Respected Contributor

Yes it is real and some of us never out grow it.  I can NOT ever sit in the back seat of a car....I know better.  2 of my sons are the same way and I have told them to DRIVE themselves where ever they need to go....riding with others will make them sick quickly.  

Boats...buses...trains (only facing in the direction we are going is ok) planes....heck just looking at something moving to much does it to me.  Reading a book IMPOSSIBLE...makes me so ill....look straight ahead.  There are TV shows I can't watch because the camera people constantly zoom in and back and side to side quickly.  My husband isn't like this but even he can't stand those shows because of that LOL!  

I have taken every otc medication and it just knocks you out like a zombie and you need to pee constantly.  I have prescription meds for my vertigo (have this also) does the same thing but sometimes you just want the nausea to stop with the spinning!  

When I was young (6 kids) I was sick like that all the time...I barfed on the side of the road many times.  My Dad had to pull over many times just to get us to a relatives house or on a supposed vacation.  It was torture for me to ride the school bus...I was ill for hours daily.  I hated field trips due to the bus rides.  Forget rides at amusement parks!  

So believe your niece and have some empathy....not everyone is like you and suffers with this kind of thing terribly.  I hope those kids do out grow it.  Truly awful to have it all your life.  

Honored Contributor

I would ask the pediatrician.

Not sure if it's allowed in young children but Phenergan may help.  I have always had a tendency to gag & barf, even pass out.  When I was little, I blamed it on 2 things.    1. my mom smoked in the car, this was the 50s and 2. internal exhaust, cars today are so much "cleaner" but I'm sure there are other triggers today.

Respected Contributor

It just seems odd that all of the kids would begin carsickness at the same exact time.

Respected Contributor

I am very sympathetic to anyone who has to deal with motion sickness. I was miserable for days on a cruise we took years ago. Nothing seemed to help. Only seasickness....cars and planes no problem. I was in a position to take cruises for free but never took another one due to the motion sickness.

Respected Contributor

Re: Car sickness in kids

[ Edited ]

I have car sickness unless I ride in the front seat. I cannot look at my phone or try to read while the car is moving. I usually drive which helps. Riding on a chartered bus is the worst. I have to be in the front seat behind the driver. Those buses float instead of bouncing. That swaying really takes me down.

Anyone trying to travel with 4 small children who get car sick has my sympathy. There is no way 5 people can be in the front seat. Little ones are supposed to be in the back for safety. I would never want little ones traveling to see me who had to get sick to be there. The earlier poster had an excellent idea that the grandparents should go to them.

Valued Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

Yes it is real and some of us never out grow it.  I can NOT ever sit in the back seat of a car....I know better.  2 of my sons are the same way and I have told them to DRIVE themselves where ever they need to go....riding with others will make them sick quickly.  

Boats...buses...trains (only facing in the direction we are going is ok) planes....heck just looking at something moving to much does it to me.  Reading a book IMPOSSIBLE...makes me so ill....look straight ahead.  There are TV shows I can't watch because the camera people constantly zoom in and back and side to side quickly.  My husband isn't like this but even he can't stand those shows because of that LOL!  

I have taken every otc medication and it just knocks you out like a zombie and you need to pee constantly.  I have prescription meds for my vertigo (have this also) does the same thing but sometimes you just want the nausea to stop with the spinning!  

When I was young (6 kids) I was sick like that all the time...I barfed on the side of the road many times.  My Dad had to pull over many times just to get us to a relatives house or on a supposed vacation.  It was torture for me to ride the school bus...I was ill for hours daily.  I hated field trips due to the bus rides.  Forget rides at amusement parks!  

So believe your niece and have some empathy....not everyone is like you and suffers with this kind of thing terribly.  I hope those kids do out grow it.  Truly awful to have it all your life.  

I found that Bonnine(OTC)..helps me..I still can't ride in the back seat or not facing forward.

As a kid before Bonnine..I would get sick in anything that moved.

It still happens.

As a kid I once got sick out the car window and the acid took the paint of my Uncle's new car..He couldn't pull over.

I was sick on an 11 hour cruise on my honeymoon..I was messed up for 3 days after..A waste of 3 days of 28 days in Europe!

My grandson got car sick until he was able to be in a front facing car seat!!..The Dr. said for him to have BABY Beneydryl..that seemed to help some. The new baby is having the same problem..in the rear facing car seat.

We never go anywhere without a roll of paper towel,baby wipes and plastic bags.

Valued Contributor

. I got carsick as a child ( still do , every now and then . It’s a very real thing . Could never ride in the backseat . My three siblings never argued as to who got a window ! 

As an adult , if I eat her drive or ride in the front seat I’m ok . Again , no one argues with me . Some people don’t understand that this is a real thing . Sorry folks , it’s real .  Now there are different products out there you can take . 

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

My niece has just cancelled her trip to see my brother.and SIL because she said all four of her kids, ages 3-9, get carsick. This is a new thing and I think it's bogus, but what are some treatments for carsickness? She says Dramamine and the wrist bands don't do anything to help. 

As a child, I threw up every sunday going to church. I don't remember at what age I stopped this. it is the same as motion sickness and it's awful. No this isn't bogus at all. Back then 88 years ago, they either didn't have anything for it, or my Mother never knew there was.back then, things were excepted as "whatever". Remember we didn't have television to scream products at you every 10 minutes. Being the youngest of 8 children, we probably wouldn't have had the money .

Respected Contributor

Re: Car sickness in kids

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 wrote:

It just seems odd that all of the kids would begin carsickness at the same exact time.

It seems odder that you think this is your call.

We get it -- you don't believe your niece.  That's your call.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who is now around 70, and she has always had to sit in the front seat of a car for all the years I've known her.  Maybe by now she's outgrown the car sickness, but she's not taking any chances.