Respected Contributor

Em where are my brains. Wonderful news. Bloody adhesions. 

OK I'm tuned up, Went to the neurologist and got my injections in my neck. Feel so much better. She recommends Salonpas patches for pain. 

Trusted Contributor

OK days and not-so-ok days.  Last drain out on the 3rd.
Had to get aspiration of a hematoma/seroma a few days ago as I sprung a leak!  (My surgi-strips brown with old blood - yuck!

Dr. didn't think change necessary)  

CT done yesterday. I took first available. Saturday appointment great - so much quieter. I am a very "difficult stick", so, they had me arrive 45 min earlier than appointment time but, all went smoothly and I was finished with all before the scheduled appointment time!    Med. oncologist thinks I should get a port even if not getting infusion chemo.  The previous week I was supposed to get a brain MRI but, after 3 people and 6 pokes were unsuccessful, I said enough!  Have to try another day. 

Doing all prescribed exercises but, still can't raise arm straight up all the way yet. Next physical therapist appointment Tuesday.

Inner upper arm pain still present but, better.    Pain continues in ribs, especially near surgery seam but, pain also in other parts of chest - sternum, opposite side rib cage.  (Also, coccyx and lower pelvic/ "sit" bone pain, especially at night. Hoping CT will show what is going on there. Additional metastases or additional degeneration?)    Mainly taking Tylenol or Advil for pain;  have been able to limit Oxycodone 5mg to night.

Husband still home as he has shingles, including on his head. Lesions mostly on stomach with a few on scalp but, a lot of head nerve pain which was the first symptom that appeared. 

Trusted Contributor

@JackieHN 

Envious of your upcoming trip. I always envision transatlantic crossing like all the old 30's movies!  
I have been wanting to go to Europe,especially France and UK since pre-school.  (Couldn't afford when younger, then previous trips got canceled due to lymphoma recurrences and this past year with the breast tumour that ate Cleveland!) 
I want to go without husband, rent a cottage in the English countryside and do a little painting.  

Respected Contributor

Trenet we were all worried about you. Having a hematoma is nothing abnormal. I worry more about infection. OK girlfriend, time to get out the windex. Time for you to be washing windows. You have to get that arm moving and it's going to hurt like heck. I had the drain in when I did it. Everyday you have to lift that arm a little higher and one good thing about doing windows is that you have to concentrate on what your doing. A port may not be a bad idea if you have no veins. It's just another thing to take care of. Please try to sleep with a heating pad on your lower back. It may help. 

I told husband if we are quarantined for any reason I will kill him. Although having someone serving you food 3 time a day is not a bad idea. Unfortunately I will be sharing a room with him which is not great.  
Sorry about your husband shingles. Stay far away from him. That's the last thing you need. Try to keep your chin up. Lannie will tell you what happened to her after surgery. She was a mess. Your over the hump now just recover.

Honored Contributor

@trenet-----well, you sound like things are getting a little better??? Very sorry about the other painful areas tho---and I agree that getting a port may be so much better for you--I had one during chemo and it was easy and effective. Yes I remember how hard it was to get the  use back to your arm but just stretching it a little more every day will really help and do it several times a day. Not so it hurts, just till you feel a stretch---I was not washing windows as our super RN did--geez, I still don't do windows   Woman Wink I usually try for Sat appts too--just a different vibe then----also was going to uggest finding some muscle cream with CBD in it for your sore spots-----I use some and I find it really helps. I get mine locally. there are some creams that have a tiny bit of cbd in it---this one is the real deal. 

keep us posted!!

pam

Respected Contributor

@trenet- so good to hear from you!  Surgery is an assult to our bodies, and as wonderfully as it can heal itself, there are usually some issues that need extra care.

Jackie is right about all the complications I had.  Two months worth.  Had to delay chemo several times.  I hesitate to even tell anyone about it who is facing surgery - my case was not normal by any means.

I had 4 surgeries that took over 4 1/2 hours.  Would never ever do that again, it was too much.  I had what my dr called a partial mastectomy.  Then lymph node was positive, so I had a axillary dissection.  I had a port placed right away as they knew I had to have chemo, given the aggressiveness of my type of breast cancer.  Then I had a breast reduction done on my other breast, because I was uneven to begin with and of course the cancer was on my smaller breast.

First post op found out I had a very large hematoma that needed to be taken care of right away.  So he had to re-open my whole incision and evacuate it, which he did right then and there in his office procedure room.  Re-stitched i back up, also aspirated a seroma. Then I had to drive myself home in a snow storm and hope the numbing didn't wear off before I got there.

Yikes this is bringing back some awful memories - I think I will tell you the rest later if you want to hear, there is a lot more, I just can get it all out right now and don't want to turn this into a novel!

You just take care of yourself and let us know about the CT results.  I think the worst of the surgery is over.  Maybe heat will help like Jackie mentioned or a memory foam type cushion to sit on?

I took Oxycodone on my really bad chemo days and it was a life saver for me.

Hang in there,

Lannie

Respected Contributor

Trenet I just had a idea. What about some pain patches. Salonpas makes one that you can buy over the counter. With lidacaine patches you need a script. Both are effective.

Another day more excercises. Get that arm up. Once you get it moving everyday will get easier. Use it instead of your unaffected arm. And you can scream ouch all you want. It's allowed. Just take a motrin before you start. 

Honored Contributor

Back from GA.  The person I was supposed to work with had turned in his two week notice.  I ended up with someone else, but they were too busy to meet up.  What a waste of time, but it's done.

I caught another cold and spent the weekend resting.  It's not as bad as last time.  Have a cough and a little congestion left.  Should move on in a day or two.

Sister is still on lockdown.  It goes back and forth.  She had a stomach virus over the weekend.

Trenet, do what they say.  LOL.  If drawing blood is that problematic, a port may be the way to go.  You'll have to go in to have it flushed though it it's not used enough.  I used to have trouble long ago where I had to have blood drawn from my hand.  One day, the issue went away. I rarely have trouble these days.  When I do, I don't think I'm the problem.

Honored Contributor

Em, way to go.  🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Respected Contributor

Oh GC, sorry you are sick again. You need a proper vacation. Not going to your mother's. A place on the beach with a drink in hand and some relaxation. Hope you had least had some good southern cuisine while you were in Georgia. 

Well, nurse Rachett gave it to Fran this morning. She was lying in bed and said she couldn't get up. She was out of it. I said well you've had every test imaginable for a person your age that they are willing to do and your healthy. so get up and get dressed and stop the pity party. I'm going shopping and when I come back I want you up. Sure enough I came back and she was up with a smile on her face eating.. Lord give me strength. 

GC these nursing homes are a breeding ground for the flu and every other communicable disease. I would say that it is likely that the staff is bringing it in.