Respected Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

Can't sleep, thinking about someone I just lost to this relentless disease.

He and I were "chemo buddies" - unknown to each other we had our treatments at the same hospital and one day we were both there at the same time and so surprised but happy to see and be with each other at that point in our journeys.  We knew each other for many years, he was a member of my congregation.  He was 4 years older than I am.

He had multiple myeloma and almost died a couple times.  He was such a fighter but would always be so encouraging to me, saying what a faithful example I was.  He was really the faithful example.  He would give me a card once in while, as he did for others, with encouraging and comforting scriptures quoted.

I will miss him, as will many others.  I went to see him at the hospital a couple times and he couldn't speak, but would nod his head or move his hand in response to what I was saying to him.

His funeral is next week and I want to get a picture made from my phone of he and I sitting together, all hooked up to our chemo, holding hands.......he with his mask on and me totally bald, but both of us with the biggest smiles on our faces, and put it by other pictures that will be there.  He is my hero and my heart is sad in losing him. Heart

Regular Contributor

Her Royal Lioness - I'm so sorry that your dear Chemo Buddy has passed on. He was a gallant fighter and a loving friend. Your loss is on so many levels. You helped each other through extraordinary situations. You were War Buddies and faced the horrendous battles cancer inflicts together. I went through surgery, chemo and radiation for bc, so I understand those challenges. I didn't have a chemo buddy to help me through, but I wish I did. I lost my lifelong best friend to amyloidosis, so I have felt the terrible pain of losing a beloved friend. It is very hard to lose a friend. He may be gone from your plane of existence now, but his spirit will always be with you. Keep his memory with you and use it to help you continue your fight. 

Honored Contributor

Lannie---I am so sorry about your chemo buddy! I think getting a picture made up is a great idea, maybe his family would like to see it too. So glad you were able to see him recently.

My youngest brother had a childhood friend that went thru a horrible few months of stomach cancer when I was going thru my "adventure". He died of it and that about tore me apart. Of course I knew him too. He was sick for about 3 months and was only 50 with 3 or 4 daughters and a couple grands too. Just got married and moved into a new house. How did I escape that awful end and he didn't/couldn't. Still makes me sad.

Valued Contributor

Lannie, I'm so sorry about your friend. A chemo buddy is a very special bond. You really know each other's pain. I don't understand, some of us are left to fight and some are taken. Maybe someday we will all understand some of these mysteries. 

Well ladies, I've not reported about this but the details are coming together. I have an appointment for an evaluation at cancer treatment centers of America. I've given permission for all my medical records to be released and everything is in the works. I'll be seeing the dr July 14. So as always, I need prayers that this is the right road for me. At this point, I feel it is. 

Everyone hang tough and Fight Like A Girl

goldie

Respected Contributor

Aviatrix - thank you for your comforting words and understanding what this is like.  I'm sorry you had to go through what you did with bc and that you didn't have a chemo buddy.  I hope you are doing ok now.

I had to look up amyloidosis, it sounds awful and I feel for you having lost your friend to it.  You're right, it's a war and helps to have someone by your side to go through it.  I used this board a lot when I was going through all my treatments and I got so much help and encouragement and still do.

Yes, his memory still inspires me and always will. No one really knows what it is like unless you have traveled the journey and gone down that road that took all the courage you could muster and then some to get through it.

Lannie

Honored Contributor

Goldie, that's great news.  Is the center far from where you live?  I see commercials for them all the time.  No idea where they are located though.

🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐤🐤🐔🐤🐔🐣🐔🐤🐔🐣🐣🐔🐔🐔🐔🐤🐔🐔

Had the port out today.  The area is a little sore.  I'll be chillin through the weekend.  I don't remember having a list of restrictions when it was put in.  My ride was late.  She forgot she was picking me up.  I'm just glad it's over.

Lannie, my BFF passed from multiple myeloma a year and a half ago.  Her husband is taking part of her ashes and spreading them this weekend.  Her birthday is on Sunday.  I thought she would have been 59, but it's 60.  She will always be my inspiration.  She fought for 5 1/2 years all while going through dialysis.  By the time the cancer was discovered, her kidneys were barely functioning.  I feel bad that there was so much I didn't understand or even know about.  

Respected Contributor

Goldie - that is going to be the perfect place for you!  I've heard such good things about it and it sounds like they always give hope and the best treatment they can and don't just give up on you.  You deserve the best and I have high hopes and am excited for you!

It's hard to lose someone you've fought the fight with, so thank you for your kind words. Heart

Lannie

Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh, GCR, I thought you were getting it out on July1st??!!!  I must be losing more of my mind than I thought.  I know it went back and forth for a while.

I had mine out in the office and that next day it really did hurt, but after that, it calmed down.  It took them longer than I thought it would to get that out.  I was glad to part ways with it.

I remember you saying that's what your friend had.  It is so sad to lose a friend to cancer, especially when you see the courage and the fight they have put up. It helps me to cherish every day I have, especially when I start feeling sorry for myself. 

Lannie

Respected Contributor

pam - I had the picture made today, only ones who have went through chemo could love it - we really were a pair!  He has one brother and two sisters, but they are elderly also.  I just wanted our picture to be there - I even put a caption on it "Chemo Buddies".  Kind of a personal thing.

What an injustice for your brother's friend.  Cancer doesn't discriminate, so unfair.  I hate it so much.  As you often do, I need to go pet a cat.........

Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness - I'm so sorry you lost your "chemo buddy".  You were there for each other when you both needed it most.  

I remember my dear cousin who passed away a year ago in January.  He lived 2 1/2 years with Stage 4 Esophageal Cancer.  He would visit with others in the chemo room when he was having chemo.  He could tell the best jokes (I can never remember how to tell jokes).  He'd have the patients and the nurses laughing.  He also visited patients who were hospitalized for the same cancer he had.  He would give them encouragement, even when he knew he himself only had a short time to live.  (I wish I could be as brave as he was.  I'm crying now as I think of him.)

I've been busy with my new kitty.  She has been a naughty girl, chewing on electrical and phone cords.  She has lots of toys and a couple nice scratching posts/beds, but she still likes to chew on cords.  I even bought her a couple "chew toys".