Respected Contributor

@AkaGoldie - I'll keep you in my prayers, Goldie.  I'm glad you're getting an evalution from Cancer Treatment Centers of America.  I hope and pray they will have the right treatment for you, and you'll be back in remission again.  I checked their website, and it seems they do everything they can for the patient (they won't give up on you).

Respected Contributor

Thank you Lyn, and your cousin sounds like a wonderful man - would have liked to have him in my chemo room!

Your kitty sounds pretty typical - naughty, lol!!!  That little stinker - what's with her fixation on the cords??!!!  You're doing everything you can by trying to distract her.  She will grow out of some of this, but it is frustrating in the mean time.  How old is she?  It's a good thing they're so cute - I hope she is giving you some entertainment and laughs also!

Lannie

Honored Contributor

Re: Cancer survivors

[ Edited ]

Lannie, I was scheduled to have my port out on July 1.  Then last weekend, I saw on the hospital website that I was scheduled for June 28.  I asked around again and got a ride lined up.  I called that mean lady and asked when I was scheduled for.  In the computer it was June 28.  In the manual appt book they have, I was July 1.  She forgot to update the computer.  I told her to just keep it on June 28.

I was all ready to go this morning and no ride.  I got in my car and was just going to drive myself.  I didn't get far and saw my ride.  She forgot about today.  The story is longer, but I'll spare you the details.  We got there 15 minutes late.  I was a little frazzled, but everything went fine.

I was there for four hours. It took 1/2 hour to get me prepped in the OR.  then it took maybe a 1/2 hour to take it out and stitch me up.  I was awake but was given something in the IV for pain and the area around the port was numbed.  I didn't feel anything.  The drugs started wearing off a couple hours after it was done.  I'm going to take a Tylenol before bed.  I can't lift my arms over my head or pickup anything over ten pounds for two weeks.  I can't let shower spray on the area for two weeks.  I was told no work tomorrow.  And finally, I have to go back on Tuesday for the Dr to have a look at it.  I have a five minute appt.  It was a BIG event.

Honored Contributor

Lynn, I've been meaning to talk cats with you.  I hate to tell you, but Ricky and Lucy chewed MANY cords.  I tried everything and it didn't work.  Get cord protectors at the home depot before the baby ruins something.  I've had computer cords, tv cords, lamp cords chewed.  They were at it a while before I found out.  I'm still child proofed even though I have no children.  

Honored Contributor

Goldie, I have some inspirational sayings for you.  I have to use my computer though to post them.  I'll get on that in a day or two.

Valued Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Goldie, I have some inspirational sayings for you.  I have to use my computer though to post them.  I'll get on that in a day or two.

Grace, I'd appreciate that.  Send them right along. 

Im glad you all have heard good things about cancer treatment centers. All I know is what I've seen on their tv commercials. Yes I have to travel, about 800-900 miles . We fly out the 13th. But if it really is a place that doesn't give up on you, then it will be worth it. I need a dr and a team that believes I have a chance to keep going for awhile longer. I'm just not ready to give up.  I know they aren't magicians, but I also know that where there's life there's hope. 

lyn, your kitty sounds like a feisty little thing. I hope he keeps you company!  And yes, sounds like you need some cord protectors. 

Goldie

Valued Contributor

Goldie--I'm glad you've decided to fight for your life and get another opinion--wondeful news!! I only hear good things about Cancer Centers of America. Which one are you going to? The closest one to me is the one in Philadelphia--about a five hour drive. If Sloan-Kettering couldn't help me, I was going to make an appointment at the Philly CCA. It's definitely worth the trip--the doctors there will do their very best to help--and will not give up on you like your doctor did (shameful!). Of course, as always, you are in my daily prayers!!!!

My Gracie is doing fine now--she is off the two antibiotics and is well. Hopefully the enteritis won't come back--we will be wiping her feet every time she comes in from the back yard just in case she's stepping in something that is contaminating her digestive system (can't stop her from licking her feet).

God bless!!

Occasional Contributor

Goldie what about the one in Tulsa?

Respected Contributor

Goldie, I too have heard great things about Cancer Centers of America, especially for patients who need 'over and above' in terms of cutting edge yet proven care. You may be exactly where God wants you to be going!

Please know that even f I dont always post I'm rooting and praying for you...and all of us.

I've begun taking Pilates and Water Cardio 3x a week to build up muscle strength and stamina. It will be a long haul. I've also completed sending all materials needed for LT disability as per my employers encouragement. Unsure as to outcome.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness - My kitty is only 10 weeks old (as of Monday).  She likes to chew on stuff, so I think she may be teething.  I do hope she grows out of that.  I bought CritterCords (they are pretty expensive, but are supposed to have bitter apple or something like that which cats don't like).  I ordered some other cord covers from Amazon, but I haven't received them yet.  I also ordered 3 chew toys, but two of them are too big for her.  She does use one of them once in awhile, but the little stinker likes to chew on other things, too.

I vacuumed the floors this morning, and she made a mad dash into the living room.  I had no idea where she was, and I found her later curled up on the bottom shelf of my tea cart in one of my oval casserole dishes!  She's there again as I type this message.

I can tell you one thing:  I don't think of my cancer so much now that she's here, as she really keeps me busy!

I ordered a new sofa for my living room, and I want to sell or donate my sofa sleeper.  No place will take it as a donation.  I put flyers in our laundry rooms and in the office, but I really don't think I'll hear from anyone.  Luckily, I found a junk pickup company that will pick up my sofa sleeper (I'll have to pay, though) and will give it to a poor family (at least, it won't be thrown in the trash!).  I need to give them a few days notice to pick it up.  I'll be getting my new sofa in 30 days, so I have a little while to wait and see if anyone else wants it.