Valued Contributor

Hi Jackie!

I LOVE the pillow idea---putting one in between us to keep Joe on his side----it makes sense. I'm so used to hanging onto the side of the bed that it's hard to stay in the middle, but I'm managing--thanks for the pointer!

I had no trouble taking Femara (Letrozole, actually)---some muscle pain, but not enough to stop the drug--especially since it worked beautifully. Shrunk all of my tumors and kept new ones from forming--I thought I would be able to stay on it until the natural end to my life---imagine my horror when  my PET scan was perfectly normal last May, but by mid-November I had three lesions that lit up---I did not expect that! Also not shocked about the worsening of my insomnia as my bladder is hard to live with since I had intense radiation years ago--it made a mess of everything in my pelvic area and in the end, 18 months later, my cancer came back in full force. It hasn't been a month since I'm taking the Arimidex--will see what my oncologist says when I see her in mid-April.

Heard from a girlfriend that I used to be close to when we lived across the street from each other--and also worked together. She recently found out that she has multiple myeloma (I was stunned!) and started chemo--then has to go into the hospital for two weeks for very intense chemo--and then a stem cell transplant. I never knew much about this disease, so I did research---and now I'm devastated about what I read--it is incurable and 54% die within five years of diagnosis----and here I am complaining about my small spot of cancer that was able to be frozen and dissolved! My friend is the hero--not me. She survived breast cancer when she was in her early 40's, but now in her mid-60's she gets this diagnosis----as we all know, life can be so unfair.

Hope everyone is doing well....it's been sunny and getting warmer lately...looking forward to spring.

Valued Contributor

Hi Pam!

So the Arimidex did not agree with you as well----that's interesting. I had sore muscles while tkaing Femara too, but this feels worse--espcially in my hips and lower back. You are right--maybe it needs more time to settle in---hasn't even been a month taking it yet. I will mention all this to my oncologist during my telemedicine visit with her on Aprl 12. By then she'll have the results of my blood tests--and I'm sure will let me know if she sees anything funky. No PET scan planned until June--so happy I'm getting a break from all those scans and tests for awhile.

You are so right that I was lucky I didn't get hurt when I fell off the bed---I thought for sure I must've broken something--but I don't have osteoporosis yet (just osteopenia!). My knees have healed up already from a bit of bruising. I also could have hit my dresser, but I fell into a spot that was in between the bed and dresser--which I fit into perfectly---LOL!! I'm being super careful now--don't want a repeat of that scene!!

Be well!!!

Honored Contributor

@Gracies Mom ---Hi girl!!!--I tried to take all the aromatase meds for post meno women, after all my cancer treatments, but all of them made me feel awful with side effects, so my onc dr put me tamoxifen and that's what I took until just last year--gave me a few side effects at first,  but not as bad and then it was no big deal---it protected my bones but can cause uterine cancer and about year 9-ish-- I started having thickening of my uterus--had a d/c in 2021 then 2022 it had started to thicken again-- so I stopped taking it. Dr wanted me on it for 10 years but was ok with me stopping.Tamox is more for pre meno gals usually.

I fell once just a few days after I broke my ankle---just plain missed my chair and went thud on the floor--was on the carpet thankfully, but I had to belly crawl over to my bed and figure out how I needed to get up without using my bad leg--my DD was there and was in a panic as she couldn;t lift me or help lift me to my bed---I had to think about it strategically ---and really by the time I finally made it onto my bed--safely --and with no added injury--I had to laugh out loud. But was sore and a little bruised--must have landed on my hip--- but my bad ankle did not suffer---much. WE do not bounce like we used to!!!

Glad you are ok!!

PAM

Respected Contributor

Gracies Mom, that pillow was a game changer for me. I don't have the room for a king size bed which would have been a perfect solution. It's like a stop sign for your husband. Like stay on your side of the bed. It also cradles you. I picked my pillow because I actually love the pillows I have from the company. Why shoul wwehave to sleep at the edge of the bed. No quality in sleep and you fell. 

Finally got my hair done. Lord was I a mess. 

See if you can tough it out with these meds. Maybe you can take a pain killer for the aches and pains and keep moving. I still say it is the fillers in them that causes the problems. My Dr gave me some samples of brand Femara and I had no side effects. I hate generic drugs.

Trusted Contributor

@JackieHN wrote:

Yes pam, congrats on your one year anniversary. It was the best thing that happened to you. He's a rat.

Gracies mom I had side effects from femara for a few months and then things settled down. I also changed generic companies. My Dr said it could be the fillers in one brand compared to another I found the femara from CVS more tolerable.

OK this is what i did with the bed situation. I had the same problem. I bought a body pillow from my pillow. Put it in the center of the bed and said this is the divider, Do not cross it. Sleeping situation is better.

@JackieHN  The body center pillow situation is hysterical but it's a great idea!Woman LOL  My late husband used to pull the covers from me but not so much taking up my space.  I just ripped them back.  The one I'm with now is quiet and is wonderful to sleep with thank God. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

Hello @Gracies Mom  I was happy to hear from you and that you are doing ok.  I'm sorry to hear about the muscle pain you are enduring from the medication.  These side effects are horrible.

Jackie makes great points about these medications with their fillers, etc.  Sometimes I cannot tolerate generic but the original works great.

