Honored Contributor

Re: Cardiac Catheterization…anyone familiar with it?

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

All of these posts have been so helpful!  I'm a worrywort over everything, lol.

@chrystaltree, I know you have had atrial fibrillation....did you have this cardiac catheterization as well?

No, I haven't had a cardiac cath procedure. My echocardiogram is scheduled for the middle of this month and my Cardiologist said I need a cardioversion procedure to reset my heart rhythm.  There is a cardiac catheterization procedure they can do for Afib but fingers crossed that won't be necessary.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree ...oh my!  Good luck!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

cardiac caths are being used as the first line procedure to both diagnose and treat blockages. they are pretty standard now and the best medical invention of the times. (IMO)

it really is an outpatient procedure, just like knee replacement, gall bladder excision, childbirth, etc. studies have shown that patients do better at home when recovering from such procedures if for no other reason than infection control.

dee 

Honored Contributor

Oh, Lord.  @deedledeedeedle, my orthopedic doctor told me last week that when I was finished getting my husband settled, I should get my knee replacement done.  I asked how long I would be in the hospital and he said probably just overnight.  I can't come home that quickly.  I won't be able to get to therapy on my own.  Anyway, that's a story left for the future, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

My Cardiologist, depending on other conditions of his patient, does this!  If other tests show the chances of major blockages are high! He has his patient sign a consent form, prior to the Heart Catheterization Procedure that allows him to do a Stent Angioplasty, if it shows certain areas of, or amounts of  Artery Blockages.

This eliminates the possible necessity of doing a future Stent Angioplasty, which once again, adds to another risk factor.

Anyone that might be in line for a future Heart Catheterization might talk to their Cardiologist about this prior to it being scheduled.

Thought I would add this information of how my Cardiologist does this, in certain instances, with some of his patients.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Just to add to the conversation @Mmsfoxxie . Stents are only placed if the blockage is causing symptoms and is at least 70%. Drug therapy and lifestyle changes are often used for smaller blockages. 

I have five stents and a balloon in my left anterior descending artery due to two heart attacks. The angioplasty procedures, I even went home the same day.

Good luck to your husband and please don't worry. Cardiac procedures have greatly improved over the years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my, @Trinity11.  You've been through a lot!  And thank you!  I hope you continue to be in a good health and harmony.  This and other posts remind me that we don't know what another poster has gone or is going through.