Trusted Contributor

Care to Share weight loss sugery

I would love to hear personal info,stories,advice...the good,bad and the ugly.

I went to a informational seminar last night and am overwelmed with medical mumbo jumbo. Thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: Care to Share weight loss sugery

I don't have a personal experience with gastric bypass surgery but my sister had it done.  You really have to be prepared for major restrictions.  And, she went through a lot of tests before surgery.  Just make sure your doctor has a lot of experience in this type of surgery.

My sister never ate properly to start off with and that's why she needed the surgery.  She did loose about 100 pounds but she didn't change what she ate, just smaller portions.  She went to plenty of classes/seminars so she knew what was expected.  If you're aren't careful the weight can come back.

The surgery works you just have to be prepared for big changes physically and mentally.

Honored Contributor

A good surgeon will send you to therapy first to see if you can get to the root of why you overeat and solve the problem without surgery. They also prepare you for the surgery emotionally if you are going that route. As an ICU nurse I cared for many patients who had this surgery and those who are properly emotionally prepared do much better post op than those who are not. There is no doubt about it - for this to work requires a huge commitmant by the patient.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope you receive lots of useful feedback from those who have had the surgery.  Though I haven't had it, I've known 8 women and one man who have.  Those that went into it eating mostly junk food, continued to do so after the surgery.  Eventually this practice caught up with them and weight was gained back.  Can't imagine going through that surgery, which is life changing, only going to back to bad eating habits.  The difference being that you eat all that junk 8-10 times a day, instead of what one has been taught.

On a really bad note, one just has to read what hckynutjohn's wife has been going through with intestinal torsion since she had the surgery.  She's had to have additional surgery to correct this painful and very serious condition several times.  And, a friend of mine lost her husband 3 days after his surgery: he experienced a herniation at the surgical site, the surgeon was in denial and the patient passed away.  This particular loss was heartbreaking for my friend because she kept telling her husband, "You only have 45 lbs to lose.  Why are you having such drastic surgery?  You're nuts!"  (My friend is an RN)

Though this may be clinically coincidental, another friend who had the surgery was doing great. Had lost 150 lbs.  Then one day at work she was sitting at her desk and had to perform a simple subtraction problem.  She sat there and sat there, but couldn't remember how to subtract!  She called me that night full of questions.  We talked for over an hour. I advised her to seek a neuro consult.  At that time she had just turned 50.  It took nearly a year and half for a diagnosis, but she received a diagnosis of early onset dementia at the age of 51 and a half.  She told me there was much talk amongst her physicians regarding the weight loss surgery she had had, nothing conclusive, as data is still being gathered.

All the best to you, as you work toward making a decision.

Esteemed Contributor

@spud188 wrote:

I would love to hear personal info,stories,advice...the good,bad and the ugly.

I went to a informational seminar last night and am overwelmed with medical mumbo jumbo. Thanks

My wife had her Roux-En-Y gastric bypass surgery in June of 2008. She has lost more than she now weighs which loss equals about 170lbs.

A friend of mine(female)that works at the hospital where I spend more time than I like, had the same surgery/same doctor in October of 2011. She also weighs less than what she has lost. I think her loss was closer to 200lbs.

My wife is happy an my friend is happy for this tool that helped them reach a weight in which they are comfortable. It is a whole program of exercise and eating, not just the surgery.

For those thinking this surgery is the "end all"?  Forget about having it unless and until you understand it is a "Full Program", not just the the surgical procedure itself.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

This is just a guess, but I believe that UNLESS you are willing to make major lifestyle changes in how you approach food and eating, weight loss surgery can rarely be a long range solution.

I would have been THRILLED to have had the surgery, but I knew myself well enough to admit that unless I addressed my overwhelming food cravings and addiction to sugar, fat, and salt, major surgery couldn't and wouldn't result in a long term difference.

Ultimately, my motivation came from my very strong desire to stay off diabetes and hypertension medicines and be a lively involved grandma.

For me, that was THE MOST powerful motivation EVER, and because of it, I lost 85 pounds of "unhappy fat", and have fairly easily maintained my loss for 1 1/2 years, my longest period of successful maintainance in my life.

