Trusted Contributor

Re: Care to Share weight loss sugery

Just to clarify a small point. When someone describes themselves as a vegetarian, it's similar to saying, 'I'm religious', or 'I'm a musician'. IOW: There are a lot of variants in each of these categories. Vegetarians can drink soda pop and eat potato chips all day and stll claim to be following a vegetarian diet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lacey1 wrote:

Just to clarify a small point. When someone describes themselves as a vegetarian, it's similar to saying, 'I'm religious', or 'I'm a musician'. IOW: There are a lot of variants in each of these categories. Vegetarians can drink soda pop and eat potato chips all day and stll claim to be following a vegetarian diet.

Very good point!   Another poster commented upthread on being vegetarian & still had heart disease.  Vegetarian still allows milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs...all animal products, high in fat, that still contribute to heart disease/diabetes, etc.  That's why I'm very specific by saying low fat, plant based diet in my dietary posts.

Tying this to the OP, even if this elective surgery is chosen, a low fat, plant based can still have many, many benefits during healing, losing & maintaining. 

ps: @spud188. I love your nic!  Spuds are goods.  Spuds are great!

Respected Contributor

I have 2 friends who had gastric bypass and each lost over 100 pounds and both had skin removal surgery afterwards (tummy tuck) for both.  Both were younger women in their early 30's.  

1 friend who had the lap-band surgery but struggled with losing the weight - she lost a little and then gained it all back - complained about endless fills - complained about food always getting stuck and getting sick alot.  Last time I ran into her she was contemplating getting it removed.

Another person I slightly know had the gastric sleeve procedure and she lost a lot of weight too.  

In all 4 cases these ladies were at least 100 to 150 pounds overweight and had tried every diet imaginable.  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lacey1 wrote:

Very good point!   Another poster commented upthread on being vegetarian & still had heart disease.  Vegetarian still allows milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs...all animal products, high in fat, that still contribute to heart disease/diabetes, etc.  That's why I'm very specific by saying low fat, plant based diet in my dietary posts.

Tying this to the OP, even if this elective surgery is chosen, a low fat, plant based can still have many, many benefits during healing, losing & maintaining. 

ps: @spud188. I love your nic!  Spuds are goods.  Spuds are great!

But I don't believe that you have access to any statistics that indicate 100% success, ie, NO heart disease, NO hypertension, NO Type 2 diabetes in a population doing a low fat plant based regime EXCEPT from the medical people who advocate that type of system.

I know of the Loma Linda studies and so forth, and fact is, I AGREE WITH YOU about the value of adding a rainbow of veggies and have been pleased with my results while doing so, but the potato chomping thing is JUST NOT FOR ME.

My balance is low-moderate protein, from plant AND small amounts from animal  sources, NO refined foods, no added sugar or salt, tightly li ited dairy and no grain.

IT WORKS FOR ME.