Occasional Contributor

Re: Cardiac Catherization…anyone familiar with it?

I felt fine.  Since they did it thru my wrist, they told you not to lift anything and let it heal. After 5 days the bandage came off and it scabbed.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cardiac Catheterization…anyone familiar with it?

[ Edited ]

My mother just had one a couple weeks ago.  She had to stop eating after midnight due to the anethesia and they put her in the twilight sleep, so she didn't feel anything but could see what they were doing on the screen.

She said it was easy and she was fine by the next day.  She was tired from the long day and the anesthetic, plus they had to go in through groin and she had to keep an eye out for bleeding.  

Edited to add:  The Cardiologist said that if they had found anything that required stents, she would have had to stay overnight at the hospital.

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Hubby is having this procedure in a couple of weeks.  I haven't read that it's a serious procedure but anything dealing with the heart is of concern.  Most articles make sure they mention that it's a regularly done, outpatient procedure to determine how to proceed with care moving forward.

Ive had it, also had a stent put in a couple years ago. The worst pain you get is when it's over and they put pressure on the opening to clot the bleeding. Absolutely nothing to it. You don't feel pain inside your arteries. The most discomfort you will have periods of being hot, but that just lasts a few seconds. Don't worry, youll have more pain gettin a flu shot.

Trusted Contributor

hi....I was just a little tired from the meds, but felt fine.  And just some bruiseing in the groin area.  But I bruise easily.  Plus I had been on aspirin.  His doctor will go over what medications to continue and if any to stop.  Also when to stop eating before procedure. 

I know it sounds like a scary procedure... it really went fine.  And because of the medications they gave me...I nodded of for most all of it, 

Trusted Contributor

It is probably more scary for family...they are in waiting room....waiting for results.  Which hopefully everything will turn out just fine.

Respected Contributor

I had this procedure several years ago.....checked in about 5:30 AM... procedure was done around 8 AM... discharged that afternoon around 2PM.  Felt perfectly fine ... returned to see my cardiologist 2 weeks later... There was really no discomfort... 

Esteemed Contributor

My brother in law had it. He has had heart issues for as long as I've known him. He was in the hospital for two days, and he did very well.

Honored Contributor

DH was the first one here to have this procedure done when he was only 34 years old!

The head of the Cardiology group called in his doctors and showed them how to do it.

He had a vein that was 95% blocked.

I was shocked.  He was slightly light weight for his height.

With the right meds, he has been great!

Honored Contributor

It's called outpatient but most patients remain under observation for up to 23 hours after the procedure.  It can be done to diagnose a heart condition or to repair a heart condition.  A very thin catheter is inserted into a leg or arm  and guided through a blood vessel into the heart.  Doctors can view the vessels, chambers, muscles in the heart.  

Honored Contributor

My husband has had 3; all were done before 2000 and the catheter was threaded thru the groin.  He always had a lot of bruising and had to take it easy for several days afterwards.  

My brother had a cath procedure a few years ago and it was done thru the wrist.   SIL had the procedure done last week with access thru her groin.