Respected Contributor

Celebrity Millennium Cruise Covid +

Two passengers had to leave the cruise after testing +.  This is after being fully vacinated and presenting neg. tests before boarding.

This Delta variant could be tricky.  Then after you recover from Delta some get the flesh eating fungus.

These cruises may have more trouble than predicted.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Celebrity Millennium Cruise Covid +

The two passengers who tested positive were asymptomatic and, of course, vaccinated.  I haven't heard anything about a flesh eating disorder ( your source please).

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

The two passengers who tested positive were asymptomatic and, of course, vaccinated.  I haven't heard anything about a flesh eating disorder ( your source please).

@patbz 

That is exactly what I heard, "Asymptomatic". Like you, I heard nothing about a flesh eating, whatever!  I too would like to see the source.

In my opinion, to much is being made of: "they were vaccinated and still got the virus". Ahhhhhh, hello!  I saw nothing saying the vaccine gave anyone 100% immunity, does any vaccine of late?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

At least those two cruisers were vaccinated as they all should be for the health and welfare of the rest of the passengers.  When cruising resumes in Florida no proof of vaccine will be required even though surveys show most cruise lines and passengers want vaccines to be mandatory.  It  certainly appears some people have a desire to just prolong this agony.

Trusted Contributor

The only fugus I read about was a black fungus that seemed to appear in India Covid patients. Now there are cases of the black fungus in UK and Mexico.

I read nothing of being "flesh eating". Not that it maybe doesn't do that, but I have read nothing, so far, that says it does. Early days maybe? And they are still trying to get a grasp of the fungus? I don't know.

There are multiple sources that are reporting this black fungus phenomenon; Al Jazeera, People Magazine and CNN.

From what I can gather, diabetics are getting hit with the black fungus.

Scary stuff.

Respected Contributor

@decaf wrote:

At least those two cruisers were vaccinated as they all should be for the health and welfare of the rest of the passengers.  When cruising resumes in Florida no proof of vaccine will be required even though surveys show most cruise lines and passengers want vaccines to be mandatory.  It  certainly appears some people have a desire to just prolong this agony.

@decaf I don't think I will be going on anymore cruises anytime soon.  I would be too afraid of being stranded on the ship for weeks like what happened at the beginning of the pandemic last year.  And to the point of your last sentence, pure and simple, like your name LOL, there are too many  people out there that just think about themselves.  It's all me, me, my, my.  

IMO, even though it may be 🍎🍎🍎 to 🍊🍊🍊, that kind of attitude is everywhere.  Just yesterday, once again as I'm in a busy grocery store waiting in a long line, selfishness rears its ugly head.  A cashier opens up her lane and states, I will take the next in line.....well, the ones at the end of the line paid no attention and rushed to her register.  Of course the cashier didn't say a word....don't want to offend ANY customer..... and even though I went off on a tangent now, my point was some people only care about themselves.  🤷

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

@SloopJohnB  I know exactly what you mean, we used to really like cruising but I doubt  I'll get the desire to go any time soon, if ever.  Just being in such tight quarters with thousands of people, in addition to the ever present "me, me, only me" attitude you bring up, well, it's not appetizing, not at all.  You didn't digress, you made an good point about having to deal with lots of inconsiderate people.  There's no better place to get stuck with tons of them like a cruise ship.  

Honored Contributor

The flesh eating diseases are caused by bacteria. Covid is a viral infection. So far, only 1 case of a covid patient having/getting flesh eating disease has been found and it's in Great Brittain.

Respected Contributor

Two passengers aboard the Celebrity Millenium have tested positive for covid-19.The cruise ship, operated by Royal Caribbean Group, departed from St. Maarten on June 5 for a seven-night Caribbean sail.

"Today two guests sharing a stateroom onboard Celebrity Millennium tested positive for COVID-19 while conducting the required end of cruise testing," the cruise line said in a statement. 

"The individuals are asymptomatic and currently in isolation and being monitored by our medical team."

The cruise line added, "We are conducting contact tracing, expediting testing for all close contacts and closely monitoring the situation."

~People

I wasn't sure where the two covid positive passengers where in isolation but then i found this from someone currently onboard.

2 passengers on my Celebrity cruise tested positive for COVID-19; here’s what I saw.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

..."I asked what will happen to the ill passengers when we reach St. Maarten in two days — we have a sea day tomorrow — and I was told that they will have to disembark, go straight to a hotel and stay there until they return negative test results."..

Respected Contributor

@hckynut 

Last week during my video wellness checkup, my PCP reminded me to still be very careful.  She has 3 patients under 40 who are hospitalized with Covid-19....all were fully vaccinated.

If we think back on all the changes that time and technology has brought about, it may be that Covid-19 will also be a game changer.  Cruises will have to be rethought out to be viable again.

Just think of some of the changes :  milk in glass bottles delivered to your door; typewriters; mechanics who could fix just about anything with brains and tools; getting a handwritten letter in the mail; career paths that no longer exist, get an extra car key made at the hardware store; etc.

Last week there was a news feed to my iPad that was a scientific report on potential new health issues: a fungus was to be the next crisis.  This is probably where the rumors started and then were transformed.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill