Respected Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery...........

Just an update here........I had the surgery on Monday morning with a very qualified surgeon and a top notch hospital.  "Twilight" drug was used for my comfort.  The surgeon took my cataract out and put in a Toric lense for my astigmation vs. monofocal.  My cataract was small and insurance did cover it.  I was sent home with a shield over my eye and was instructed to continue the eye drops until my follow-up visit.  I did have a little blurred vision and it wore off during the first day.    Another thing that happened is that I could see a small crescent shape on the outside of my eye.  The second day I woke up and it seemed to be blurred again but cleared up again with the cresent shape still there. I did call the doctor and raised my concern but they confirmed that it was not that unusual.  The shape is light reflecting on my lense and the brain will have to get use to it there and adust.  My vision in my right eye has really improved drastically.  That was my goal.  Eventually they say it will go away.  I cannot shampoo my hair for a week (ugh....dry shampoo) and need to use the eye shield for 3-4 days while sleeping.  Glad it is done and ready for the second eye surgery.  Thanks

Contributor

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I have "early" cataracts but one day probably this year  I'll have to have the operation and the Toric lenses for astigmatism too.  It's good to know what to expect.

Respected Contributor

@primroses wrote:

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I have "early" cataracts but one day probably this year  I'll have to have the operation and the Toric lenses for astigmatism too.  It's good to know what to expect.

@primroses :  I just had my yearly eye exam in April with no mention of any impending problems.  Then in  December one eye was very cloudy.  Come to find out my "small" cataract was in the center of my pupil so I needed to do it ASAP.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@primroses wrote:

@primroses 

My optha!mologist diagnosed my cataracts and said they weren't ready for surgery yet. At my next yearly eye exam he said they're ready. I told him I wanted the best possible outcome regardless of cost. He is a well known ophthalmologist who has been in many high position committees and training. He told me he no longer implanted any "special" lenses due to their tendency to create problems that couldn't be resolved with time or surgery. I was perfectly willing and able to pay for "deluxe" lenses. He said "no."He corrected the astigmatism and implanted a lense. Perfect vision!!! My other eye didn't have an astigmatism. Had the second cataract surgery one week later. I had  bifocals and dreaded the idea of having to get trifocal glasses. It's been eight years since the cataract surgery. I have clear vision, no glasses needed. I have some very nice non-prescription sunglasses for bright sunlight. Every time I go for my yearly eye exam I thank this wonderful ophthalmologist for restoring my vision. 

Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining :  I am a little confused as to what he did for your eyes.  If he doesn't implant what procedure did he use?  I went to the top of the line hospital/opthamologist in my state so wondering........thanks.

Respected Contributor

My cataract surgeries were by laser. Doctor removed the cataracts and implanted new lenses. They are the standard lenses. Sorry if I didn't describe them correctly.

Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining :  My doctor also used the refractive laser surgery for my operation and put in a toric lense where I should not need any glasses.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery...........Update.........

i had both eyes done in 2003/2004. I had to have laser surg with the cataract surg. something about fine tuning the cataract surg. it has been such a long time since my surg. it was a short procedure done as out patient. 

only downside is, i need to wear sunglasses no matter how overcast is. i wear sun glasses year round light reallybothers my eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery...........Update.........

I had cataract surgery. At that time I got a multi-focal implant. It was a life changer for me. The surgery took dare of astygmatism.The surgery took me to no glasses restriction on my driver's license. Many headaches gone. As for bifocal, I still use readers, but there is such an improvement with bifocal vision that it was worth the money and would do it all again. 

Cataract and implants were a real life changer for me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Silver Lining :  My doctor also used the refractive laser surgery for my operation and put in a toric lense where I should not need any glasses.  Thank you.

@Hoovermom

The doctor that did my surgery uses a manual procedure to remove the cataract.

I found a kindly eye surgeon on YouTube that talks about cataract removal and lens. 

He is Shannon Wong. The doctor did use a laser for most procedures and moved to manual.

There is a video, " Is laser cataract surgery better than manual."