Super Contributor

Cervical Spine Surgery done!

[ Edited ]

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you that sent kind messages and encouragement for my cervical spine surgery, C5-C6 ACDF yesterday.  I'm doing great!!!  At the hospital at 7:30 am for prep, entered the OR at 10 am and was released from the hospital at 3:10 pm!  I was prepared to spend the night and the care team figured I would too, since I had indicated that I historically come out of anesthesia very slowly.  I did so well they had no reason to keep me!  What a treat to get to come home the same day!  The care team was fantastic too.  I was worried since so many health care workers are burned out from the pandemic.  Not this crew, every single person was wonderful.

My original pains and numbness caused by the impinged spinal cord and bone spurs are gone!!  I am sore, but that only really kicks in when I get up out of bed.  All other motion is fine.  Granted I'm not making drastic tilts and turns, no need at this point.  Swallowing feels restricted, but that's expected.  I am taking the Flexeril (muscle relaxant) and Oxycodone as needed for pain, it's best to stay ahead it.  Soon I will transition to just Tylenol as needed.  No rush, it's time for rest and healing for me Cat Happy

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cervical Spine Surgery done!

It's really nice to start off Friday with some good news! Hoping for you that the rest of your recovery continues to move along so quickly. 

Honored Contributor

@Catlady Nicole   Great news!  You'll be making those tilts and turns in no time!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shaggygirl   I so agree (....everyday you think it can't get worse).  It is one of the reasons to visit this board, read some happiness and contribute some joy and kindness.  Heart

@shaggygirl wrote:

It's really nice to start off Friday with some good news! Hoping for you that the rest of your recovery continues to move along so quickly. 

Honored Contributor

@Catlady Nicole Yay that's great news! Wishing you continued success in an "uneventful recovery"! That's what docs like to say when you have no prolems and I wish that for you! Thanks for the update and glad you are sounding so upbeat!!

Trusted Contributor

@Catlady Nicole  Glad your surgery went well. It sounds like you'll be dancing in no time at all. LOL❤️

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Catlady Nicole Congratulations, you must feel so relieved to have the surgery completed. It sounds like you aced it. I hope you have an uneventful recovery, with a perfect outcome.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Catlady Nicole, ok energizer bunny. Way to go. Isn't it something? I was thinking you would be going home today.

Are you wearing a neck brace? If so, what kind?

Just relax and take it easy. I love, love Flexeril. My neurosurgeon always said not to wait until the pain is unbearable. ****** it in the bud.

Once again, thanks for the good news and I know you are happy that you did it.

Super Contributor

Hi @Sage04 it sure is something!  Modern medicine is amazing and what our bodies are capable of is amazing too.  Thankful for both! 

No brace for me.  I asked about it pre-op and the surgeon said since he wans't removing any support from inside, but actually adding support (the bone graft and fused discs) he didn't require a brace.  The only post op limitations I have is no lifting more than 10 pounds. 

My discharge nurse said the same thing you did, stay ahead of the pain and it's easier to manage.  That's exactly what I'm doing and it's working perfectly so far.  Neck is pretty swollen today so I did ice it for a bit, but time is the best medicine for that too.  

I'm so shocked and pleased that my pre-op pain/concerns are gone.  I really didn't think it would be gone so fast.  I hope is stays this way.  As long as I follow orders I'll know I've done my best for recovery.

Thank you all for the kind words and I'm glad to share some good news, we can all use some.

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

@Catlady Nicole So glad you are following directions to stay ahead of the pain! You just sound so good, I'm really glad for you!