Frequent Contributor

Cataract surgery w/ mono vision lens implants- anyone had this?

I'm seriously considering this based upon opthamologist's recommendation. Have worn mono vision contact lens for many years. Anyone else have this?
Honored Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery w/ mono vision lens implants- anyone had this?

I haven't but I was talking with someone who had it just a few days ago. She said it is great. i'd never hear of it.

I also wear mono vision contacts so I was interested. I would love to get mono-vision implants if/when I have cataract surgery.

Respected Contributor

I have cataracts in both eyes and will probably need surgery early next year. The doctor did not discuss options yet. Am I understanding this correctly? - a mono vision lens corrects for one distance, and glasses would still be needed. I have been nearsighted all my life and I think this is how I want my vision corrected. I don't mind having to wear glasses for distance, it is what I am used to.

Esteemed Contributor

I recently had cataract surgery. The first eye was done 6 weeks ago, and the second one was done 4 weeks ago. In fact, I just finished my drops on Sunday. I used 2 different kinds of drops 3x daily.

I have been wearing Progressive lenses for about 30 years and now, with the Mono (IOL's), I don't need any glasses at all. The Ophthalmologist said I might need "readers" from the store, but after about 2 weeks of using them, I found I didn't need them at all. They also have "Multi focal lenses" but they are $5,000.00 for both and he said there are "down sides - such as "halos around headlights at night and also around lamps in the house" which one would have to get used to. I opted for the Mono lenses and am glad I did. Even if I needed "readers" - no problem. My vision now is 20/20..... Can't beat that with a stick.

I love my "new" eyes. The lenses have a Rx in them just like you are wearing glasses. A lot of people do need "readers" but that's okay too. I paid probably thousands of dollars over the years for glasses and now, if I needed readers, they are $5.00. LOL

You'll love it.... My eyes are so bright now. They look alive. Good luck and don't worry. Smile{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Cataract surgery w/ mono vision lens implants- anyone had this?

I have a Multi-focal iol lens in my left eye which allows me to read all distances without wearing the trifocals I wore for years and years. I had to pay $1700 extra for this lens as Medicare does not cover this type of lens. In my right eye I have a Mono-focal iol lens and it was paid 100% by Medicare.

Had I gone with Mono-focal iol lenses in both eyes, according to my Ophthalmologist, I would still have to wear my glasses for reading. That is why I chose to pay extra for the Multi-focal as I figured with the many eye function changes over the years it would probably cost me more than that to keep updating my eye wear prescriptions. Plus it keeps me from having to look or carry glasses for reading.

Wouldn't do it any differently if I had the choice once again.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I am near sighted and after cataract surgery I want to be able to read without glasses just as I do now and only wear glasses for distance. Has anyone had these results?

Contributor

My dd and dh have both had the surgery, and neither of them had any problems. They love it.

Occasional Contributor

I had both eyes done this year. I wore glasses from age 7 and contacts since I was 14 and now for the first time, I don't need ANYTHING. I had the reading eye done first and just wore the one contact for distance. I then had the distance eye done. I still am amazed how wonderful it is. I can read the smallest print and my distance vision is great. If you've worn the mono vision contacts, you will adjust with no problem! Don't hesitate!

Honored Contributor

On 10/10/2014 Montana said:

I have cataracts in both eyes and will probably need surgery early next year. The doctor did not discuss options yet. Am I understanding this correctly? - a mono vision lens corrects for one distance, and glasses would still be needed. I have been nearsighted all my life and I think this is how I want my vision corrected. I don't mind having to wear glasses for distance, it is what I am used to.

With my mono vision contacts one lens corrects for distance, the other for reading. I'm assuming the surgery would do the same - no need for glasses at all.

Honored Contributor

On 10/11/2014 yyy said:

I had both eyes done this year. I wore glasses from age 7 and contacts since I was 14 and now for the first time, I don't need ANYTHING. I had the reading eye done first and just wore the one contact for distance. I then had the distance eye done. I still am amazed how wonderful it is. I can read the smallest print and my distance vision is great. If you've worn the mono vision contacts, you will adjust with no problem! Don't hesitate!

This is what I am hoping for. I have the beginnings of cataracts but the doctor says it is too soon for surgery. i think he has an outdated view. It will just get worse; why wait until it is seriously limiting one's vision?