Regular Contributor

Re: Cataract surgery...........

@Hoovermom  You have gotten some great advice here!

I had cataract surgery done 1/2020 and so did my husband. He was a nervous wreck and I fell asleep pre-op! If you can relax, that is half of the battle. 

Please know that this is a very common surgery with very few post-op complications. 

Choose your surgeon wisely, then trust her/him!

I wore monovision contacts prior to surgery and had the same lenses implanted. (Right is near/ Left for distance)  My husband has the upgraded lenses for astigmatism. (Toric from Alcon)

We are both happy with the outcome! 

You'll do great!

Respected Contributor

Again, many thanks for all your help.  I have enjoyed reading your experiences and know that I will be happy when this is over...........now to relax and enjoy my new sight.  My doctor is the best and am comfortable with his practice.  Thanks so much all of you.

Respected Contributor

@gillsburg wrote:

I am having both eyes done first one Jan 4. I have heard something about upgrading to better lens implants. That you must pay for. Can anyone shed some light on this. I will ask my dr but haven't gotten a call back. 

I have severe astigmatism in both eyes so I chose the astigmatism lenses. Medicare covers only the basic lenses so I paid about $3K out of pocket. It's worth it to be able to see so much better.

Respected Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@gillsburg wrote:

I am having both eyes done first one Jan 4. I have heard something about upgrading to better lens implants. That you must pay for. Can anyone shed some light on this. I will ask my dr but haven't gotten a call back. 

I have severe astigmatism in both eyes so I chose the astigmatism lenses. Medicare covers only the basic lenses so I paid about $3K out of pocket. It's worth it to be able to see so much better.

@froggy :  I am doing the same thing.....thanks.

Honored Contributor

You will have a lifetime of not intensely rubbing your eyes.  Remember you have a piece of plastic on your eyes.  I've never had a problem after 10 years.

Super Contributor

I upgraded to the Symphony lens about 5 years ago when they were brand new.  They are a little pricey but worth every penny in my opinion.  I'm now 82 and do not wear glasses, except sunglasses with a very minor correction so I can read the dashboard with them on.  I have 1.5 readers for the exremely fine print on some packaging but that's it.  I would highly recommend investing in them.  

Respected Contributor

@IdahoGram wrote:

I upgraded to the Symphony lens about 5 years ago when they were brand new.  They are a little pricey but worth every penny in my opinion.  I'm now 82 and do not wear glasses, except sunglasses with a very minor correction so I can read the dashboard with them on.  I have 1.5 readers for the exremely fine print on some packaging but that's it.  I would highly recommend investing in them.  

@IdahoGram :  I am doing exactly as you suggested.....ditch the glasses and contacts.  Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

My brother had cataract surgery last year with regular Medicare. It will pay for the standard lense replacement only and he didn't want to pay $2k more for the CrystalLense, which he was told was the best available. 5 months later, he had problems seeing out of the regular lens; it "failed" and was told they often do that. He decided to spring for the better lens and has had no trouble since. Seems to me that Medicare should cover a high quality replacement lens in the first place. I need to have my cataract removed after the holidays but my eye doctor retired in Nov. and I will need a referral for someone to do the procedure. 

Honored Contributor

@RooRoo wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Thank you all for these encouraging replies.  I have an astigmatism and also am farsighted, so one eye at a time.  I did choose to have the lens implanted where I should not have to wear my glasses or contacts again.  Since I am doing this, they need to space out the other eye surgery in case they need to some some tweaking.  Yes, it does cost additional money 

@Hoovermom  You'll do great. I had mine done this past summer & was a little nervous beforehand. I don't have an astigmatism so I went for the regular lens. After decades of wearing glasses, I don't need them anymore except for very tiny print. The couple things I wasn't expecting were increased sensitivity to light and exacerbation of dry eyes. I never needed sunglasses before, now I do. Not a big deal but definitely different for me. Also, although my doctor always mentioned that I had dry eyes, it never affected me like now. I use Refresh drops regularly now. Just saw him for a follow up Tuesday & he mentioned with the dryness of heating and winter, to expect the dryness to continue for a bit. If I had to do it again, I would. The surgery was like a light show, very psychedelic, LOL. 

@RooRoo 

Is this ongoing and permanent ... or will the sensitivity subside over time?  

Contributor

I have astigmatism too and will get the Toric lenses when the time comes.  I was told I have "early" cararacts and medicare only pays for the surgery when your eyesight gets a bit worse.  Thanks for giving a ballpark figure on how much the Toric lenses wil likely cost me.