Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cataract Surgery and Implantation of Intraocular Lens

[ Edited ]

I had both my eyes done several months ago and have only the Medicare paid lens implanted (per Ophamalogist recommendation).  I did, however, pay a total of $800 to have a special test done during surgery (to check for macular degeneration and also "tweek" to get optimal lens perfection).  I felt this test was worth it as dear Dad suffered from MD  and had two cornea transplants which both failed!  Cataract surgery has come such a long way (I didn't even need drops post surgery-- they put them in during surgery.  I need reading glasses but decided to get progressives so I could multi task.  Medicare paid for most of cost of first pair post surgery (next pair will be Zenni Optical, which should cost around $100, including frames).

Honored Contributor

@cddh  I just had cataract surgery last January for both eyes. Prior to surgery  I was very near sighted (20/400) with astigmatism.  I wore hard contact lenses since 10th grade....and glasses when the contacts were out. So for over 40 years with the contacts.

I chose the best option for me, the Toric lens.  It gives me 20/20 vision distance. Wonderful!   I do need readers for anything close up.  But, I needed readers anyway after the age of forty, when I had the contacts in.  So I basically see like I did with contacts  correction but without he hassle of putting contacts  in and out.   It was nice to donate my old glasses to a charity that gives them to people in need.  

Yes, you do not want to rub your eyes hard, but I never did that anyway with contacts in....  Medicare covered the surgery and the amount up to the cost for the regular lense. I had pay out of pocket about $1500 per eye for the Toric lens.  It was worth it as a I did not want to depend on glasses  for distance.  

Now I see see the world clearly! And everything is so bright! You will be amazed!

Respected Contributor

@cddh wrote:

Thank you for all your replies.  I am very confident that the state of the art practice and facility is a reputable practice with top notch doctors and an excellent reputation.  It is 1400 per eye.  I feel better now that I've read the reviews of people having this surgery. It is not the money as much as having permanent damage to the eye.   Dealing with the eye is so very delicate that I want to make sure I am doing right.  Thank you for responding.

@cddh

I'm confused.  In your OP you mentioned the surgery cost was $10,000.

The $1400 per eye is close to what my out of pocket expenses were due to astigmatism.

I had to do a schedule of drops in each eye for 5 weeks.  My co-pay for the 3 different drops was under $100.  The office visits, ( 2 for each eye and a final one Tuesday) were included.

I was told not to rub my eyes. (was told in general, we should not be rubbing our eyes)

Good luck.  The ladies here were a great wealth of knowledge and support.  My first day and night (for my first eye) were not great but they assured me things would improve quickly.  By the next day I was fine.

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

@cddh wrote:

Thank you for all your replies.  I am very confident that the state of the art practice and facility is a reputable practice with top notch doctors and an excellent reputation.  It is 1400 per eye.  I feel better now that I've read the reviews of people having this surgery. It is not the money as much as having permanent damage to the eye.   Dealing with the eye is so very delicate that I want to make sure I am doing right.  Thank you for responding.

@cddh

I'm confused.  In your OP you mentioned the surgery cost was $10,000.

The $1400 per eye is close to what my out of pocket expenses were due to astigmatism.

I had to do a schedule of drops in each eye for 5 weeks.  My co-pay for the 3 different drops was under $100.  The office visits, ( 2 for each eye and a final one Tuesday) were included.

I was told not to rub my eyes. (was told in general, we should not be rubbing our eyes)

Good luck.  The ladies here were a great wealth of knowledge and support.  My first day and night (for my first eye) were not great but they assured me things would improve quickly.  By the next day I was fine.

Honored Contributor

My husband opted for laser cataract surgery which Medicare and insurance will not pay for. With everything it cost approx. 6,000 dollars and he wears no glasses and can read the newspaper without reading glasses. There is only one facility and 2 docs who are certified to do the laser surgery in our region. My husbands result was very good and he experiences no glare.

Esteemed Contributor

I had my left eye done in April and my right done in May. I paid about $8000 out of pocket because I had to meet the deductible and since I was so bad (20/1000) I had my astigamatism fixed, multi focal lenses and I chose to have it done by laser vs no laser. Pricy yes, but I don’t need glasses. My glasses could easily run close to $900 every time. Well worth the expense. I don’t think insurance paid much since they consider it cosmetic because they say I could just have the mono focal lenses and still wear glasses. My opinion is if I’m going to do this I want the best I can get. My scans prior to my surgery was 90 minutes and my consult with the doctor was about 15 minutes and my initial eye exam was about an hour. So maybe three hours isn’t to out of line. 

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty  I had a similar experience and agree that the $8K I paid was well worth it as I, too, had horrible vision and astigmatism.  After both eyes were done with the Trifocal lenses in 2012, I've experienced 20/20 vision without any glasses and am thrilled with the result!  The colors are so vivid and sharp!  The procedure for each eye was 7 mins and I had the same post-op drop regimen others have mentioned.  I go for my annual check-up tomorrow.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I had both eyes done over 10 years and it was the best thing I ever did.  Medicare paid for just about all of it.  Just make sure you have a good doctor.

Super Contributor

lulu1 - $10,000 is for both eyes to do complete improvemenmt (cataracts, astigmatism, far and near vision).  I'm 75 so I am o[pting for the $1450 each eye and will possibly need readers.  If I need readers, it is ok with me.  If I were a bit younger, I possibly would have selected the complete package.  Not to derail off subject but we relocated back home and bought a home that seems to constantly need things done.  I'm comfortable with the decision to have my vision improved to no longer need glasses and can live with readers this is the $1450 ea eye selection).  Thank you so much for all the responses.  I was so worried and considered backing out but hearing all the positive reviews about the procedure, I feel much better.  I know I will be a nervous wreck when the time comes but hear the nursing staff in ambulatory is superior.  The doctor has done many of these procedures and comes highly recommended.  Your responses mean so much to calm my apprehension.

Respected Contributor

I will be facing cataract surgery in 2018 or 2019 and reading all these replies has  been somewhat helpful.

I do have one question for all of you:  Will I be able to drive home after the surgery, or do I have to have someone drive me home?