Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cervical Epidural Steroid Injections

@gillsburg  I just read your post and I have never heard of dry needling.  I have had acupuncture, but I never could relax because I was always afraid that I would be forgotten in that dark room.  I will definitely ask my chiro about this since his office now does just about everything.  Thanks for this info.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl    Have you been seen by a Neurosurgeon?  why is surgery not an option? i'm not one to go to Chiropractors and PT can help only to a point.  Have you been prescibed muscle relaxers?  Not pushing drugs but Methocarbamol is a relaxer and is not habituating and will not make you drowsy. (flexeril is the worst)

i have had C3-C6 laminectomy and fusion. i' m 15 months post-op.   The same Neurosurgeon performed my neck this surgery as my first Lumbar surgery. (2009).

i have spinal stenosis and bone was growing on the vertbrae the bone was impinging on the nerve and without surgery there was a risk that a fall or even a fender-bender would be catastrophic (paralyzed).

Just like your issue with vibrations in your arm, i had the vibrations and they moved up and down my arm, shoulder, my neck and into the rib cage.

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline  I do not want surgery, but I will be taking a look at local neurosurgeons so that I can keep my options open.  I am not on a muscle relaxer but will check with my doctor abou that.  I have not had any arm vibrations since I took prednisone, but that was when the severe pain started.  As far as a chiro, I have known mine for 20 years and he is excellent and will not do anything to cause any damage.  Since I trust him, I will rely on him to help me make any decisions.  He has already told me about a neurosurgeon who he recommends, so that will probably be an appointment that I will make fairly soon.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@CatsyCline  I do not want surgery, but I will be taking a look at local neurosurgeons so that I can keep my options open.  I am not on a muscle relaxer but will check with my doctor abou that.  I have not had any arm vibrations since I took prednisone, but that was when the severe pain started.  As far as a chiro, I have known mine for 20 years and he is excellent and will not do anything to cause any damage.  Since I trust him, I will rely on him to help me make any decisions.  He has already told me about a neurosurgeon who he recommends, so that will probably be an appointment that I will make fairly soon.

@SXMGirl   i completely understand, it is a blessing to have a doctor you can trust. take good care and i hope all goes well. sometimes ice packs are good for pain but i found the muscle relaxer and a bean bag heating pad you can heat in microwave can be soothing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skatting44 wrote:

I would definitely  consult an ortho surgeon or neurosurgeon with  excellent credentials . I would not have the procedure unless it was being done under fluroscopy .

@SXMGirl  I agree with what @skatting44  says.  I opted for surgery because that was what was best for me and it was done by a Neurosurgeon. I had two surgeries (Fusion) at different times.

C3-C4 was  in 2003 and when it was over I was the happiest person on earth. Every now and then I have  pain but nothing much.  I cause some of those pain sometimes, because I do dumb things I shouldn't do. I forget lol.

C6-C7 two years later and I must say it worked for me also. Just last year I started having nerve pain and was given medication, but only had to take it twice.

I'm surprise that a Chiro would take you on. Have you done an MRI? 

Whatever you decide I do hope it works for you. I know your pain.

I just reread your Post and saw that you have had an MRI done.

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@SXMGirl    Have you been seen by a Neurosurgeon?  why is surgery not an option? i'm not one to go to Chiropractors and PT can help only to a point.  Have you been prescibed muscle relaxers?  Not pushing drugs but Methocarbamol is a relaxer and is not habituating and will not make you drowsy. (flexeril is the worst)

i have had C3-C6 laminectomy and fusion. i' m 15 months post-op.   The same Neurosurgeon performed my neck this surgery as my first Lumbar surgery. (2009).

i have spinal stenosis and bone was growing on the vertbrae the bone was impinging on the nerve and without surgery there was a risk that a fall or even a fender-bender would be catastrophic (paralyzed).

Just like your issue with vibrations in your arm, i had the vibrations and they moved up and down my arm, shoulder, my neck and into the rib cage.

@CatsyCline  you are describing what I went through. I have a high tolerance for pain, but i CRIED everyday. Couldn't sit or even stand.

For me Flexeril works, but most of the time I don't need it now. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@SXMGirl  happy to hear that your Chiro is willing to refer you to a Neurosurgeon. That's great.

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Has anyone had one or more of these and did you have pain or complications?  What I thought to be SIRVA has now been diagnosed with a spinal problem and this is the first step before surgery.  Since I do not plan to have spine surgery ever, this is probably my only option.  I am also seeing my chiro, but he has looked at my xrays and mri and tells me that these are really my only options.  

I would get relief from them, but it would be temporary, only lasting a few weeks.

What helped me for a longer length of time were radio frequency ablations in the cervical area. 

I did not have any complications from the cervical epidurals, though. Just some soreness in the injection area that went away after a day or so.

Your doctor should explain everything to you so that you understand possible side-effects, etc. 

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl I've had them many times and have had nerves "burned".  No pain, easy peasy.  Felt great afterwards,  My pain like many is not surgically correctable.  So my ortho doctor does those when my nerve acts up or the pain gets too much.  I do use pain patches (prescription strength) when needed as well.  The abulation (nerve burning)was just a "weird" feeling lol.  It didn't hurt.   For the shots they numb up the spot and it's one and done.  I usually dance my way out since it feels so good afterwards.  As has been noted I am limited by my insurance to 3 a year which is why I use the pain patches.  

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Has anyone had one or more of these and did you have pain or complications?  What I thought to be SIRVA has now been diagnosed with a spinal problem and this is the first step before surgery.  Since I do not plan to have spine surgery ever, this is probably my only option.  I am also seeing my chiro, but he has looked at my xrays and mri and tells me that these are really my only options.  

@SXMGirl 

I've had several ... roughy about 6 months apart and they had a long term effect.  Not forever, but many months.

I would recommend them.

The first one I had without anesthetic and had a weird reaction and the procedure was stopped, and rescheduled for another date.   They used propofol (sp?) the next time and it went very well.   A friend had to drive me home.

Trying to remember the name of the weird reaction ... hmm.