Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery lens choice

I had happy results with monovision lenses implanted 3 years ago.  Due to astigmatism I paid 2,000. each for toric lenses.  Having worn monovision contacts

for many years, I was used to one eye seeing close up and the other distance.  I don't need any further correction from glasses.  I went to a well known vision center whose founder pioneered many cataract surgery techniques.  There are

many choices that are good.  Best wishes choosing the one that is best for you.

Trusted Contributor

I'm a member of a few eye Facebook groups and one thing I've noticed is that the ones who choose premium IOLs have more complications and problems than ones who choose the standard lenses. Having top cataract surgeons didn't even seem to change that. I would definitely choose the standard ones, if I had to get them.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Frequent Contributor

Greetings all,

I am 11 months post surgery. 

I had the Toric lenses implanted for distance vision. I couldn't be happier or maybe I should just say Life Changing Event for the good.

I had worn glasses for 55+ years and progressives for 25+ years.

My vision could only be corrected pre surgery to 20/35.

I now have 20/20 vision and at least 10 pairs of readers all over the house but:

• I can see when I get up
  • I can read road signs
  • I can see birds and STARS and so many things I missed
  • I can see the fuzz from my feet in the bathtub when I shower and the dust on the ceiling
  • Colors are amazing 
  • I think I saw the Milky Way for the first time ever this month.

I had once been corrected for monovision with contacts and still had to use readers due to my astigmatism. I chose not to go that way for that reason.

I would make the same choice again and it was truly life changing

To put things into perspective, with no correction my vision pre surgery was 20/800.

Search the internet for how bad that is.

So if I ever lost my glasses, well I couldn't see anything but to thread a needle.

If you can afford it, Toric is the way to go and I stressed over my choice up until the day of surgery.

I had no complications and I followed the Dr. orders completely.

Esteemed Contributor

@Boxerdoglover wrote:

Greetings all,

I am 11 months post surgery. 

I had the Toric lenses implanted for distance vision. I couldn't be happier or maybe I should just say Life Changing Event for the good.

I had worn glasses for 55+ years and progressives for 25+ years.

My vision could only be corrected pre surgery to 20/35.

I now have 20/20 vision and at least 10 pairs of readers all over the house but:

• I can see when I get up
  • I can read road signs
  • I can see birds and STARS and so many things I missed
  • I can see the fuzz from my feet in the bathtub when I shower and the dust on the ceiling
  • Colors are amazing 
  • I think I saw the Milky Way for the first time ever this month.

I had once been corrected for monovision with contacts and still had to use readers due to my astigmatism. I chose not to go that way for that reason.

I would make the same choice again and it was truly life changing

To put things into perspective, with no correction my vision pre surgery was 20/800.

Search the internet for how bad that is.

So if I ever lost my glasses, well I couldn't see anything but to thread a needle.

If you can afford it, Toric is the way to go and I stressed over my choice up until the day of surgery.

I had no complications and I followed the Dr. orders completely.

That sounds exactly like me. My vision was 20/800 before surgery and now I'm about 20/15. I had been wearing glasses for 50 years and progressives for around 20-23 years. Glasses were the first thing on in the morning and last thing off at night.  Expensive yes, but when my doctor asked what I wanted I told him I wanted the best vision I could buy. 

Honored Contributor

@Stevie Nix wrote:

I got astigmatism-corrective lenses.  I guess they were considered "premium" because they were expensive and not covered by insurance.  With basic I would still have to wear glasses for distance as well as reading glasses.  

I'm having my surgery Tues. and am paying 1600 for the middle of the road lenses for astigmatism problems.  Medicare will pay for the cataract end of it, but, they think you can wear glasses afterwards and not paying for the fancier procedure.

I can afford the middle of the road procedure and am sick and tired of having 29 pairs of glasses at every station, the other day I left them at Aubelo's and we had to drive back to get them. I want my eyes back to as perfect as they can practically do it.

You got Medicare paid option

1600 out of pocket option for astigmatism problems

2000-4000 out of pocket for some other kind of problem out of pocket

can't remember if that's per eye or total.

Mine is 800 per eye. out of pocket . Medicare won't pay nothing on

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@granddi  Thank you for the "detailed" info.  I am amazed that posters in this thread had a choice.  I surely was not given one.  The eye surgeon told me what lenes I was given & what they would do. 

Since I didn't have to pay, I guess I got the basic as well as my neighbors since they did not know what the hell I was talking about.  I asked a few of my neighbors & they were not given choices either.

Interesting......

Got to do with money, etc.

Respected Contributor

Well, it's my turn. Saw the eye doctor today, and will see the eye surgeon on Monday (11/4).  The best vision I could get with glasses was 20/60. My driver's license renewal is coming up early next year and I need to fix this.

Thankfully, I have no macular issues or other eye problems.

My eyes are still blurry from the eye drops.