Respected Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery lens choice

@shy bobcat wrote:

I will be having cataract surgery and need to select a basic or premium lens.  Please give your experience and thoughts on your implanted lens.  Are you happy with whatever choice you made?

I have astigmatism so could not settle for the basic lens.  Also, my eyes were corrected 12 years ago via Lasik for monovision. (after 10 years of monovision contacts) My doctor thought my brain was so used to monovision that it was best to continue with it.

I'm pleased with the results.  The only time I need readers is for tiny print or if I've been reading a long time.

The biggest difference with cataract surgery is, it's as if someone turned on the lights.

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@patbz wrote:

@Puppy Lips :  You don't need two doctors; go to an ophthalmologist (he or she can do it all).

@patbz Well I was going to go to my regular eye doctor (who has an office in Walmart) to have him check me out again.  The last time he talked about my cataracts, he said they were on the verge or just past what would be considered bad enough to be eligible for the procedure.  He did give me a referal.  But I have not acted on it for two reasons - I am a bit scared, though I imagine many are, and, I figure the longer I wait, maybe newer or better lenses would become available.  But, as long as I can see distance afterward, I am okay with using reading glasses.  So I guess I have no excuse now.  But, I also thought the entire thing was covered by insurance.  From these posts, I will likely opt for the best I can get, so it is going to cost me some money.

@Puppy Lips , please go ahead and make an appointment with the opthalmologist. I've always been farsighted but didn't need glasses for reading until my mid-fifties. My vision eventually changed to needing bi-focals. As time passed I could clearly see (no pun intended) a decline in my over-all vision. As I have said before on the subject, I was ready, willing and able to get the best vision possible no matter the cost. It turned out to be the standard lenses. They are each individually customized to your eyes. I guess some people think the standard lenses are the same for everyone. 

I was terrified before the first eye was done. I was shaking so hard the pre-op people practically had to hold me down to put the anesthetic drops in my eye. I was so scared the ophthalmologist came out and chatted with me a while before they wheeled me into the OR. 

It takes maybe ten minutes and doesn't hurt. In fact, I'm looking up at the bright light and thought when are they going to start and it was already over. They take you to the recovery room where they monitor you. Probably in there less than thirty minutes. My vision in that eye was so clear it was absolutely amazing. I wasn't afraid or apprehensive at all when my other eye was done. It has been almost four years and I still don't need glasses or anything to read the tiniest print. 

Honored Contributor

My husband insisted on laser surgery for cataract removal when he found out it was bloodless. Medicare and our supplemental insurance does not pay for laser removal or the lens implant no matter what you choose. Our insurance paid for the surgical suite and meds. My husband was satisfied with the out come, he does not wear glasses at all and is lucky he does not have glare at night when he drives. I think the total bill was over 6 thousand dollars out of pocket. I am opting for the basic.

Respected Contributor

Like others, I was not given a choice. Some eye doctors, IMO, have a deity complex, and mine was one. He decided that although I was just supposed to get plain simple lenses since I wasn't paying extra, he'd implant one for near vision in one eye and one for far vision in the other eye.

Thankfully, he shared this lunatic plan with me in the post-op exam after the first surgery, and I was shocked. I get migraines, icepick headaches, sick stomach headaches, etc., and I could just imagine the kind of headaches I'd get with such a distortion in vision. I told him absolutely not, and to implant an identical lens in the second eye so I'd have consistent vision, and he did.

The aftermath was rocky. I developed terrible dry eye, which is a well-known but little-mentioned side effect of the surgery. I hadn't had it before and didn't realize what it was. Eventually most people's dry eye resolves, and mine did, but I'd have bad attacks of dry eye after that. I finally saw a different eye doctor about it and he recommended liberal use of artificial tears and taking an Omega supplement, which I started that day. Five months and no attacks, and I'd have had at least one by now, so I swear by Omega 3>9 supplements.

