Valued Contributor

Re: Cervical Epidural Steroid Injections

My father would have these epidural injections for spianl stenosis. He suffered a stroke in Sept 2011. I know that he would say that these would help him when he was in pain.  I do not remember him saying they hurt but he had to decrease the amount of blood thinner he was on in days prior to each treatment. These are not a permanent treatment but something that helps for a time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  Thanks and good to know.  I am on three different meds right now and for once, I am not self medicating.  I only take the meds at night and am hoping to wean myself off of them over the next week.  I have really good insurance but I am hoping that one of these might just be enough, even though my chiro told me that it does not look good.  I have known him for 20 years and he is a straight shooter but in this instance, I am hoping that he is wrong.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl  my dd just had these done on her c5 and c7.

Shecwas treated by a neuroradiologist who only does the cervical injections.  The initial injections did not help .he recommended that she have an ablation on each side. This was a more complicated procedure  but she has experienced some relief. 
She was sedated for each procedure

I would suggest making sure your dr has a lot of experience. In doing this procedure.

Best of luck 
good luck

Honored Contributor

I had two.  They helped but didn't last long.  One hurt and the other didn't. I have degenerative disc disease ... personally I would rather have the surgery where they inject a substance that fills up the space.  I have bone on bone.  Now I suffer from awful back issues and now I'm told I'm too old. So sick of that reasoning.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

2 1/2 yrs. ago I had three injections at level C5/C6 within a few months. Other than the temporary relief I experienced from the numbing medication for a few hours, the injections did nothing for me.  I ended up having ACDF surgery.  Why are you refusing surgery?  Unaddressed, your situation could get worse.    

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch  I am terrified of surgery that could render me paralyzed.   Right now, meds once a day are taking care of business, but I have no idea how long that I can be on the meds.

@rms1954 No one mentioned injections that could fill in the spaces,  Sounds like the gel shots for my knee, which have worked beautifully.

Frequent Contributor

Find a physical therapist that does DRY NEEDLING. I had all these shots, surgery and therapy. My PT asked to try this and it did wonders. It's like acupuncture then hooked to a machine like a tens unit. Really doesn't hurt at all. Did wonders for me. 

Frequent Contributor

Find a physical therapist that does DRY NEEDLING. I had all these shots, surgery and therapy. My PT asked to try this and it did wonders. It's like acupuncture then hooked to a machine like a tens unit. Really doesn't hurt at all. Did wonders for me

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl 

I have had 3 cracked(compression) cervical vertebrae for decades now. Wore a collar or brace on and off for a couple years. From there Chiropractic Adjustments has kept pain at bay.

Had back surgery in the mid 1970's to remove ruptured L-5/S-1 discs. In the early 2000's I had the several Caudal Blocks for my L-3 pain issue. With each one they lasted less time.

I decided to go the surgical route again and had it removed. With lots of work I have maintain pretty much all my spinal flexibilty and very few flare ups worth mentioning. If my neck once again becomes an issue, if surgery is the best option, I will go the same route.

A good friend of mine is a Spinal Surgeon and that is all he does. He did my last surgery, and if necessary would do my next. My choice of surgery was by far my best choice. I was/am able to fully physically function as in many past decades. 

I have never been one for any kind of pain meds and have been able avoid them through many bad injuries and surgeries, especially since my Colon Bleeds starting in 2008. Now it's strictly Tylenol.

Just got out of the hospital yesterday after a 2 day stay. Took a fall ice skating and broke a left rib and punctured my left lung. From all the painful injuries I have had, broken ribs are close, or at the top, of all I have had over the decades.

Hope you find the best option for yourself to help with this painful cervical issue.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  Thanks for your reply.  I am no longer taking pain meds, just Meloxicam and a nerve med.  Depending on how long I can be on them, and I know that Meloxicam is not a long-term drug or fix, I am more comfortable taking them than surgery.  While I did not care for the doctor who does the injections, thanks to the nerve doctor, I now know that it is another doctor who is the spine surgeon.  You would think someone would have told me that earlier.  My chiro is hesitant to do more than four weeks with me, at least at this time.  I am requesting that he gets the nerve testing results to see if we can go forward.  

I hope that you are healing well and are not in any pain.  You are my inspiration and I was looking to hear from you about my situation.

Thanks again for your response.