Honored Contributor

@Finnie---Welcome finnie---and a big hurray that you are getting past this cancer zombie invasion that we have/ are going thru. May you have MANY years of being a survivor and a thriver----

I'm Pam--was dx in 2012 with stage 3 breast cancer, am 64 now---had the surgeries, chemo and rads and also the numbness in my fingers/ feet as well as other little annoying things that still pop up. My feet are much better but my fingers are not ---still the same but not worse. My onc said that if in 12-18 months , if  the numbness is still there , it will always be a thing---- mine is a thing.

You are absolutely right about not waiting to see a doctor if something is off with your body---many people don't do that and some are lucky; others are not. I choose to be very pro-active. We all here, on this remarkable board, still have good days and bad days----you are normal about that. 

So glad you are here to see your son get married and to enjoy your grands------just remember to be good to yourself and go one day at a time. And please come back often---we can help with anything you can throw at us--we are a tough bunch of gals; have been thru the wringer many times but are sympathetic and will help however we can.

pam 

Honored Contributor

OMGx2---what an adorable little guy you have and he looks like he'd be large and in charge --those little dogs are smart. I  am a cat person--I like dogs but prob won't ever be an owner of one. After all, I am head of staff to my stripey cat--you know the old sayiing------dogs have owners, cats have staff.......

Please post more  of that sweet guy!!!!

Honored Contributor

@GCR18----I am jealous of the new kitchens being done too---but will prob not get one unless there is alot of $$ left over from getting the upstairs done. I will, however, get 2 new bathrooms done----that will be great, but my old 33 year kitchen is in sore need of a re do----and kitchen and bathrooms sell houses, I'm told.  But I have been looking online at the hard surfaces for bathrooms--going for the the most bang for the buck as this house is nothing fancy or even close to that--will be a good starter house but never a mansion. Don't want to over improve. Got 2 more contractors coming this week---one tomorrow and one Tuesday--not sure how many I will find---we both liked the very first contrator that came over-------it's a process!!!

Honored Contributor

@Finnie howdy.  3 year endometrial cancer survivor.  I was so excited to have my port removed.  It was weird for a while, as I felt something there even though nothing was there.  The area hurt for a good while after, but not painful.  It eventually went away.

Have neuropathy in both feet.  I feel it most in the ball of my foot.  I always know it's there.  It doesn't hurt, just annoying. LOL.  Have been told it's not going anywhere.

Lasting effects are the get up and go. I feel like I only recharge to 85% percent.  It's rare to feel fully recharged.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

Pam, go to a granite dealer.  I know people that have bought rements from big jobs at good prices.

Respected Contributor

Finnie welcome to the group. Sounds like you had a whipple which is a very long and tedious procedure. Pat yourself on the back. Sounds like you came through it with flying colors. The rest of it. Well you can say we all know what you are feeling. We can't take away your fear but we are good listeners.

I am Jackie the resident retired ER nurse. Diagnosed with BC in 2011. Stage 2B. Surgery, chemo and radiation. 5 years on femara. My neuropathy isn't too bad. Feet do get numb at times. I just live with it. The others on the board have some good ideas for some relief.

Pam I would say go with your gut feeling on the contractor. Something is telling you that #1 may be the best choice.

GC our storm was a bust. Just rain.

Doing laundry

Respected Contributor

@Finnie  Hi Finnie, maestra here-retired History teacher and b/c survivor-stage 1 grade 2. Just surgery and radiation, no chemo. Was lucky. Glad you are here!

Pam, be glad you're getting bathrooms, they sell houses also; walk in showers are BIG!

We have a jacuzzi that we dont use and I want to get rid of. That will take another storm and insurance.

Respected Contributor

Mia - my cat licks plastic bags, it drives me crazy!  I guess this is not unusual behavior for cats though.  I thought she was maybe deficient in something.

We are having near zero temps here, but not much snow.  Below zero wind chills, so it is officially cold, brrr!  I'm like you, don't drive in it anymore, so glad I am retired.  Sometimes that was the worst thing about working, the driving back and forth to work in bad weather.  Night driving is getting impossible too.  I am becoming such a home body it isn't even funny. Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

Welcome Finnie!  You've went through a lot.  I think we are all grateful to be alive and appreciate life in a more meaningful way now.  Glad you are around for your family's happenings.

I was blindsided by my diagnosis of breast cancer, triple negative, Stage 2, grade 3, and it had spread to my lymph nodes.  Had lots of complications and a hard time with all the chemo.  You learn to be strong pretty fast on this journey.

I am also diabetic and have neuropathy in my toes and it is getting worse.  You learn to deal with things and like you said, try and get past them.

Hope to see more of your posts!

Lannie

Honored Contributor

Lion, I hate to tell you this....The weatherman says we're getting snow tomorrow into wednesday.  3 - 7 inches.  Starting midafternoon.  I think it is going to happen.  Yes, it sure was cold today.  My car said -3 on the way to work.  It's going down to -20 this weekend.  My mother said it was 1 in CT, so Jackie is probably freezing her toes off.