Honored Contributor

Re: Cardiac Catheterization…anyone familiar with it?

All of these posts have been so helpful!  I'm a worrywort over everything, lol.

@chrystaltree, I know you have had atrial fibrillation....did you have this cardiac catheterization as well?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie 

I suggest you start accompanying your husband to the doctor with this health situation.  2 sets of ears are better than one, and a lot of information will be thrown out at once, which your husband may not catch or retain.  Been there done that, and no longer let my husband see any doctor alone; he just can't catch everything that is said.  

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop that is great advice!

Trusted Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie @I'm a worrywort too, of the first order.

Think how relieved you'll feel when it's over!

I'll keep you and your husband in my thoughts. Hope it all goes well, and I bet it will.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop, you're right.  I used to go and he would say I interjected too much....he tends to not answer doctor questions truthfully such as how much cigar smoking he does, how much pop he drinks, how much desserts, etc.  He telling what he considers the truth.  Then there is my motion sickness when he drives.  The place is the VA hospital, three expressways away.  Big trucks merging.  But I'm gonna have to take my Dramamine, bite the bullet and go.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie 

Having had 2 heart attacks, I have had several Heart Caths. They are done regularly, but that does not mean they are not a serious procedure. In fact, I might just have another one coming up in a few weeks myself. Depends on my next Cardiologist visit on the 23rd of this month.

Even though they have to be considered a serious invasive procedure, there are very few serious problems for the majority of those having them done. 

I had one of the many where it caused a major problem. Even though it took a long time to recover from it, I came out just fine. Depending on the patient, all Heart Caths are not done as an outpatient. Mine are done as inpatient because of my CAD status, and the issue I had with 1 of the many. 

Be concerned, but understand, while they are considered serious, they do not fall in the high risk category. These procedures many times prevent heart attacks. And regardless of how soon one gets help for a heart attack, heart muscle is damaged, and it never rejuvenates itself.

Hope all goes well for your Hubby.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @hckynutjohn.  I know from reading your posts that you've gone through a lot.  I might have more concern than my husband.  He just wants to get back to feeling normal with the energy he had a year or so ago.  Right now, he avoids stairs because they are tiring.  He has to turn directions slowly when walking.  He hates it.  Getting older has its disadvantages, lol. He's 75.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie 

From what you describe this Heart Cath could very well show his problem. Not knowing what some of his other blood readings etc., from my own experiences I know their could be other reasons for his present fatigue.

If he has been an active person when it comes to being 75, age alone doesn't mean a thing, in my world anyway. Should he be one that has always been highly energetic most of his life, then something like this hits? It effects these types of individuals much differently than the more sedentary.

My very first serious issue with the onset of always being worn out, and from doing very little physically, for me!  It ended up being Pulmonary Embolism(PE)(Lung Blood Clots), that was my issue. Fortunately my Spinal Ortho Doctor friend, got me in to see a great Pulmonologist, that immediately found the source.

I had been seeing another Pulmonologist, but the tests he had me doing, were not the ones that are done to locate PE. He had me going to Sleep Studies and other tests that showed nothing. The most I got out of him was, you have to go to the Mayo Clinic.

Anyways, this new Pulmonologist, ran 1 test and I went right into the hospital, from his officet, to that test. I spent 9 days on an IV Heparin Drip to get my INR/ProTime readings into a safe range. At that point I went on Coumadin blood thinner, and my energy level over time returned to what I was accustomed.

I am telling you this because overall fatigue is not always a Cardiac issue. Mine was related to the PE, and also later to my very low Hemoglobin readings, which put me into being an Anemic Classification. My 1st heart attack came a year later than these issues.

In my 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes I met many that were fortunate to find out, via Heart Cath, their Major Heart artery(s) were their problem. They were fortunate because they had not suffered a heart attack, thus not losing part of their heart muscle.

This is a topic where I could go non-stop. I will leave it here. If you think there is anything else, that I might know, that can help you, just let me know.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @hckynutjohn .  I'll do that.

Trusted Contributor

definitely a great idea to go to doctor appointments.  Also...in between appointments...write down any questions you might have for the doctors...that way you

will have them when you go to the appt.  I would do that in case I would forget my questions...which would always happen.