Honored Contributor

Re: Car sickness in kids

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 , I'm sure you aren't mean so I hope you didn't let her know you thought she wasn't telling the truth.  I've had motion sickness all of my life.  As a kid, my country parents didn't know what to do or the cause of it.  The few times that we went somewhere, us kids sat in the back......worse place, lol.

I found out about Dramamine from a stewardess back in 1972 when I took my first plane ride.  Within half an hour of the plane being airborne, I had my face in a plastic bag she gave me, throwing up....four hour flight.

I once told a coworker about my motion sickness and she waved her hand at me and said, " that's all in your mind". I saw red!  Then I had to school her that it's usually an inner ear condition controlling your balance.

The patch is good for long trips but I get a rash from it and the itching is horrible for days, even after taking it off.

Didn't mean to write so much but, trust me, your friend not was lying.  My sisters have different degrees of it, too.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

That's between her and her father (?) and you need to stay out of it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Car sickness in kids

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 

I have not read any replies, but wanted to tell you I got terribly car sick as a child and, at 71, I can still get that way if not careful.  My sis was the same way.

We never sit in the back seat.  Even when driving I've gotten sick if it is too long!

In fact, I get motion sick doing yoga, if you can believe that. The first time it happened I thought it was just an oddity, but every time I tried doing moves, it started up. 

While I never got air sick, I did get car and seasick and always have to be careful of my head and neck movement.  

I've tried Dramamine and wrist bands with some success, but they don't work for everyone.

It's a real thing and makes you miserable.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman , I'm the same way with yoga!  In my twenties, I took some classes in yoga and it didn't bother me.  But when I joined my fitness center a few years ago, I tried about three times and got nauseous  everytime.    My orthopedic doctor told me to do water aerobics....I got sick.  The motion and feel of the water does something to my balance center.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Regular Contributor

It is not bogus. It's very real. I battled it as a young child and still at  73!! Everyone that mentioned sitting in the front seat are correct. It's about the balance center in the brain and the sensors in our middle ear, limbs and eyes. When we travel we make a motion without our bodies actually moving. This creates conflict among the sources of information. Avoid reading in a car. Do not sit facing backward on a bus on train. Always sit in the direction that the vehicle is moving. Do not eat very much before and during travel. Make sure there is a fresh air so you do not feel suffocated. Motion sickness medications do work but may cause drowsy-ness. Take at least 30 minutes before traveling. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie 

I'm sure water aerobics would make me sick as I got queasy sitting on a floating dock having drinks.  After a few minutes, I knew I had to move or....

I don't think it is anything you grow out of.  

Respected Contributor

What an awful ordeal! I would never want you read that book again....or travel that way! 

Respected Contributor

Wow..what a hateful response. No need for that. Not even worth any other response to you. 

Respected Contributor

Since her kids are so small, they can't all ride in the front seat..and it is against the law if they aren't in car seats. They have taken a few car trips with us and everyone seemed fine...no tummy trouble complaints or problems at all. I have never heard of everyone getting sick for the first time all at once. I will suggest ginger ale and crackers and see if that would help. 
I certainly know motion sickness is a real thing...I have seasickness and it is awful to feel that way; didn't mean to imply that it doesn't exist.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will certainly pass them along to SIL and she can suggest them or not to her DD.

Honored Contributor

NO you do not grow out of it.  I have been carsick off and on since childhood.  Just one "throw up" in the back seat will convince the "it's all in your head" folks that it's real.  My folks would get me some 7-up to sip when we went somewhere.  It worked for me!  Old fashioned 7-up was a God send for me.

And to this day if I'm in the back seat I can count on it.  I remember when I was in my early 20's I was wearing a suede cape (I loved that thing) but it had a strong leather smell.  I got so sick on that ride that I was never able to wear the cape again, the smell made me re-live how sick I was during that ride.

I've never been able to tolerate Amusement Rides either  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*