Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cervical Spine Surgery Tomorrow

@SXMGirl wrote:

Please send some good thoughts my way as I am not thrilled about getting this surgery.  My surgeon is excellent, but this is not how I thought that I would spend the next two months.  I also have another meniscus tear, so that is now on the back burner.  It is always something as we get older.

--------------------------------------------------------

So you have decided to do it. You will feel a lot better when it's all over. Do you have a recliner? It works wonders. I''ve done it twice C3-C4 and C6-C7.

Screws and titanium plates. They also look look on an Ex-ray.

All the best to you and just think about the weeks ahead and imagine how you will feel.

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl  Sending best wishes for successful,uneventful surgery. Hoping you have rapid and perfect healing and enjoy strength and independence in your life very soon. Stay focused on recovery and imagine yourself well and strong, day by day. Positive thinking works!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your positive thoughts and prayers.

@Catlady Nicole Mine apparently is C3-C7 and a metal plate will be inserted into the spine.  I do not know if I will need a bone stimulator, but my surgeon did send me info.  This is supposed to be a miracle surgery for me as it should eliminate my shoulder pain, arm numbing, vertigo, and possibly my knee problems.

I do hope that your surgery goes well.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

I am sending you good thoughts for tomorrow and prayers for a complete recovery.  Just think about how much better you will feel when it is over and you are all healed.  The unknown always seems to make things more stressful.

Respected Contributor

Praying for you , hugs!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Catlady Nicole wrote:

Hi @SXMGirl, sending good thoughts for your procedure tomorrow.  If you would like to share, what exactly are you having done? 

I am also having cervical spine surgery, next Thursday.  C5-C6 ACDF specifically.  I am not excited about it either, but my spinal cord is being impinged so it's got to be done.  

Please let us know how you do as soon as you are feeling well enough.

@Catlady Nicoleit was really worth it for me. Big relief. One thing that surprised me was when he said I would be going home the following day. The look I gave him he knew I was surprised so he was able to put me at ease.

Two different Neurosurgeons did my two surguries. One in Fl and one in Georgia. One was left handed and the other right handed. I didn''t realize you could tell the difference but a few people in the medical were able to because of the incisions.

Just relax and take all the time you need to heal.

Respected Contributor

Best wishes for your sx to go well and that you have full recovery.

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl   Sending Good Thoughts and Prayers to you!   I had C spine laminectomy and fusion. C-3-C6 with screws. 20 months post-op.   Don't let the hospital boot you out too soon. Prior to surgery i was given a phone number to call an office sponsored by Medicare to appeal discharge if patient is not ready. But i was pretty out of it post-op. So i could not call. My bedside phone did not work either. And my cellphone was buried in blankets! 

My medicare allowed me a 2 day stay and then the hospital shipped me to a Skilled Nursing facility. I had to ring for a nurse in order to use the bathroom. Sometimes i rang and rang and no one came.  When I tried to go on my own i got yelled at. the food was inedible.   i only stayed there 3 nights and signed myself out!  They said i could not leave without medical approval. Not so - i just had to sign a paper taking responsibility for my own health.    I got home on Dec 22nd!  No way was i staying in there for Christmas!  Home is the best place to relax and heal! 

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline  Thanks for the good thoughts.  I don't think that my surgery is as involved as yours.  I was told that the surgery was about 45 minutes and that I would be in the hospital for 23 hours.  The surgery is on the first floor, right behind the info desk.  I was concerned about covid since quite a few hospital employees have been refusing the vaccine, but I think it will only be my surgeon and his PA.  I was also concerned about being in a room with someone who had not been vaccinated, but I was told that I would not be with anyone and just to bring something to read if I got bored.  I guess that I will find out tomorrow.  I really hope that I can come home tomorrow.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl Good Luck with your surgery tomorrow. Take care of yourself, listen to your doctor and don't overdo.🙏❤️