Honored Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery lens choice

@ Montana wrote:

I'll probably need cataract surgery soon, but I am nearsighted and have never worn readers and I don't want to start.  I'm used to wearing glasses for distance only.

Of course, if possible, I would prefer not needing any glasses at all. I don't mind paying extra.

@ Montana     You must use bifocal glasses.  I chose to wear standard corrective glasses for my 20/400 nearsightedness and did not use bifocal lenses as they bothered me.  I used reading glasses.  When  I wore my contacts( pretty much 16 hours a day), it corrected my distance but I still used reading glasses for up close.

Hopefully the premium lense that corrects both close and far vision will be an option for you...they will be able to tell with the tests they do on your eyes.   It really depends on if you have a bad astigmatism or not.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@granddi  Thank you for the "detailed" info.  I am amazed that posters in this thread had a choice.  I surely was not given one.  The eye surgeon told me what lenes I was given & what they would do. 

Since I didn't have to pay, I guess I got the basic as well as my neighbors since they did not know what the hell I was talking about.  I asked a few of my neighbors & they were not given choices either.

Interesting......

The doctors must have ASSUMED that they did not want the option for the premium lenses so never offered them?  Medicare and standard insurance will only cover the standard lense which does not correct your vision to 20/20 or better.    As I said in my post, I can not believe that the premium lense was not at least shown as an option?????  Very odd.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@shy bobcat    I had theToric lens implanted in both eyes  almost two years ago. I have better than 20/15 vision distance now where prior to surgery I was VERY nearsighted my entire life and could not  see at all distance without glasses or contacts.  I do have to use readers for close up. Not a problem as I used them anyway when I wore contact lenses.

I have a pretty bad astigmatismm which made me not a good candidate for the other lens that provides both good vision far and close up.   If I had chosen that lens, I most likely still  would have required glasses for distance... and that was what I wanted to get away from. 

I am very happy with the  outcome of my surgery. I see so well distance now. It is like a miracle going from  what I felt was blind without my contacts in... to seeing so well! 

I did pay an extra $1000 plus for each  eye over what insurance paid for.  They would only cover  the standard lense.  That would not have corrected my nearsighted ness.... and that was what I wanted corrected!

I was told of my different options of lenses.....  and the price of each.. and what insurance covered and would not cover. Can not understand why some people are not told of the premium lense options? 

@SeaMaiden Thank you for your response.  I also am VERY nearsighted.  My time to get cataract surgery is getting closer and closer.  Lately I have really noticed that I can not see well at all, so I need to get back to the eye doctor, and then to a cataract doctor.  I have to admit that I am a bit scared about the whole thing.  I keep thinking something will go wrong and I will really be blind afterward.  I will surely ask about the Toric lense.  I would not mind wearing reading glasses at all, as I do now over my contacts just like you did.  The thought of seeing distance without contacts really excites me though.  I have been wearing glasses, then contacts since the 2nd grade.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@shy bobcat    I had theToric lens implanted in both eyes  almost two years ago. I have better than 20/15 vision distance now where prior to surgery I was VERY nearsighted my entire life and could not  see at all distance without glasses or contacts.  I do have to use readers for close up. Not a problem as I used them anyway when I wore contact lenses.

I have a pretty bad astigmatismm which made me not a good candidate for the other lens that provides both good vision far and close up.   If I had chosen that lens, I most likely still  would have required glasses for distance... and that was what I wanted to get away from. 

I am very happy with the  outcome of my surgery. I see so well distance now. It is like a miracle going from  what I felt was blind without my contacts in... to seeing so well! 

I did pay an extra $1000 plus for each  eye over what insurance paid for.  They would only cover  the standard lense.  That would not have corrected my nearsighted ness.... and that was what I wanted corrected!

I was told of my different options of lenses.....  and the price of each.. and what insurance covered and would not cover. Can not understand why some people are not told of the premium lense options? 

