Esteemed Contributor

Re: Certain antibiotics may cause aortic aneurysm, FDA warns

If you're nay-saying Cipro based on the first of two statements made, then think again.  That first statement was ambiguous at best. 

The second one is a no-brainer: if you've been dx'd with an aortic aneurysm, etc., then your healthcare provider should not rx this for you.

Levaquin is another animal altogether.  I was still involved in clinical research when Levaquin went into Phase III Trials.  Several hundred patients within our hospital community were signed up to participate in the trial.  I cannot tell you how many adverse effects were reported to our Institutional Review Board.  8 patients required hospitalization.  All of them initially had pneumonia and were administered Levaquin, only to experience life threatening effects from the drug. 

The Chief of the Medical Staff was one of the docs on the protocol to administer Levaquin.  Several of this person's patients were in the "8" mentioned above.  The situation was not improving.  Ethically, I felt the protocol should be shut down, thereby excluding the enrollment of additional patients into the study.  I spoke with my boss, the hospital's COO, asking that this COO speak with the Chief of Medical Staff.  Not only did the COO tell me to shut up, she said, "We've never had this conversation."  Additionally, the following day I was notified that this COO mandated that I attend twice weekly psych counselling from a staff psychologist or my employment would be terminated on the spot!

I did this because I knew that patient lives were at risk.  Period.

Due to the COO's game, I make a call to the regional office of the FDA.  I can only tell you that after all was said and done, the physician in question was shut down.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative  WOW😮  Good for you standing up to that person!👏🏻

Respected Contributor

Just took a boatload of both Cirpo and Levaquin for diverticulitis. I had to be hospitalized after ten days of Cipro and Flagyl pills did not help me. Got Levaquin by IV for 72 hours then went home with a week more of the pills. I guess at this point I'm just the walking dead. Sad. Woman Frustrated