I am very glad to have gotten the cataracts removed, and apart from the now-resolved dry eye issue, had no problems with the surgery. I had it done without sedation, so I was aware of everything happening, which was interesting. But my advice is to have a very granular discussion with the surgeon about exactly what he or she will be doing and why, and specifically what will be implanted in your eye. Research side effects and be prepared for dry eye. Follow all the post-surgery instructions and use the drops they give you as directed.

My last word on this is I've known several people in RL who've paid thousands of $ extra for having corrective lenses implanted when they had their cataracts done, and not one of them has been able to stop wearing eyeglasses. One of them got a partial refund on the surgery costs because the surgeon had promised a glasses-free life and didn't deliver. So just be aware that although people on this thread seem to have had great experiences from start to finish, some don't. Good luck.

Valued Contributor

I am curious if anyone else "sparkles" with the premium lenses.  My sister and brother-in-law both got them and when the light hits their eyes a certain way, the lens sparkles.  I seem to notice it only on them but then again, I'm in their company a lot.

Honored Contributor

@Carol Diane 

I have not noticed that with any friends of mine after cataract surgery. Where I see it is in a lot of people that wear contact lenses, especially the colored contact lenses.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

I am curious if anyone else "sparkles" with the premium lenses.  My sister and brother-in-law both got them and when the light hits their eyes a certain way, the lens sparkles.  I seem to notice it only on them but then again, I'm in their company a lot.

Mine do, my brother's do, and my Realtor's do. I can now spot people who've had cataract surgery from that tell-tale white gleam in their pupils.

It happens with non-premium lenses, too. 

Honored Contributor

When my mom had hers done, they made it clear that the premium lenses didn't guarantee that it would correct her vision enough to not need glasses, and couple that with the extra cost that insurance won't cover, and it wasn't worth the price/risk. 

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Like others, I was not given a choice. Some eye doctors, IMO, have a deity complex, and mine was one. He decided that although I was just supposed to get plain simple lenses since I wasn't paying extra, he'd implant one for near vision in one eye and one for far vision in the other eye.

Thankfully, he shared this lunatic plan with me in the post-op exam after the first surgery, and I was shocked. I get migraines, icepick headaches, sick stomach headaches, etc., and I could just imagine the kind of headaches I'd get with such a distortion in vision. I told him absolutely not, and to implant an identical lens in the second eye so I'd have consistent vision, and he did.

The aftermath was rocky. I developed terrible dry eye, which is a well-known but little-mentioned side effect of the surgery. I hadn't had it before and didn't realize what it was. Eventually most people's dry eye resolves, and mine did, but I'd have bad attacks of dry eye after that. I finally saw a different eye doctor about it and he recommended liberal use of artificial tears and taking an Omega supplement, which I started that day. Five months and no attacks, and I'd have had at least one by now, so I swear by Omega 3>9 supplements.

I am very glad to have gotten the cataracts removed, and apart from the now-resolved dry eye issue, had no problems with the surgery. I had it done without sedation, so I was aware of everything happening, which was interesting. But my advice is to have a very granular discussion with the surgeon about exactly what he or she will be doing and why, and specifically what will be implanted in your eye. Research side effects and be prepared for dry eye. Follow all the post-surgery instructions and use the drops they give you as directed.

My last word on this is I've known several people in RL who've paid thousands of $ extra for having corrective lenses implanted when they had their cataracts done, and not one of them has been able to stop wearing eyeglasses. One of them got a partial refund on the surgery costs because the surgeon had promised a glasses-free life and didn't deliver. So just be aware that although people on this thread seem to have had great experiences from start to finish, some don't. Good luck.

@noodleann If my vision is not completely corrected, can I still wear contacts after having cataract surgery?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

When my mom had hers done, they made it clear that the premium lenses didn't guarantee that it would correct her vision enough to not need glasses, and couple that with the extra cost that insurance won't cover, and it wasn't worth the price/risk. 

This pretty much says it all.

Many people share their personal experiences and they are helpful. But each person's vision different. Eventhough I have astigmatism it many not be the amount or shape of your prescription.  

Some are successful with multifocal and some with monovision.

The bottom line is inform yourself and remember that there are no guarantees that after cataract surgery you will be glasses free.