Respected Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

Trenet despite it all your doing well. She milked the drain as we call it here. What you saw with the blood is normal. When there is less than 50CC of drainage the darn thing comes out. So I expect the Surgeon to remove it on Monday. 

I'm sorry you are so uncomfortable with all of this. It will take awhile to recover. However I will stress one thing. Get that arm moving. Yes it's going to feel stiff and yes it is going to hurt. Do your exercises. He will test your range of motion with that arm on Monday. 

As far as your zig zag's I guess it's normal depending on the surgery. You will find out Monday how many nodes were removed. yes you will see bumps. Just keep the area clean and dry. If you see any drainage coming from the surgical site then call him. I used my bacitracin ointment after I changed the dressings a million times a day. Don't go by me. I'm excessive at times. My surgeon though was impressed. She said your recovery is remarkable. My husband told her she had OCD with this. I said wouldn't it be embarrassing if a nurse developed a post surgical infection. Many women can't look at the surgical site and wait to see the Dr for a dressing change. No good. Let's face it's traumatizing. I just said, lord she cut me up like a chicken. 

You will feel better with each day. Attitude is 90% of your success with the recovery. It's over. Now heal.

Honored Contributor

@trenet-----yes--- to all the weird bumps and lumps you have now---my wonderful surgeon left me with extra skin for pockets if I wanted new "girls" to be built--which I won't--not interested in those anymore. but the things  under your arms are called dog ears----that's what they look like and are pulled around the implant or whatever for new boobs----looks pretty weird . My scars on both breast areas are not smooth but wavy too. But I healed up well and please---do what jackie suggested and get that arm moving----you need to break up that scar tissue that is forming ---now don't go out and throw a javelin but gently move in all directions a few times a day. The dr will want to move your arm. And you will feel so much better when those drains are out too---as soon as I was healed, I rubbed in Vit E capsules over the scar and also massaged it too--that will help you not have such a thick scar. Of course-----do what your dr says--and make sure you tell him/her about your pain elsewhere too. 

Big deep cleansing breathes when you are feeling down---that helps too. you will overcome this and get on with phase 2----

pam

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beautification ritual done. Hair was dyed and cut. I told him don't go nuts with those scissors.and he didn't. Also had eyebrows waxed. I feel human again. 

Trenet when you feel up to it I suggest a day at the hairdresser. Trust me, mentally you need this. Anyway it's going to be difficult for you to wash your hair yourself. Of course hubby can help.  You won't have the range of motion in your affected arm yet. Now, are we doing our exercises. Just take your advil before you start. That's what I did. I knew it was going to be painful and I washed windows a day after surgery with my drain in. Your surgery was more extensive than mine so I wouldn't recommend this.Your goal is to be able to lift your arm above your head. It will take time. 

I am having a semi vacation with Fran in the rehab center. However she calls me everyday. I try to give her pep talks to get her out of her slump. She's frustrated. 

Resting up today a bit. That means cleaning without going out.  

Honored Contributor

@JackieHN----you must look beautiful Woman Very Happy!!!! got my hair cut Monday and new girl did a great job------poor Fran--can't help myself---these feisty dames need some TLC too. You are prob the reason she is still around and kicking------

Hubs comes home today--huge, sigh-------was nice for the week he was gone. DD and I ate the things he hates----not sure he is glad to be home--maybe for his own bed but not much more----Man Sad

Respected Contributor

Thanks Pam for the compliment but I would say I look human again not beautiful. Lord ladies we have to do this once in awhile. My girlfriend goes for facials every month. I don't know if I would consider doing that but it sounds good.

Respected Contributor

@trenet- those drains will come out soon and things will get better.  You had a major surgery to get rid of that toxic tumor and yes, it is very intrusive.  It is an insult to our bodies.  But I think it was the best decision.  It is out of there now and you can concentrate oh healing.  Our bodies are wonderful that way.

I am so sorry you have had to go through this for so long.  All those drs appointments and check ups - it seems as though our whole lives revolve around them.

Our Hospital/Cancer Clinic holds a support group (led by a drs wife who had breast cancer and happens to be a psychologist) and quarterly informational meetings for patients and their families and support friends, always with some good healthy snacks (fresh fruit, etc).  It helped me tremendously, because some of them knew what it was like to go through this difficult journey.  We could share our stories and not feel alone. And laugh - we have to keep our sense of humor thoughout this all.

Besides this board, which was a life saver for me, it helped me deal with a lot of things I had to.  That includes comments of I suppose well meaning people who didn't have a clue about this disease and it's treatments and mental, emotional and physical effects.

I'm still not over it, with what I all had to deal with, and I think some of us have PTSD from our sometimes horrific journey.  I can sympathize (yes we deserve sympathy sometimes) and try to encourage and comfort others because of what I went through.  It was not easy. I stayed strong because I had to, what other choice do we have.  Then were times I just cried and then carried on.

So, take good care of yourself, you have so much to deal with, but recovering from your surgery will get better every day!  Let us know how you are doing.  Heart

Valued Contributor

Any football fans here ladies? We are going to a small super bowl party but it's always fun! I could care less who wins but the food and snacks and commercials are fun!  I had my biopsy on Friday and have some stitches this time. I'm a little sore and the stitches are itchy but otherwise I'm good. Results will be later on during the week. I am feeling very upbeat about the situation! Enjoy the game!  Em

Honored Contributor

Trenet, sorry for your pain.  It should get a little better each day.

Jackie, I don't walk on the driveway when it isn't totally clear.  I drive to the mailbox and back.  It looked like it melted most of it today.  I can understand Fran's son having his own problems, but who does he think will look out for his mother? You?

Pam, sorry no words for you.  Maybe he'll go away again.

Em, I may watch the superbowl.  We'll see how tomorrow goes.

leaving on a jet plane....LOL.  Leaving in Weds.  Stopping in CT until Sunday, then heading to GA.  Gonna see if I can find BFF.

Honored Contributor

@embgm---hi em--no, not a sports fan and could care less about any of it altho our womens teams do very well in WA state--not into the guys sports--waste of time IMO=====

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Em - yes I am a huge football fan and will be watching he pre-game shows as well the game. I guess I'll be rooting for the Chiefs as the "other team" prevented my team from going to the Super Bowl!  

And let us know about your biopsy results!  Heart