Respected Contributor

They are calling the plan Medicare Advantage Plus. they are claiming that we won't have to change Dr's. All Dr's that are currently accepting medicare will accept this. Wrong!! My girlfirend called her Dr's and they said we will not accept it. There are 250,000 of us who are involved plus they are telling us straight out that many tests and procedures will need pre- authorization. We currently have senior care with emblem health. that is paid for by the city. We do have our medicare deducted as like everyone else but we get a big fat check once a year to reimburse us. This affects the Dr's nurses, police, firefighters, EMS, all hospital workers and the list goes on. If we want to keep what we have which is pretty good we will have to pay a premium of about 200 a month. 

Respected Contributor

Jackie - oh, ok, I see what you're saying and I know nothing about those sorts of arrangements, but sounds like you had a really good thing going there.  Too bad they're wanting to change it.

I know how hard it is to compare insurance plans, but I know you will make the best decsion you can for your needs.  You're a smart one.  Go with the one you are most comfortable with and understand the best.  Problem is, sometimes rumors fly at first and you don't know what to believe.

Valued Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

Hi All!

I am becoming eligible for Medicare next month. I was flooded with Medicare insurance info. Bottom line is this--make 100% sure your doctors and hospitals accept whatever Medicare insurance you chose!

My internist made it perfectly clear that he and his group DO NOT accept ANY Medicare Advantage plans--he even has a sign on his office door that states it.

In addition, my cancer doctors and cancer hospital only accepts traditional Medicare--and have made that clear on their website and bills.

And so, in the end, I am now enrolled in traditional Medicare along with my husband's secondary insurance that is self-funded by his union--which covers the same balance bills as other secondary insurances do. I am also covered with Silver Script--which is like Medicare Part D--except it is also funded by my husband's union and basically covers the same drugs and supplies.

Be very careful when deciding what to do about Medicare and which plan to choose! Your insurance is useless if your doctors do not accept it--unless you don't mind swtching to doctors that accept it. Be sure any specialized hospitals you use also accept the Advanage plans. You don't want any surprises down the line!

Hope everyone is doing well.

God Bless,

Gracies/RemysMom

Respected Contributor

Graciesmom and Lannie, I belong to all of the retirement sites. Nursing, police and teachers. We all agreed to stay where we are and not go into this medicare advantage plus as they call it. We are going to negotiate the premiums with the city. Some of the unions want the to take them to court. So we will see what happens. 

Stepson adn wife are moving to Melbourne in Nov. They want us to come to London the middle of Aug because it's convenient for them. News flash. Jackie isn't going. I will not travel in the dead and August. I will not be quarantined for 5 days and pay 500 for two covid tests a piece. You know what they can kiss. They are quitting their jobs here. They have no employment there. I had it out with daughter in law. She says I'm not fair because I said we weren't privy to anything going on with them. We are stressed. i said well how am I suppose to know. I'm disgusted. I'm tired. I told husband. You go. Can you imagine what Heathrow is going to look like in the dead of August. There will be a million people there.

Respected Contributor

Jackie - the last thing in the world I would want to do right now is to travel a long distance.  I don't know what Heathrow is, so can't even comment on that.

What I do know is that unvaccinated people are NOT wearing masks like they should, to protect themselves and other and so they are spreading this Delta strain to each other like wildfire (that's another issue unfortunately) and thousands upon thousand are getting this strain of Covid and spreading it, not only among themselves, but to some(a few) who ARE vaccinated. 

I have put my mask back on when going out, like to the grocery stores.

No one is wearing a mask there and you KNOW they aren't ALL vaccinated.  I'm so sick of these people putting others at risk. They could at least use some common sense - we are still in a pandemic!!!

It's hot and humid again here, so ac is on again.  I think I may spend my summers in Alaska!

Respected Contributor

Husband booked his flight and his airbnb. His room will be right across the street from them. He will have to take 2 covid tests on the 2nd day of arrival and the 8th. He will also be quarantined for 5 days. My daughter in law already gave him instructions that the baby is on a very strict schedule with the nanny and she will notify him when during the day he can come over. I said when did she turn into a witch. Nope, none of this flies with me. I am sure they will not adjust their schedule with friends to accommodate him. Jackie will be married to her oral surgeon for the next month which means weekly visits. This implant is iffy. I told him. Your going to have a grand old time with a woman who has to micro manage everything. Plus she's nasty. 

Honored Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness --Heathrow is the airport in London--a HUGE airport--never been myself and probably never will.

I am wearing mask as before and never really stopped except when outside-----have a hunch this Delta strain is going to wallop us. I don't trust anyone to protect anyone including themselves. Like I say--it should hurt to be stupid!!!!

Honored Contributor

@JackieHN ----well.........am glad you are not going. What are you going to do with him when he comes home??? Got a dog house somewhere he can quarantine in???Woman Frustrated

Oh geez forgot about your teeth adventure-------Still gotta find me a new dentist too---

Respected Contributor

Well my implant is in. He came an hour late. Husband parked the car in front of the place and left me no quarters for additional time. He only put in for 2 hrs. The place is only 3 blocks away and he walked home. I wanted the car so i could pick up my script for antibiotics. i have to drive there. PS it wouldn't take my debit card. Before the meter ran out he shows up to feed it and waited. I called him. I wanted to kill him. Anyway i'm married to this Dr. Have to show up every week for 6 weeks for a checkup. Rinse 6x a day. Oh the joys of implants. Cost 1400 and that was without the bone graft. Then I need a crown. We are looking at 3000 for this tooth. However even if I got a bridge i would need two crowns plus the cost of the bridge. Comes out to the same amount. 

I have a perfect excuse for not going to the UK Now. 

Honored Contributor

@JackieHN ----well that will keep you out of trouble------and the UK  Woman Wink

I am going to see a dr about my shoulder today--it's been giving me grief lately---think I hurt it a few years ago with all the  the moving and lifting from house to house I did since 2018. It's my right one and I am right handed--crimps my style---- Have a knee and a hip to see about too. Still am covered on the "idiots" medical ins.  til the final papers are filed so may as well use it. it is thru the union so is very good.

DD and I walked to a local park where our town is doing a summer fest this month---lots of food trucks and the best thing---kids on the stage singing rock n roll tunes---was great !! and they did pretty good--but we left as it was 88* at 6 p.m. and was just too hot----heat is not my friend anymore----going to be near 90 today and Friday too---