Valued Contributor

Hey Goldie!  Glad to see you posting and that you are well.  Funny you mentioned that DNA testing as I was just thinking about doing the Ancestry.com one.  My  neighbor's sister got the same result that you got.  You did it, Jackie did it and now I really want to do it too.  How long does it take to get the results?  I haven't gone to the web site....have just seen the ads on T.V.    

Jackie.....yours is interesting.....as far as religions go,  along with being Jewish, you could also be a tad Irish Catholic, a tad British Anglican and  a tad Mideastern Muslim....what a mix....you are a United Nations all in one.....Smiley LOL

I'm thinking I would just be a plain old mongrel.  I really want to know though.  I am curious for sure.

Has anyone else done it?

Respected Contributor

Bow, try to get it when it goes on sale. I only paid 79 for the test. It' usually 99. It takes a good 6 weeks before you get the results. I'm part middle Eastern because I come from one of the tribes of Israel. Oh it ususally goes on sale around a major holiday. Who knows they may have an Easter special.

Valued Contributor

I have a question.  I just went and looked at both ancestry dna sites....is one supposed to be better than the other???  

Jackie and Goldie.....did your test results lead you to other unknown relatives???

Valued Contributor

@JackieHN wrote:

Bow, try to get it when it goes on sale. I only paid 79 for the test. It' usually 99. It takes a good 6 weeks before you get the results. I'm part middle Eastern because I come from one of the tribes of Israel. Oh it ususally goes on sale around a major holiday. Who knows they may have an Easter special.

Thanks, Jackie!  I will keep checking then.

I didn't think about the MidEast being Jewish....dumb me.  One of the tribes of Israel.....wow!....wouldn't it be cool to know which one!  Was both your mother and father Jewish?

Respected Contributor

the one on ancestry.com just does the DNA testing to see your heritage. There are other sites that can do medical DNA but I heard those tests are very vague wth the results. 

Both of my parents, grandparents, great grandparents were all Jewish. No one strayed from the faith. I was really hoping to have a more exotic backround. I don't know what tribe I came from. That information they don't give you. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks, Jackie!  I am full of curiosity.  I will let you know my results when I do test and receive them.  For now, I will watch for sale.

Respected Contributor

DH had pacemaker wound follow-up today after a bad night-discomfort, anxiety. He gets into his head and cant turn it off. I slept like a log, thank you!

He can expect to have twinges, sore muscles, and 'feeling' the adjustments the pacemaker makes as it does its job-all normal. Pain-he takes nitro and we call 911 if severe. He is napping now and trying to meditate daily; it's become unseemingly quiet. We enjoyed a wonderful lunch together today and DH even complimented my driving-wow!

Sadly, my own brother has just been diagnosed w/early stage prostate cancer. I don't have any further info yet. He is traveling to see friends. I offered what consolation I could and asked him to keep me in the loop if he felt comfortable.

My brother is a very low key person and very private, even w/family members. He is a very old soul.

Honored Contributor

Mae--- husbands are such big babies!!!!!! You should see if there is a class or something to address what he is going thru. It's an adjustment for sure and I understand his fear. As far as your brother---anytime there is the word early in front of any cancer is a bonus; of course the word NO in front of cancer is the best!!  And again----- men !!!!!!!?????

Honored Contributor

Maestra, DH is scared.  He needs to come to terms with the pace maker and how it feels.  Maybe the hospital has a pace maker support group.  Kinda like what Pam said.  Sorry to hear about your brother.  Sibling health issues are tough.

Sister is still in hospital.  Social worker said she'd at least be there until Friday.  Apparently when you try to hurt others and yourself while in a nursing home, the state gets involved.  I didn't totally understand why.  Social worker said the state has to send someone to the hospital to evaluate sister and determine if she is stable enough to go back to the nursing home.  I need to ask some more questions.

Didn't talk to the Dr.  He only talks to families from 830-915.  I couldn't fit his window.  I am scheduled in that window Thursday.  I hope he has a lot to say!!

Saw the rheumatologist today.  My toe was a reddish purple today.  He said I need more pills.  He increased my prescription.  He also sent me for four blood tests.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

Mae, so sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis, but glad it is "early".  In the world of ca that's a good word to hear.  Hope he keeps you in the loop because I know you can be an encouragement and support to him.

GC, why more pills for your toes??  Was your blood work not progressing like they expected?  Anyone in your family prone to blood clots?  Do they recommend getting up and walking around every hour or two?  That's what they told me to do when I had some superficial blood clots in my leg years ago. I still try to follow that advice.  But wait you are seeing a rheumatologist - what is your diagnosis with him?  They don't treat blood clots.  I'm getting confused, lol!!!  Just take care of yourself and do what the dr says, whatever specialty he is!  What sort of blood tests did he do this time?  At least you will know if you do or don't have certain illnesses.  And tell that toe to perk up and get back to pink, not purple or red!!

My ancestry is German, Prussian.  My results would probably be pretty boring!