Valued Contributor

Cataract surgery lens choice

I will be having cataract surgery and need to select a basic or premium lens.  Please give your experience and thoughts on your implanted lens.  Are you happy with whatever choice you made?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery lens choice

[ Edited ]

When I had my surgery I didn't have a choiceSmiley Very Happyoctor recommended standard lens.  It was a good choice for me although I need to wear glasses for reading.  I had progressives made (basically clear on top)so I wouldn't need to keep putting on and taking off glasses.

Honored Contributor

I was not given a choice.  Didn't know patients were given one.  First I heard of it.

Since you were given one, I would grill the doctor on the pros & cons of each.

I have no complaints.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I got astigmatism-corrective lenses.  I guess they were considered "premium" because they were expensive and not covered by insurance.  With basic I would still have to wear glasses for distance as well as reading glasses.  

Trusted Contributor

@shy bobcat I got the basic lenses and am happy with them.  Wore bifocals before and now I only need reading glasses.  I have read on prior forums that some who got the upgrade no longer need glasses, some still need readers.  Same with the basic, some no longer need glasses at all, some just need readers.  For me I find it fun to buy the readers lol.  I buy them on-line and they are inexpensive.  Keep a pair on each level of my home, one in my purse and even one in each bathroom.Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I was not given a choice.  Didn't know patients were given one.  First I heard of it.

Since you were given one, I would grill the doctor on the pros & cons of each.

I have no complaints.

Standard lenses: Pros--Insurance usually covers fully. Yes, you will have to wear at least readers

Premium lenses (multifocal): Pros--your doctor will make a lot of money Cons--There is no guarantee that with this lens you will NOT need supplemental eye glasses. More likely to have night glare. 

Premium lenses (astigmatism): Are worth the extra patient expense if you can afford. You will still have to use readers.

Monovision: one eye far and one eye near requires a very skilled surgeon calculating the powers and the patient must understand the use and limits of this choice. 

Remember: Artificial vision will never be as the same as natural 20/20 vision. There are those that will disagree and say that he/she loves the premium lenses. 

Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat 

I had both eyes done years ago. Having worn bifocals and then into trifocals for years, I haven't worn glasses, even readers, since my left eye cataract surgery. I paid $1700 for a Multi-focal for the eye, and Medicare paid 100% of my Mono-focal lens in my right eye.

In the long run it has saved me money already, over and above what I would have spent buying new glasses and lenses almost every year. I had reached that point with my vision where lens changes were necessary almost every year.

Nothing but positive experience for me with my choice of lenses with my surgeries.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shy bobcat    I had theToric lens implanted in both eyes  almost two years ago. I have better than 20/15 vision distance now where prior to surgery I was VERY nearsighted my entire life and could not  see at all distance without glasses or contacts.  I do have to use readers for close up. Not a problem as I used them anyway when I wore contact lenses.

I have a pretty bad astigmatismm which made me not a good candidate for the other lens that provides both good vision far and close up.   If I had chosen that lens, I most likely still  would have required glasses for distance... and that was what I wanted to get away from. 

I am very happy with the  outcome of my surgery. I see so well distance now. It is like a miracle going from  what I felt was blind without my contacts in... to seeing so well! 

I did pay an extra $1000 plus for each  eye over what insurance paid for.  They would only cover  the standard lense.  That would not have corrected my nearsighted ness.... and that was what I wanted corrected!

I was told of my different options of lenses.....  and the price of each.. and what insurance covered and would not cover. Can not understand why some people are not told of the premium lense options? 

Respected Contributor

I'll probably need cataract surgery soon, but I am nearsighted and have never worn readers and I don't want to start.  I'm used to wearing glasses for distance only.

Of course, if possible, I would prefer not needing any glasses at all. I don't mind paying extra.

Honored Contributor

@granddi  Thank you for the "detailed" info.  I am amazed that posters in this thread had a choice.  I surely was not given one.  The eye surgeon told me what lenes I was given & what they would do. 

Since I didn't have to pay, I guess I got the basic as well as my neighbors since they did not know what the hell I was talking about.  I asked a few of my neighbors & they were not given choices either.

Interesting......

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif