a long time.  I have been getting different injections that no longer work.

I was shopping for a doctor that I trusted to do surgery. I have Medicare.  I can see any doctor I wish even if I see more than one for the same diagnosis.