Honored Contributor

Re: Celebrity Millennium Cruise Covid +

@cactusgal wrote:

Add to this list Covid, Flesh eating fungus and Cicadas. Woman Very Happy

1a9a1cb93bf9a0a89c287bae11e3e7c9.jpg

People who have $50,000 to $100,000 damage from hail, or more if you farm, can attest to it is something to avoid. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The two persons on the cruise were sharing a stateroom. I wish I could learn more about their cases. They are reported to be asymptomatic. What are the odds of two breakthrough cases, in let's say, a husband and wife, fully vaccinated with Pfizer? For each single case, the odds would be that he or she would have a 10% chance. The odds would remain the same for single cases, one in ten. What I'd like to know is how many cases of multiple persons in family groups have had breakthroughs occurring in the U.S. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

Two passengers had to leave the cruise after testing +.  This is after being fully vacinated and presenting neg. tests before boarding.

This Delta variant could be tricky.  Then after you recover from Delta some get the flesh eating fungus.

These cruises may have more trouble than predicted.

"A new study from Public Health England showed two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine were 88% effective against symptomatic disease from the Delta variant, and even more successful at preventing hospitalization and death. The study, however, found one dose of the Pfizer vaccine was only 33% protective."

by Gabriela Miranda in USA TODAY, "What is the new coronavirus Delta variant, and should Americans be worried?"

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@decaf wrote:

At least those two cruisers were vaccinated as they all should be for the health and welfare of the rest of the passengers.  When cruising resumes in Florida no proof of vaccine will be required even though surveys show most cruise lines and passengers want vaccines to be mandatory.  It  certainly appears some people have a desire to just prolong this agony.

smh that people still give credibility to surveys - they can be scewed in so many sways.

That's a nonsensical statement, likely due to the fact you have nothing specific to back up your personal position. 
The majority of people say they want to feel safe when they travel.  It's just common sense. That's why, when surveyed,most people said they want a vaccination mandate for all cruise ships.  That's according to an article in Forbes, June 2, 2021 concerning this particular survey. You can google it but I won't post it here, it references what some might consider political info. 
However, you'll be welcome to set sail from Florida, to cruise (and maybe get Covid) with everyone else who is against vaccines for reasons that have nothing at all to do with medicine and science.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@hckynut 

Last week during my video wellness checkup, my PCP reminded me to still be very careful.  She has 3 patients under 40 who are hospitalized with Covid-19....all were fully vaccinated.

If we think back on all the changes that time and technology has brought about, it may be that Covid-19 will also be a game changer.  Cruises will have to be rethought out to be viable again.

Just think of some of the changes :  milk in glass bottles delivered to your door; typewriters; mechanics who could fix just about anything with brains and tools; getting a handwritten letter in the mail; career paths that no longer exist, get an extra car key made at the hardware store; etc.

Last week there was a news feed to my iPad that was a scientific report on potential new health issues: a fungus was to be the next crisis.  This is probably where the rumors started and then were transformed.

@jlkz @There are two different fungi.

In India, there's been a rise in a fungus, called Black fungus, mucormycosis, that is occurring in COVID patients that is being ascribed to the use of steroids being used by the public to treat COVID symptoms. The doctors there say that steroids are supposed to be reserved for the most serious cases of COVID to aid breathing but that the public is buying the steroids to treat or prevent getting COVID. Steroids reduce the immune function and make it easier to get this fungus. 

World over, there is a drug resistant fungus called Candida auris that is troubling epidemiologists. This fungus has also occurred in India, among other countries. It has swept through hospitals and is resistant to anti fungal drugs. Infectious disease experts 

were apprehensive about it reaching the US.  There's a good article about this global health threat in Scientific American. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Queen of shop wrote:

The only fugus I read about was a black fungus that seemed to appear in India Covid patients. Now there are cases of the black fungus in UK and Mexico.

I read nothing of being "flesh eating". Not that it maybe doesn't do that, but I have read nothing, so far, that says it does. Early days maybe? And they are still trying to get a grasp of the fungus? I don't know.

There are multiple sources that are reporting this black fungus phenomenon; Al Jazeera, People Magazine and CNN.

From what I can gather, diabetics are getting hit with the black fungus.

Scary stuff.

@Queen of shop @Treatment for the Black fungus can often require removal of an eye. This fungus usually enters through the nasal passages and can make its way to the eye, which is close in proximity to the nasal passages. He said it can spread to the brain. I just listened to a doctor involved  in the treatment of this fungus in India. He said that the use of steroids is thought to be driving its spread in COVID patients. He was speaking to the host of a podcast I was listening to. Diabetics are getting hit with this fungus there. The doctor said that India is one of the world's leaders in cases of diabetes. 

Honored Contributor

"So be my guest, you got nothin' to lose

Won't ya' let me take you on a sea cruise?"

Honored Contributor

I'd definitely stay out of the hot tubs on a cruise if black fungus that eats your eyeball is a newly discovered Covid viral side effect.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Cruise ships are just petrified dishes of filth🤮

Honored Contributor

They might have forged their vaccination cards or tampered with the dates to take the cruise.  Or maybe they were part of the small percentage that gets covid after the vaccination.  It's not surprising and vaccinated people were not at risk.   Still, I have no intentions of taking a cruise for quite some time.