@SeaMaiden Thank you for your response.  I also am VERY nearsighted.  My time to get cataract surgery is getting closer and closer.  Lately I have really noticed that I can not see well at all, so I need to get back to the eye doctor, and then to a cataract doctor.  I have to admit that I am a bit scared about the whole thing.  I keep thinking something will go wrong and I will really be blind afterward.  I will surely ask about the Toric lense.  I would not mind wearing reading glasses at all, as I do now over my contacts just like you did.

@Puppy Lips     Look at it like an inconvience for one day for each eye... a bit of  " discomfort...."  That is all it is.  Not pain... just discomfort.   And do not worry about anything going wrong... it is like 97% good... they have to tell you of any POSSIBLE problems... just like any surgery... but they are slim to none. It is one of the best things since sliced bread. I wore contacts for almost 50 years... and now I see SO GOOD. You just go have it done... and KNOW  you will be seeing so good for the rest of your life.   JUST DO IT. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I had mine done almost 2 years ago. I got the Toric lenses. I had it all. 20/800 vision and astigmatism. I got everything fixed I could get fixed. Yes it did cost me quite a bit but I don't need readers or any type of glasses. I had been wearing glasses for 50 years. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips :  You don't need two doctors; go to an ophthalmologist (he or she can do it all).

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Puppy Lips :  You don't need two doctors; go to an ophthalmologist (he or she can do it all).

@patbz Well I was going to go to my regular eye doctor (who has an office in Walmart) to have him check me out again.  The last time he talked about my cataracts, he said they were on the verge or just past what would be considered bad enough to be eligible for the procedure.  He did give me a referal.  But I have not acted on it for two reasons - I am a bit scared, though I imagine many are, and, I figure the longer I wait, maybe newer or better lenses would become available.  But, as long as I can see distance afterward, I am okay with using reading glasses.  So I guess I have no excuse now.  But, I also thought the entire thing was covered by insurance.  From these posts, I will likely opt for the best I can get, so it is going to cost me some money.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I was not given a choice.  Didn't know patients were given one.  First I heard of it.

Since you were given one, I would grill the doctor on the pros & cons of each.

I have no complaints.

Standard lenses: Pros--Insurance usually covers fully. Yes, you will have to wear at least readers

Premium lenses (multifocal): Pros--your doctor will make a lot of money Cons--There is no guarantee that with this lens you will NOT need supplemental eye glasses. More likely to have night glare. 

Premium lenses (astigmatism): Are worth the extra patient expense if you can afford. You will still have to use readers.

Monovision: one eye far and one eye near requires a very skilled surgeon calculating the powers and the patient must understand the use and limits of this choice. 

Remember: Artificial vision will never be as the same as natural 20/20 vision. There are those that will disagree and say that he/she loves the premium lenses. 

Totally incorrect. I have standard lenses and do not have to wear readers or glasses for anything. I was farsighted and with age had to start wearing glasses in order to read or to clearly see anything up close. In addition to that, one eye had astigmatism. I told my ophthalmologist that I wanted the best vision possible, regardless of cost. He said I did not need "premium" lenses. The very minute he finished correcting the eye with the worst vision,  I could see everything clearly, near and far. It was amazing!!! Wow, and the other eye would be done later. I have the monochromatic lenses. I didn't and haven't had any difficulty. My other eye was done a week later. He did my annual exam recently and I thanked him again for restoring my vision.

Respected Contributor

Since I've had severe astigmatism my whole life I chose the lenses for astigmatism correction - $1500 per eye. I can now watch TV and drive without glasses - fantastic. However I can see only distance and intermediate - still need glasses for reading. I don't really mind since I've worn glasses my whole life. To me it's just amazing the things I can see clearly without glasses.

Esteemed Contributor

My BIL had this surgery a few months ago The premium lens  would cost $4400. He decided to have the basic lenses.He only needs reading glasses.