Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery and mutli-focal lens implant anyone?

@pdlinda wrote:

@PilatesLover  I had tri-focal lenses implanted in 2012.  I had astigmatism and went for several appointments with the surgeon to ensure the measurements were correct for maximum success.  I also had cataracts.  

I have perfect 20/20 vision all these years later and I consider the surgery (that took 7 minutes for each eye) one of the great improvements in my life!  I can read the smallest print and have far vision, as well.  I see some halos at night; however, I don't go out much at night so that was never a problem.

Since the surgery I have never worn glasses.  Only regular sunglasses. 

My greatest advice is to make sure you have an exceptionally well-trained surgeon.  My surgeon had done more than 10,000 of these procedures when I had mine done and he's still operating on patients today. 

At the time, I paid $6,000 out-of-pocket; however, at my last annual exam, I inquired about the present cost of doing what I had done:  $9,000.

@pdlinda Thank you for the price info.  I went to one place and did not want to shop around for this surgery to find the least expensive.  I paid $9,000 and am glad to see that was not out of line.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Mine is very odd.  I don't have a lot of astigmatism, and when the correction for it is put in glasses, it doesn't work so they have to put in less or none.  

There are a few of us like that but not many!  So we didn't want to chance putting in correction in the implant.  I'm happy to wear glasses and even without them I can see but not read well. 

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover 

My husband had a multi focal in one eye and it was not successful-halos, headaches, etc

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I have both had cataract surgery within last three years.  Neither of us was a candidate for multi focal lens and I've tried the one eye near, one eye far in contacts and hated it, so neither of us went that route.  What we did was buy very low power progressives. I hate to put on and off glasses while reading while watching tv.  Plus side was our surgeries for both eyes, two people was slightly over $500, all in ( Medicare paid most of it).

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you everyone for your input.

I ultimately decided to go with the standard implant that my insurance pays for.  Especially considering I have pretty bad astigmitism, I'm afraid to put something in my eye that is "not refundable."  

I previously had cataract surgery with a standard implant on the right eye and have enough glitches and problems with that, hopefully that the laser can correct.  

Trusted Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

@PilatesLover 

My husband had a multi focal in one eye and it was not successful-halos, headaches, etc

I'm so sorry to hear that. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm having cataract surgery eye two in a couple weeks. The surgeon offered the option to buy up and get a multi-focal lens implant.

I already have the standard lens in my right eye, and can see far well enough but lost much of my near vision. If I get another standard lens I'll still need to wear glasses and will lose the little bit of close vision that's left. So it will be either bifocals or switching glasses all day. (NOPE - progressives are not an option.)

With the multi-focal I will need readers only for tiny print and not need distance glasses. They are expensive, but I'm only 63 and it would be sweet to be able to just see without changing glasses for far and near all day long.

Do you have a multi-focal lens, and do you like it? The technician mentioned there is a likelihood of developing a halo that will go away with time.

I have the one multi-focal lens. It has been worth every penny. II had the most wonderful surgeon in the world and feel like he gave me new eyes. 

I would give up most anything to have the multi-focal. 

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover 

My husband had the toric lens for astigmatism in the other eye and it caused no issues.  The quality of the surgeon is of utmost importance.

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@PilatesLover  I had tri-focal lenses implanted in 2012.  I had astigmatism and went for several appointments with the surgeon to ensure the measurements were correct for maximum success.  I also had cataracts.  

I have perfect 20/20 vision all these years later and I consider the surgery (that took 7 minutes for each eye) one of the great improvements in my life!  I can read the smallest print and have far vision, as well.  I see some halos at night; however, I don't go out much at night so that was never a problem.

Since the surgery I have never worn glasses.  Only regular sunglasses. 

My greatest advice is to make sure you have an exceptionally well-trained surgeon.  My surgeon had done more than 10,000 of these procedures when I had mine done and he's still operating on patients today. 

At the time, I paid $6,000 out-of-pocket; however, at my last annual exam, I inquired about the present cost of doing what I had done:  $9,000.

@pdlinda 

Wow!  I'm speechless.