Respected Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery question about bending

@Havarti wrote:
Is there a restriction on bending following cataract surgery?  If so, for how long?  Is there anything else like this that you can think of that changes the ability to do daily activities?

NOTE to those ready to scold that I should talk with an eye doctor...it is only a general question and want input from these who have had the surgery, so not to worry.  No need to reprimand OP or responders.  Resist the urge to add your 2 cents.

TIA to those who respond with helpful info.

I've had both eyes done 2 weeks apart, Came home only with a pair of very dark sun glasses they furnished, and told not to shower for a couple days. You can bathe in a tub, just no water going in your eyes.I had lazer surgery ,after a couple days got cheap readers at the drug store/' Was told nothing about bending down, but I think my neighbor was told that.Good luck, I found the whole precedure  easy and no pain. Just have to watch the bright sun and light for awhile.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on your eye doctor/surgeon.  I had cataract surgery three weeks ago and was told not to bend or pick up anything that's heavier than 5 pounds.  I had to wear an eye protector at night and not get any water in my eyes.  All of these restrictions were for only about a week.   I made sure my hair was washed the day before the surgery.  I went to a salon to have my hair washed the week after surgery because you can make sure water doesn't get in your eye.  

It's very important to remember to put all the eye drops in as often as it's required.  You will have followup visits with your doctor to check on the eye.  I had a followup the day after and then one week after that.  I'm going tomorrow for another followup which will be three weeks since surgery.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had both eyes done last January just two days apart.  I was told no bending for 24 hours and I wore the patch for two nights.  If you are an eye rubber you probably should wear it longer.

I think it depends on how long ago people had the surgery and what instructions were given at the time.  Methods have improved greatly and information has been updated.  A week after I had mine done I scrubbed walls because I could now see the dirt.  I've had no problems.

I also washed my hair while in the shower about 3 days after.  I leaned back so that water didn't run in my face.  The Dr. said that was ok.  They just don't want you to do anything that causes you to rub your eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't have a restriction on bending either but I did make my husband clean the litter boxes for a few days to avoid getting dust in the eyes. I wore protective glasses (you can buy them at Lowe's or Home Depot for under $10) when I showered. I have to wash my hair daily so I did shower the next day wearing the protective glasses. 

Respected Contributor

@Havarti   I had both eyes done in 2017.  I was told not to lift anything heavier than 30 lbs for 24 hours.  Heck, I can't lift 30 lbs anyway!  I was supposed to tape the cup over the eye at bedtime for 3 days, but I sleep like a stiff and don't rub my eyes, so I didn't even do that.

After each surgery I could see well enough to drive home, but they make you have a driver because of the sedative.  My sister dropped me off, and I was out riding my bike within an hour (with dark glasses because of the bright sun and the dilated pupil).

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your insight, tips, tricks and great ideas!  So many things I had never thought of but come purely from the wisdom & resourcefulness of personal experience.  That was exactly the perspective I was wanting.

Thanks, too, to all those who resisted the urge to tell me I should be asking the eye doctor or that one should not ask for medical info on the Internet.  
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had very few restrictions:

1. I wore an eye cup at night for a few days.

2.  I could not drive until the doctor cleared me.  In the first eye it was 2 days; the second eye it was the next day after my follow-up appointment.

3. No heavy lifting for a few days.

4. No eye rubbing or water in the eye.

Good luck....it was really uneventful.  The result was as if someone had turned on the lights.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Havarti 

Have had both eyes done. Left with a Multi-focal lens, Right with a Mono-focal lens. Was not told to avoid bending over with either surgery. Did not effect any of my activities, nor did I have either eye covered post surgery. Eye drops were a pain in the *** and that's about it, for me anyways.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

Husband  and I had  both of our  eyes done weeks  apart . Neither one of us were allowed to bend over for several  days...Bought a grabber  for  picking up things advertised on T.v. of course you drop everything brush kleenex etc sure came in  handy......

Valued Contributor

@2blonde 

@2blonde wrote:

@Havarti   I had both eyes done in 2017.  I was told not to lift anything heavier than 30 lbs for 24 hours.  Heck, I can't lift 30 lbs anyway!  I was supposed to tape the cup over the eye at bedtime for 3 days, but I sleep like a stiff and don't rub my eyes, so I didn't even do that.

After each surgery I could see well enough to drive home, but they make you have a driver because of the sedative.  My sister dropped me off, and I was out riding my bike within an hour (with dark glasses because of the bright sun and the dilated pupil).

@2blondeYour first paragraph gave me a chuckle, thank you!