Trusted Contributor

Cataract surgery question about bending

Is there a restriction on bending following cataract surgery?  If so, for how long?  Is there anything else like this that you can think of that changes the ability to do daily activities?

NOTE to those ready to scold that I should talk with an eye doctor...it is only a general question and want input from these who have had the surgery, so not to worry.  No need to reprimand OP or responders.  Resist the urge to add your 2 cents.

TIA to those who respond with helpful info.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Valued Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery question about bending

My husband is scheduled to have cataract surgery in November.  The doctor told him the only thing he has to do is wear an eye cup for a few days (rounded patch so it doesn't press on the eye) and use special eye drops for 30 days.  Now that is based on his exam from his surgeon.  I'm sure other people might have other restrictions based on their exams.  Of course it is best to consult with the doctor.  (Nothing was mentioned about "bending")

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had both eyes done and I wasn't told anything about not bending.

My only restriction was, "Don't rub your eyes!".

For the first couple of weeks I slept in an eyemask, so I wouldn't rub them in my sleep.

Also make sure you have sunglasses when you're out in the sun, your eyes will be more sensitive to light for awhile.

It'll be the best thing you've ever done for yourself!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I've had two cataract surgeries and there was no mention of restriction on physical activity including bending.  Years ago, when my mom had this surgery, she was told not to bend, but this seems to have gone by the wayside.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Each Dr. may have a different opinion with different cases. For the best answer, I would ask the Dr. that is doing your surgery.

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

@Havarti 

Loved the last part of your post, well said!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I had cataract surgery (both eyes an month apart). I was told not to bend over for a few days  (maybe a week) right after each surgery. So, just temporary.

Trusted Contributor

My husband had cataract surgery years ago and was told  not to bend over to pick things up and don't lift anything heavy. I can't remember how long he had to do that for though. Sorry.

Honored Contributor

No restrictions for me, except to wear an eye cup to sleep with for a few nights. I sleep on my side with my face on my arm.

I had no problems and drove to my dr appt the next morning and then drove myself to work.  No problems seeing.

Respected Contributor

I was told not to play golf for 5 days after the surgery, partially because of all the bending over and partially because of just general motion. But I'd also had a retinal detachment previously in the same eye. Other than that, no restrictions. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~