Anyway, my stomach is a mess as I'm sure you have read.  I'm so sensitive to most med's and cannot tolerate any kind of advil, iduprofen, etcetera for pain.  Only tylenol and that doesn't do much.  Only thing I can take for pain is tylenol with codeine on a low dose and they make such a big deal out of it.  They would rather me go to a marijuana clinic.  No way as it makes me very paranoid.

Ok, back to falling out of bed.  Well I'm sorry you fell out of bed but maybe it shook Joe (my late hubby's name too) to watch out.

Yes, you are very lucky you fell on the carpeting.

I have a good feeling about your upcoming results.  I hear the Doctors.  I know you have read my story.  I'm so over radiated they still don't want me to have any more x-rays for some time to come.  But I do go to dental cleanings every 3 months.  However, I will not allow x rays.  

We are going to Austria and Germany God willing in a few weeks.  Have cancelled this trip 3 times because of my illnesses since 2021  and then that darn broken ankle in September of last year. I'm so careful now.  Plus I'm treating myself to some laser treatments for a smooth flawless skin.  You can read it on "cool peel laser" in beauty section.  It's for me and only me. I'm beet red now, getting better today, but for people like us it's a piece of cake.

Ok, please keep us posted.  Happy Sunday to all!  Bunny.

Respected Contributor

Good for you Pink with the cold laser treatment. My GI Dr told me.If you have to take advil you need to take a prilosec with it. My stomach is still in an uproar if I take it which sort of annoys me. It would have helped with my trigger finger. It would have cut down the inflammation.  My typing is horrendous and the bloody thing is painful. I know I need surgery. Mind as well get it over with.

.You are going to look beautiful for your trip. I think we are kind of stoic from everything we've been through. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

@JackieHN wrote:

Good for you Pink with the cold laser treatment. My GI Dr told me.If you have to take advil you need to take a prilosec with it. My stomach is still in an uproar if I take it which sort of annoys me. It would have helped with my trigger finger. It would have cut down the inflammation.  My typing is horrendous and the bloody thing is painful. I know I need surgery. Mind as well get it over with.

.You are going to look beautiful for your trip. I think we are kind of stoic from everything we've been through. 

Hey @JackieHN  I have barrtett's, hiatal hernia, the works.  My stomach is shot along with esophogeal tract.  A prilosec won't help me with advil.  I can't even swallow an antibiotic.  Throw up the next day.  It's awful.  My diet is so limited.  I can't enjoy all the italian, etcetera spicier foods that I used too.

It's genetics for me.  We all have stomach problems.  My grandfather died from stomach ulcers.  By the way I take about 60 mg of prilosec a day.  The real one from Sweden not generic because it does not work.  Yes it's priceier but that's the way it goes.  I also swig about 4 tablespoons of gaviscon a day when nausea hits and sometimes take a pepcid before dinner.  Yeah, it's real sensitive. OY!!

PS.  King size beds are the best.  Have you ever thought of getting rid of one end table - (his end) to make the king size bed fit in your bedroom?  I have seen people do this because they will not give up their king's. lol.

Respected Contributor

Oh lord Pink, your a mess. I feel so bad for you. My GI Dr was giving me generic Prilosec and I said this stuff is not working. Went out and bought the brand. I just had a small irritation. Nothing as serious as what you have. What can you eat???? 

I have no room in this apt because since I bought this coop I gained a husband. When i purchased this place I did it with the sole purpose of living here alone. There was plenty of room for just me. I live in a great neighborhood near the Ocean. It's paid off. My body pillow is paying off. He hates it. I said there is another room go sleep in there or shut up. He's been dealing with it. Please note. I married my childhood boyfriend. We know each other for 53 years. 

Went to the dentist today. He said my water pik is working. Wants me to go to the oral surgeon for another evaluation on another tooth. Not an emergency. 

Passover is here. This food is going to kill me. I'm not used to eating like this anymore. The only way to get through it is to eat small portions. 

Honored Contributor

good morning all!!

Boy what a week for me--had appointments 4 days this week--Been trying to play catch up with the stuff I had to cancel after this stupid ankle thing--had my yearly physical with labs, which  came back so HORRIBLE, it made me cry!! Was the lipids that did me in---have family cholesterol issues and the numbers are the worst ever!!  But can't take statins and the natural supplements don't seem to be working--but surprise---I was able to get in to see my heart dr Friday at 8:15 in the morning----usually he is 2 months out for appts. He wants me to go to a lipid clinic to start taking a Repatha injection---tried to get this years ago, but my ins refused it. But now Medicare will cover it----so maybe there is hope.

Then got my hair cut --I think this girl is the one I've been looking for--she is a young thing with part pink hair and part purple hair--and actually knows how much 1/2 inch is---I told her how pleased I was with her first cut on my hair-- she laughed!!

Had a chiro appt too -- he works on my bad foot as well as the rest of me--he uses a hand punch type of device and doesn't twist or bend me--and for some reason that works so well on the top/outside  of my bad foot--I can walk better.

So a few appts down and another few to go---

Have to figure out our easter dinner menu--not going to my SIL this year, as her family is not vaccinated and the kids always come over sick---just not going to expose my self to any of that and it is supposed to pour down rain Sunday, so everyone will be in the house--no thank you!!!

Em--whats going on? Graciesmom--you too, how are you doing? 

PAM