Respected Contributor

Cataract surgery-recent problems

The surgery was a piece of cake, even right after it (both eyes, one at a time, 2 weeks apart).  That was the end of November.

I've been to my optometrist (for new glasses) and my opthalmologist (surgeon) for 3 post-surgery checkups.  He says everything looks perfect.  I told him it felt like something was in my right eye.  He told me I have dry eye and he recommended specific eye drops, which I've been using faithfully.

Both eyes (mostly the right) still bother me and I'm getting concerned that this discomfort is going to continue.  Has anyone else experienced something similar?

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery-recent problems

My spouse just had cataract surgery and he's experiencing same thing!  We went to surgeon for follow up and he recommended eye drops (OTC)  said he has dry eye. Nothing related to his surgery.

The drops seem to be working but he still has the feeling something in his eye.  Seemed this happened after he stopped taking the prescription eye drops.

We go Thursday for another follow up with eye doctor he's going to ask again.

Its driving him crazy🙀 @spent2much 

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1  Thank you SO much for your reply - very helpful.  Hey, would you do me a favor?  Message me here after he goes to the doc and tell me what his doc says?  I would SO appreciate it.  ❤

Honored Contributor

@spent2much 

sure!

I don't know if his dry eye could come from oxygen use, but, prior to cataract surgery he never had this problem🤷‍♀️

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I don't know if his dry eye could come from oxygen use, but, prior to cataract surgery he never had this problem🤷‍♀️

@homedecor1  NEITHER DID I !!!!!

Honored Contributor

I have heard similar stories about the discomfort which sometimes lasts a long time.

Honored Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

The surgery was a piece of cake, even right after it (both eyes, one at a time, 2 weeks apart).  That was the end of November.

I've been to my optometrist (for new glasses) and my opthalmologist (surgeon) for 3 post-surgery checkups.  He says everything looks perfect.  I told him it felt like something was in my right eye.  He told me I have dry eye and he recommended specific eye drops, which I've been using faithfully.

Both eyes (mostly the right) still bother me and I'm getting concerned that this discomfort is going to continue.  Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Yes @spent2much , I had residual discomfort for about a year after my successful cataract surgery. It felt like I had something in my eye but my vision was restored to 20/20 and I no longer needed glasses. Now years later, I still can see 20/20. I am a slow healer due to Type 1 diabetes.

Hang in there. It does get better!

Valued Contributor

I had my cataract surgery in April of 2022 and when they checked my eyes they told me to take krill oil because the oil glands were not working right.  They said the oil came out like toothpaste instead of oil.  I found regular fish oil capsules worked better for me than krill oil.

I also developed PCO which is like a second cataract.  I had to have both eyes done with a laser then you have a lot of floater like pieces that should only last about 3 weeks.  I am in my second week of my second eye and the floaters are there but the right eye seems to have cleared.  The PCO happens in about 25 - 50% of cataract surgeries.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Yes @spent2much , I had residual discomfort for about a year after my successful cataract surgery. It felt like I had something in my eye but my vision was restored to 20/20 and I no longer needed glasses. Now years later, I still can see 20/20. I am a slow healer due to Type 1 diabetes.

Hang in there. It does get better!

Thanks for your input, @Trinity11 .  Gee, I wasn't expecting ANY problems at all, so this is quite surprising (and disappointing) for me.  I'll take your advice ("hang in there.  It does get better!")  I mean, honestly, what other coice do I have?  LOLOLOLOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spent2much 

@homedecor1  My husband had cataract surgery four years ago

and he has been using eye drops ever since, when they feel irritated and gritty.

Last August, I had Laser eye surgery for Glaucoma. My eyes will feel like there is something in them and I  still use eyedrops

a couple times a week when that happens.

My doctor said that I now have dry eyes. Sometimes I get an aching pain at the top of my eyeball. I see the Dr. in March and

I will tell her about that.

My thought is that once you have someone mess with your eyes, you are always left with a problem. Your eyes are not the same. They also said that I have cataracts and the beginning of

Macular Degeneration.   Fun!