Esteemed Contributor

Cataract Surgery Resources

[ Edited ]

I just had cataract surgery and I am seeing just fine. It took a month from the time I went to be evaluated by the ophthalmologist to the first surgery. The second eye was done 13 days later. 

The doctor gave me a choice of two lens options standard or multifocal.  I paid an out-of-pocket amount for  tri-focal lenses . The doctor selected the brand of lens he implanted . What do I know about lenses?

I got a small plastic bag with my post-op instructions, and a little card with the name of len and on the other side my prescription. I have PanOptix lenses. I can see and am really happy. 

I want to share a few resources from the web. The doctor has a very nice website with everything a patient needs to know about cataract surgery. 

Medicare part B pays for a traditional non laser procedure with a standard IOL, at 80/20 +- a deductible. 

Reviewofophthalmology. Com doctors talk about running a business. I found prices here for  lenses from around the US. 

Medline Plus a site supported by the NIH.

Wikipedia

Medicare.Gov 

Dr's. Shannon Wong and Uday Devgan two eye surgeons with great YouTube channels. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Cataract Surgery Resources

@Nuttmeg   Thanks for the information, especially the You Tube reference.  Congratulations on your new improved vision.

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Nuttmeg   Thanks for the information, especially the You Tube reference.  Congratulations on your new improved vision.

Thank you, I am glad I could share. 

Honored Contributor

I had cataract surgery last year. My 2nd eye was the first one cancelled due to covid in March 2020 so I went months with one good eye and one not so good. I popped the lens out of my glasses so I could see. All in all, I'm glad I had the surgery. It was an easy surgery and took just minutes for each eye. 

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg 

YOU must be seeing quite well because you wrote your posting in font #1 the smallest available!!!!!

Glad you are fine!

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg 

I made the same choice about 10 years ago, and it was worth every penny I paid to get a Multi-focal lens. Left eye first was Multi-focal, and I could read without my trifocals that same day. Right eye Mono-focal which was fully covered.

Only downside I have noticed right now? The Multi-focal has more light reflections when driving at night. The "halo effect".

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@Nuttmeg 

YOU must be seeing quite well because you wrote your posting in font #1 the smallest available!!!!!

Glad you are fine!

Thank you. Before surgery my eyes were a mess. I am seeing great. My right eye is 20/20, and the left is 20/40. My left may improve a little. Whatever happens I am happy.

LOL, I am zooming the text on my tablet, but I can see the small font.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

I just had cataract surgery and I am seeing just fine. It took a month from the time I went to be evaluated by the ophthalmologist to the first surgery. The second eye was done 13 days later. 

The doctor gave me a choice of two lens options standard or multifocal.  I paid an out-of-pocket amount for  tri-focal lenses . The doctor selected the brand of lens he implanted . What do I know about lenses?

I got a small plastic bag with my post-op instructions, and a little card with the name of len and on the other side my prescription. I have PanOptix lenses. I can see and am really happy. 

I want to share a few resources from the web. The doctor has a very nice website with everything a patient needs to know about cataract surgery. 

Medicare part B pays for a traditional non laser procedure with a standard IOL, at 80/20 +- a deductible. 

Reviewofophthalmology. Com doctors talk about running a business. I found prices here for  lenses from around the US. 

Medline Plus a site supported by the NIH.

Wikipedia

Medicare.Gov 

Dr's. Shannon Wong and Uday Devgan two eye surgeons with great YouTube channels. 

@Nuttmeg 

Glad it went well.  My first surgery is next week.