Super Contributor

Cataract Surgery and Implantation of Intraocular Lens

After a 3 hour comprehensive exam for cataract consultation, the doctor recommended me also getting implantation of intraocular lens.  This will eliminate cataracts, astigmatism and the need for contacts (approx $2800).  Insurance considers this cosmetic!  Basic cataract removal is covered.  I wasn't prepared for this option but scheduled surgery in August.  But now thinking about it scares me and gives me concerns.  I know I will need readers.  That option costs approx $10,000.  A cost at my age I won't consider.  I would like some feedback as to what precautions you have to take after implantation.  They gave me paperwork and I will call them to ask my other questions but wonder how others are doing after surgery.  It says you can't ever rub your eyes.  I know there are short-term restrictions but wonder about long-term restrictions and if you would do it again.  I want to make sure I am making the right decision.

Regular Contributor

Re: Cataract Surgery and Implantation of Intraocular Lens

I had this surgery done about three years ago and it's been wonderful.  I am SO happy I did it.  I had been wearing glasses or contacts since I was eight years old (now 60) and it's so great never to put contacts in again.  Initially, there are some precautions, and I was given a workbook to read every day for a couple of months, but after that initial period, I can see perfectly and I take no precautions.   Yes, you can wear eye makeup and rub your eyes.  It's as if the surgery never happened.  I occasionally need drugstore readers if the print is particularly small, but I can read most things without them.  There are no long-term restrictions and I highly recommend the surgery.

Honored Contributor

When you have cataract surgery they remove the natural lens from your eye and replace it with an artifical lens.Usually , you have an option to get a corrective lens implanted which eliminates the need for glasses - except in some cases readers. If you chose this option you are required to pay for the lens. They told my DH it was $800.He wasn't a candidate though because what is wrong with his eyes could not be corrected this way. I suppose , depending on how complicated your eye issue is would determine how expensive the lens is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cddh My Mom always wore glasses as she was nearsighted. She had the cataract surgery with the intraocular lens implants. Research the success rates where you are thinking about having this done to make sure it's a highly rated facility and doctor. Afterward, she did not need glasses and she was very happy to not need them. 

I've heard it's best to put off this surgery until it's absolutely necessary, because the intraocular lens impants stay in place for about 10 years. They can move or become dislocated due to the aging muscles that hold them in place in the eye. This happened to my Mom in one eye, and she was able to have the doctor stitch the existing lens back in place in outpatient surgery. Every six months she gets examined and the lens is still centered in place and she can see just fine. You are correct, you cannot rub your eyes or the lens can become dislocated that way, too.

Sometimes if the lens becomes dislocated, the doctor has to take out the lens and put in a new one, which is a bit more involved, but still doable.

Now it's been almost 20 years since her initial surgery and she does need distance glasses for watching the tiny basketball scores on TV but not to walk around or otherwise.

She has never needed reading glasses, but that's just her eyes. You can talk to your doctor about that.

Overall she is very pleased she had the surgery. 

Good luck deciding on yours!

Frequent Contributor

Had cataract surgery for both eyes about 2 years ago--one eye was diagnosed as being "legally blind."  Had laser for that one and the cutting method with the other eye.  Instant results and no pain whatsoever considering how invasive it all sounds.  Have to have a  laser touchup in a few months on the weaker eye which is about a 10 minute procedure and is very common .  I don't know about rubbing the eye causing problems but the rewards of instant clear vision from the intraocular lenses (for both near & far vision) was an expense but well worth it!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cddh

There is a thread about 20 threads down called "Questions for those who had cataract surgery", that is quite good.  Answers alot of these quesitons.  I had this surgery about 5 months ago.  I had the Multi-focal lenses put in.  I don't wear any glasses.  It was about $5800, I think in total.  Well worth it.  Not all people have that option.  Depends on your eyes.  If you can, glance through that thread.  Jan

Respected Contributor

@cddh

I had cataract surgery on both my eyes in May.  Eleven years ago I had Lasik surgery correcting my eyes to monovision. I have astigmatism so had Toric lenses placed in each eye.  You are correct, the standard lens would have been completely covered by insurance.  Each Toric lens cost $1360 above the covered rate.

Because I'd worn monovision contacts prior to my Lasik surgery, the surgeon continued this when she did cataract surgery.  She felt my brain was so accustomed to monovision it could be difficult for it to readjust to anything else.

Tomorrow I go for my final check-up.  I have not worn any glasses since I had my distance eye done in mid May.

Honored Contributor

@cddh

Unless I am missing your point, Cataract Surgery is the implantation of an Interocular Lens. I have had both eyes done. With my Left Eye I chose to pay $1700 out of pocket to have a Multi-focal IOL(Lens) put into that eye, thus I am able to read small print and see all distances without any glasses.

I wore trifocals for many years, decades, before having my cataract surgeries. For my Right Eye I went with the Medicare, fully paid, Mono-focal IOL. My Ophthalmologist said I would be fine with just 1 Multi-focal IOL, and I am.

Shed my glasses years ago and the money I saved from almost annual eye glass purchases, has already paid for the extra $1700 I spent for that type of lens.  3 hour consultation? Yikes! I suppose paying $10,000 for this is how he makes his/her money if the consultation is free, mine was!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I had the cataract removal that insurance paid for, and also had the intraocular lens placement that insurance did not pay for.  My cost was $2,400 per eye.  I only need readers now.  The surgery is a breeze and I rub my eyes now with the implants and have no problems and there are no precautions and no long term restrictions.

I think you should shop around for better prices and a less money grubbing eye doc.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

Thank you for all your replies.  I am very confident that the state of the art practice and facility is a reputable practice with top notch doctors and an excellent reputation.  It is 1400 per eye.  I feel better now that I've read the reviews of people having this surgery. It is not the money as much as having permanent damage to the eye.   Dealing with the eye is so very delicate that I want to make sure I am doing right.  Thank you for responding.