I'd still like to lose 10-15 pounds more, and the process is MUCH slower, but I feel much more empowered to do it right.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On a morning walk, I was listening to a health & fitness podcast which normally promoted sensible weight loss & fitness tips.   The host was making a BIG deal about a new procedure that would guarantee weight loss for the morbidly obese.  It was definitely out of normal programming, but I listened.   He touted it as the perfect solution & really sold this as the end-all-be-all of weight loss issues.  

"This new procedure is quick and easy & will provide a life-long solution to weight issues.  The procedure is....

....removing a large side portion of your TONGUE!  After healing, your partial tongue will prohibit you from consuming large amount of food, thus resulting in permanent weight loss."

I stopped in my tracks.  Whaaa?  I've heard of lap bands & other types of baratric surgeries, but this is crazy talk!  I was stunned this procedure is even a thing! 

He paused for dramatic effect......then proceded to say,

"I think I got your attention, yes?   I had the SAME reaction when I heard about baratric surgery many, many years ago.  Who would butcher, manipulate & cut their body just for the sake of losing weight?  Losing weight that can be done naturally in a healthful manner?" 

Wow.  Yes, I agree.  

Surgery is just a quick fix to a permanent problem.   Many people I've worked with have had baratric surgery...even a close friend.  They all have had weight loss...but not without complications.  Some wish they never have had the initial surgery.  Only a couple have made their initial loss permanent...but it took a major lifestyle change.  

I've also known many people who were obese/morbidly obese who didn't have surgery, made the major lifestyle change immediately & maintained a normal BMI for many, many years.  All of these success stories are friends of mine in the whole-food, plant-based world.  And we're talking 50-100+ pounds!   They began eating right & their body rewarded them with instant health & weight loss....but more importantly, it's the same food/lifestyle for weight loss AND maintainance. It's a permanent change.    

How disheartening to have had the surgery only to gain the weight back.  I can't imagine the pain & hopelessness one would feel.  Unless you change the mind, weight loss surgery is just a quick fix.   Please think long & hard about this...there are so many other options. Good luck.  🌼💛

Esteemed Contributor

My heart goes out to all who feel that surgery is their last resort. I have also known people who had the surgery, got skinny, and are now larger than they were before surgery. I completely agree with @sidsmom who wrote about eating a healthy, whole food diet. Our bodies crave good food!

The one piece of the surgery route I have never understood is that everyone I know who had surgery was first told they had to lose 20-30 pounds on their own before being accepted for surgery. They all lost the weight and then had surgery. Why doesn't it become clear that if they could lose 30 pounds without surgery, they don't really need to risk that surgery? Just keep doing what they were doing!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MaggieMack wrote:

My heart goes out to all who feel that surgery is their last resort. I have also known people who had the surgery, got skinny, and are now larger than they were before surgery. I completely agree with @sidsmom who wrote about eating a healthy, whole food diet. Our bodies crave good food!

The one piece of the surgery route I have never understood is that everyone I know who had surgery was first told they had to lose 20-30 pounds on their own before being accepted for surgery. They all lost the weight and then had surgery. Why doesn't it become clear that if they could lose 30 pounds without surgery, they don't really need to risk that surgery? Just keep doing what they were doing!

@MaggieMack

About 10-12 yrs ago, I had a co-worker that was obese, but not quite heavy enough to be clinically 'morbidly obese'.  Her doctor instructed her to..get this..GAIN more weight so insurance could code her BMI as morbid obese & baratric surgery could be done.

Oh. My. God.  Everyone in the office thought that was 'normal.'

I was in the beginning stages of losing 30ish lbs on Dr. McDougall's plan...a low fat plant based diet.  I was setting a good example & in my excitement talked to her about it probably too much, but she didn't want any part of it.  She wanted a quick fix.  It was so sad...she had a few complications from the surgery...but never was the same.  

Here I was in the office eating large amounts of potatoes, salads, fruits...not depriving myself.  She was starving herself after surgery, with medical issues, removed part of her body....but I was the 'weird one' by eating whole, natural, healthy foods.  

Everyone grilling me about 'where I get my protein', 'are you getting enough ___ vitamins' and 'we are meant to eat meat' nonsense....but here was Joy setting next to me, starving herself, hair falling out, miserable, but I had/still do have beautiful skin, vibrating with so much energy, losing weight without loose skin....and everyone was worried about me!  SMH!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom

And the great news is that no matter how beautiful and awesome your physical body exudes radiant health, you FEEL even better! Wonderful story!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop