Honored Contributor

Changes From Virus Already Happening.

I recently had 3 tests done.  I was supposed to go to my Cardiologist to discuss the results today.

I called yesterday and asked if I could hear the results over the phone so I didn't have to come in (riding the elevator to the 4th floor alone scares me).

A few minutes ago the Dr called and told me the results of each test.  There were a few things, nothing big right now, just need to be watched.

My point of this is to say that the nurse did say that the Drs are in the process of setting up virtual contact with us.

I told her I'm all for that.  I told her to 'sign me up'.  I know there are some things that must be in person, but for someone like myself, just getting 6 month checks works unless there's a problem.

This is the way it is with all of my Drs.  I go there, talk to them, tell them how I am and I leave.

It would save a lot of money and free up the Drs for people with more serious complications.

People who can't afford to buy some of the things needed for virtual doctoring should be able to rent or 'borrow' them from places.

There could even be a 'fund' where people who can afford to give money could help pay for those who can't afford it.  It could be managed by a company that only does that (like the way big companies send out bills and manage payments for lots of Drs).

It's a waste of time and money for someone like myself to go to a Dr other than every 6 months or once a year.

I do go to the cardiologist every 6 months, the thyroid Dr every 6 months, the arthritis Dr every 6 months, that would save money if more people did that.

All of us know our body pretty well.  We know how we feel. 

My daughter works in the Tech industry.  She always works from home.  She has huge conference calls (face to face) all over the country, just as if she was sitting at a table with them.  

The use of computers by teleconferences is the way to go in the future.  I've always thought it was going to happen but I think this virus has made it possible to speed things up.

That's a good thing in my mind.

Honored Contributor

Re: Changes From Virus Already Happening.

My doctors office have had a portal, since I have been a patient, for me it is the easiest way to communicate and get all my test results.

The practice I go to is on the forefront of modern medicine

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I have an appointment with my PCP today....by telephone.  I'm interested in knowing how we're going  to do my quarterly blood test.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

My employer has been offering virtual visits for 2 years, maybe 3.....they've been doing telehealth consultations for rural areas muchlonger than that. 

I agree, definitely the wave of the future. All conditions can't be handled that way, but there are many that can. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

I've never used a telehealth option.  Can a doctor prescribe pharmaceuticals after a telehealth consultation?

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I've never used a telehealth option.  Can a doctor prescribe pharmaceuticals after a telehealth consultation?

Very good question.  I think if the person really has no serious or immediate or chronic health problems then a virtual visit is okay but prescribing?  I think in person is better.

Valued Contributor

My mother wears a pacemaker and has for almost 8 yrs. Just in the last year or two has she been able to have them remotely check the progress and how she has been in the preceeding few months. It has been a great help for her and my brother who has set this up.

It is great that you can do some "visits" remotely but in other instances it is necessary to see the doctor personally.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did therapy online last week. It was great.  It's great to be able to still connect with therapists especially during this time.  I am figuring out Ways to connect with all of my students as I am now switching into the mindset of distance learning.I'm history teacher and nothing substitutes for face-to-face interaction, but it's my duty and responsibility to be flexible and provide my students with the best instruction possible.  I do miss interacting in person.  

I don't type well on my iPad so if there are mistakes please forgive me!

Respected Contributor

My cardiologist's office just called to cancel my April 2 appointment, and they're not rescheduling. They will continue to answer phones, but that's it. No tests. This is a large, hospital-affiliated cardiac clinic.

In other words, they're ending non-emergency treatment to an at-risk population.

That's what I call a change in policy.

The first of those predicted hard ethical decisions to affect me personally.

So very sad. I didn't think this would happen so soon.

Honored Contributor

@77yangya wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Very good question.  I think if the person really has no serious or immediate or chronic health problems then a virtual visit is okay but prescribing?  I think in person is better.

In some states, yes they can prescribe.  Obviously not controlled substances but antibiotics, yes.