Respected Contributor

@trenet  - I guess I should have clarified to "Watch your incision closely for any unusual redness or swelling." AFTER" they have taken the first post surgical bandages off, AFTER you go back for your 1st post op.  I sure didn't mean for you to remove any dressings right now, I'm so sorry if I gave you that impression.  I meant to keep an eye on it as it's healing.

I ended up getting a full blown staph infection in one of my incisions, but it wasn't right away.  But my surgeon didn't catch it because I didn't have a fever.  Well, he was giving me Vicodin which had Tylenol in it, which was keeping my fever down. - can't win some times!  Fortunately my cancer dr caught it right away before I had any chemo.

Hope you're doing ok today!

Honored Contributor

Surgery went well.  Yahoo 🎉🎉🎉🎉 Don't overdo it.  Need to make sure you take extra good care of you.

Respected Contributor

Trenet hope you are OK. Your probably very very sore. Just eat, drink lots of fluids and take your pain meds. 

OK Fran is a pain in the neck. She hates the rehab center. I said if they put you in the Plaza you would hate that too because your not home. I don't want to hear it. Your there for a reason. To get stronger. Her aide has been coming everyday to keep her company. 

Got rid of 6 sets of sheets. They don't match my room and they have had their day. I bought a new set on overstock which are lovely on the bed. 

Husband is going to work tomorrow. Thank you lord. I said your work is done here. 

Honored Contributor

jackie-----my hubs is gone until Friday, working in Oregon!!!! Oh happy day !!!! Left before noon Sunday , so DD and I went to bring home  Mexican food. Was delicious---brought it home so we had it to munch on for lunch and dinner. 

Spent much of Saturday actually vacuuming some of the empty carpet area I have been clearing. Huge goal is to move and clear 2 rooms downstairs that are full of boxes, find them homes either here or way and get my house back. Got a big order coming from AMZ today--one big wire shelving unit for upstairs in the master b-room and that is where alot of stuff will go. Will get small boxes of stuff into bigger boxes to stack on the shelves---and go thru them to donate too.

Went out with friends and my brother and his wife to dinner at an Italian place--was so good. My bro bought us dinner as a gift to the hubs for his b-day next month------a month early but whatever. Hubs was socially acceptable too--usually his is a sullen jerk--we don't go out together much anymore because of that. 

trenet--how are you doing? 

Weather very mild and but wet here. Birds are starting to chirp earlier these days. My tiny daffodils and hyacinth are staring to poke thru. Lilies are still sleeping----

Going to get my hair cut today and hopefully to see my chiro, then home to start my ever present sorting and stacking-------

Think DD and I will have fish sammies for dinner tonite--got an airfryer finally and that dang thing is the bomb!!!! 

pam

Honored Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

Husbands out of the house, happy dance 💃💃💃

Okay Jackie, I need you to hop in your car and drive north.  Sister could use a talk like fran.  Sister attended an AA meeting last night.  She found it on the internet.  It's held in the hospital, which is across the street.  She asked social worker.  SW said don't know how we can get you there on Sunday nights.  I asked SW twice.  No answer.  Sister asked head nurse and he said yes.  He assigned an aid to walk her across the street and wait.  We'll see how that goes.  

Heading out of dodge next week.

Respected Contributor

GC how wonderful if they can get sister at these meetings. At least she realizes she has a problem and will be able to voice  herself there. 

I have some serious problems here with Fran and her demented children. I think I'm going to open up a nursing home and put all of them in one place. Your sister will be included. Anyway I digress. Stuart her son has informed Fran that he will no longer come here or take care of her. He told her not to call him and he has his own health issues to work out. She called me last night to tell me all of this. I just said WHAT. She said it's you and me that's it. He wants nothing to do with me. The other two children want no responsibility for her. She will be in the nursing home for the next two weeks. Lord give me strength. 

On a good note I'm getting my hair done tomorrow. I don't expect to walk out with any. When this man gets scissors in his hand it's over with. I need a day of beautification. Between husband and her I'm cooked. 

Respected Contributor

Drama with Fran's son is over. I played nurse. I said I know how difficult she is and I know hwat you are going through but you have to forge ahead. He said he spoke to her this morning and apologized for anything she may have said to him. He's coming in Feb 9th for a few days to get her settled once she comes out of the rehab center. WHEW.

Trenet what's going on. We haven't heard from you

Honored Contributor

Frans children are horrible.  I can understand them not wanting to get involved, but who do they think will take care of her.  That's like BFFs brother with their mother.  Hey, where is BFF?

Nothing going on here. It's going to be 40 this weekend.  My driveway is like a skating rink.  Sure hope it melts, so the next time it shows it's not under the snow.  Not to worry though, it's dropping back to 20 next week.

Respected Contributor

In defense of Stuart. He has 4 stents in his heart, was diagnosed with kidney cancer last year and has a rod in his back. He is also 77 years old. Everything medically is under control but he's tired. I said we will do the best we can. You are not alone in any of this. The other two siblings are useless. Fran's daughter is 80 and the youngest son is 74 living in the UK. One grandchild is bipolar and was just released from the psychiatric ward of a hospital and the other grandchild is living in Texas and has a full time job. It's a pretty bad situation. 

GC is there any way you can clear out that ice before you fall and break something?? I don't trust weather reports. Here they are always wrong. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness @JackieHN @wagirl @GCR18 

Been having difficulty posting, not sure what problem. 

Still sleeping in recliner, angle not quite right but, haven't been able to get comfy in bed - covers seem so heavy and difficult to get of
f.  

Friday, I removed surgical bra and gauze. Dressing and surgi-strips were to stay on but, I was to change bandage and bio-patch where drains come out. Couldn’t as the biopatch had wiry sutures across it; husband was able to tape some clean gauze over; went for nurse visit a Monday. She was able to get old biopatch off and simply put new one atop the suture. Large bandaid over. She said up to me whether I put surgical bra back on, I left off to lessen pain on my ribs. She also did a more successful “stripping” of tube which resulted later in a weird, worm-like red thing coming out of drain. Surgeon post-op tomorrow, hoping for at least one drain to be removed.

Looks like my new “seam” is sort of wavy across chest - like my sewing in jr high; and I have a big, puffy lump behind where drains go in, sort of under arm, around to back.  (Is this normal?) Trying to do the proscribed exercises. In addition to Pain across chest, also pain on back, upper inner arm, scapulae, clavicle. Alternating Tylenol and Advil.

40% of my life, I have had cancer and treatments- this is worst pain ever and most intrusive in my life. 

Thank you for all your insight.