Honored Contributor

Re: Casper mattress [UPDATE]

Scratch everything I said about the Casper bed!!

Upon further research and some misgivings about the "odor" problem, I did more research all day today about foam beds and didn't like what I was reading (they are all pretty much alike, by the way).  There are quite a few chemicals in that foam, including formaldehyde, and if you read about just that one, it's a scary prospect.  It's extremely toxic.  For someone like me who has autoimmune issues, it's the last thing I should be spending half of the rest of my life in close contact with.

Therefore I realized I would not be buying any foam bed.

The research began again from scratch.  I realized I needed as close to an organic and natural bed that I could get for considerably less than $5,000 (believe it or not they go up to $90,000 and more).

I researched Essentia, NaturePedic, Savvy Rest, Saatva, and six more.  They all contain 100% cotton latex made from trees and other natural resources.  The Essentia and the Saatva were the only ones I also saw on Consumer Reports which rated them a little lower than the foam beds in boxes, while still recommending them (the "checkmark"). 

Believe it or not I bought the Saatva at $300 less than the Casper, mostly because their "white glove delivery, setup and removal of the old mattress" was free, and the foundation and box spring were less costly as well.  Also, it's better looking (a minor concern, I know).  Again, I did not get the adjustable base . . . same reason, $1,000 more.  It's under the category of "innerspring," but has many layers within the top mattress and the foundation, including natural latex foam.  No chemicals are used.  It has all kinds of certifications by organic and natural organizations.

Before I could start doubting myself again, I bit the bullet and ordered it.  I have 125 days to return it and they will pick it up.

By the way I picked up a tiny black insect that was crawling across my pillow this afternoon.  It did not fly away as a gnat would.  I held it in a tissue and showed it to my daughter and she could not identify it other than it wasn't a tick.  She thought it was some kind of baby spider or beetle.  That also convinced me that I would have to get a new bed. 

I have to live on a ground floor because I am unable to climb stairs and this is the price I have to pay, I guess (bugs).  But I am looking forward to more room for the many things that I keep on my bed (two baskets full) and hopefully a better state of mind.  If I wind up with less pain . . . that would surely be a bonus!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@LilacTree

There is an organization in our city that drives to one’s place and picks up used mattresses free of charge. 

This group is church-based.

@LTT1  Why would anyone donate  or give away a 20 year old mattress that is giving them bug bites??? You pay someone to haul it to the dump. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

IIRC, the organization sanitizes mattresses before donating.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden

IIRC, the organization sanitizes mattresses before donating.

@LTT1    the mattress is 20 years old... would you want an old worn out mattress?????

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Scratch everything I said about the Casper bed!!

Upon further research and some misgivings about the "odor" problem, I did more research all day today about foam beds and didn't like what I was reading (they are all pretty much alike, by the way).  There are quite a few chemicals in that foam, including formaldehyde, and if you read about just that one, it's a scary prospect.  It's extremely toxic.  For someone like me who has autoimmune issues, it's the last thing I should be spending half of the rest of my life in close contact with.

Therefore I realized I would not be buying any foam bed.

The research began again from scratch.  I realized I needed as close to an organic and natural bed that I could get for considerably less than $5,000 (believe it or not they go up to $90,000 and more).

I researched Essentia, NaturePedic, Savvy Rest, Saatva, and six more.  They all contain 100% cotton latex made from trees and other natural resources.  The Essentia and the Saatva were the only ones I also saw on Consumer Reports which rated them a little lower than the foam beds in boxes, while still recommending them (the "checkmark"). 

Believe it or not I bought the Saatva at $300 less than the Casper, mostly because their "white glove delivery, setup and removal of the old mattress" was free, and the foundation and box spring were less costly as well.  Also, it's better looking (a minor concern, I know).  Again, I did not get the adjustable base . . . same reason, $1,000 more.  It's under the category of "innerspring," but has many layers within the top mattress and the foundation, including natural latex foam.  No chemicals are used.  It has all kinds of certifications by organic and natural organizations.

Before I could start doubting myself again, I bit the bullet and ordered it.  I have 125 days to return it and they will pick it up.

By the way I picked up a tiny black insect that was crawling across my pillow this afternoon.  It did not fly away as a gnat would.  I held it in a tissue and showed it to my daughter and she could not identify it other than it wasn't a tick.  She thought it was some kind of baby spider or beetle.  That also convinced me that I would have to get a new bed. 

I have to live on a ground floor because I am unable to climb stairs and this is the price I have to pay, I guess (bugs).  But I am looking forward to more room for the many things that I keep on my bed (two baskets full) and hopefully a better state of mind.  If I wind up with less pain . . . that would surely be a bonus!!

@LilacTree...if you have bugs on your pillow, I would get rid of them before buying a new mattress. Get the super to find where they are coming from. No one should live this way. Hire an exterminator pronto or tell your management about this. If you don't the new bed will have the same problem. You deserve to live in a healthy, safe environment. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11

True, but therein lies a contradiction.  Chemicals are used in extermination and my daughter won't allow any chemical cleaners or extermination products in the house . . . and I don't like them either.  Management will send only traditional exterminators.  They do extermination processes outside of all the bottom floor apartments regularly here.  We can't control that.

Please don't get the impression that the apartment is filled with bugs, insects, etc.  This is the first bug I actually saw other than gnats.  Additionally, there are other reasons this bed is no longer healthy for me.   I am assuming the bites are coming from somewhere though.

Thank you for your caring post.  We'll get it figured out soon.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11

True, but therein lies a contradiction.  Chemicals are used in extermination and my daughter won't allow any chemical cleaners or extermination products in the house . . . and I don't like them either.  Management will send only traditional exterminators.  They do extermination processes outside of all the bottom floor apartments regularly here.  We can't control that.

Please don't get the impression that the apartment is filled with bugs, insects, etc.  This is the first bug I actually saw other than gnats.  Additionally, there are other reasons this bed is no longer healthy for me.   I am assuming the bites are coming from somewhere though.

Thank you for your caring post.  We'll get it figured out soon.

@LilacTree If you are getting bitten, you owe it to yourself to find out what is biting you. The bugs could be microscopic in size and you cannot see them. At the very least find out what they are. If you are dealing with bed bugs you must get rid of them before the delivery of your new bed. When I was in college the dorm had them on another floor and it was a nightmare because they spread to all 8 floors. 

I really hope you get management to help you with this...

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of solicitation.

QVC Customer Care

New replies have been blocked by QVC because it is a bumped thread.